Question about machines and progress...

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I have an appointment with an orthopedist on Wednesday to check out my left shoulder. In the meantime, I've started back at the gym again (after another 5 month layoff - last time was my right shoulder) but I can only use free-weights for biceps, triceps, a little bit of back and traps (upper body, of course). I can go light with dumbells for chest but once I started adding weight, I get pain...

Anyway. It seems that I can use the Nautilus machines without too much of a problem. Basically pain free (so far). Worst case scenario, if I have to stick with these machines for the rest of my life, could I expect any progress at all in muscle size? I mean, I don't rack any of the machines - so what if in 6 months or so I'm racking them all for 14 reps a piece. Can I expect any gains? Or am I pretty much in retirement?

Thanks in advance...

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I would think that as long as your weight or reps are going up, coupled of course with eating a lot, you could still make progress. But once you are beyond the weight of the machine I think it would be hard to gain anything since your muscle is no longer stressed like it used to be. Maybe find a new gym with hammer strength stuff? It's pretty hard to use up all the bar for 45's on those.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I would think that as long as your weight or reps are going up, coupled of course with eating a lot, you could still make progress. But once you are beyond the weight of the machine I think it would be hard to gain anything since your muscle is no longer stressed like it used to be. Maybe find a new gym with hammer strength stuff? It's pretty hard to use up all the bar for 45's on those.
I second that.

I use the Hammer Strength for bench since there is nobody at my gym at 5:30 AM to spot me. I feel I get a great workout from it.

spatch

spatch

Awards
  • Established
Your much, MUCH better off using machines for a while, and not risking a nother sholder injury. Remember, while the sholder has the greatest range of motion of any joint in the body, its also one of the weakest and easiest to injure. Good luck.