Metacarple Syndrome... getting out of hand.. Help!

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Metacarpel Syndrome(sp) in my left forearm/wrist/hand is getting to the point I'm unable to adequately work my bicep.

THe motion of any bicep curl... is becoming debilitatingly painful. Weights been dropping steadily of late to compensate... and it's hella frustrating.

Some of you know, I'm on hgh, and igf... and that's a huge factor in this. Also I work a desk job where I type all day long.. (mostly on forums.. lol) As I type this, my left hand is going numb... And my wrist/forearm aches.

I'm stubborn, so I'm not willing to stop hgh.. and I just finished a 3 week run of igf.. so i might improve in the next three weeks.. but In the long run I think it's going to get worse until I stop.

I'm thinking of seeing my doctor.. and requesting a specilist which could provide me with a brace that I could wear during the day and night....

I'm pretty sure my GP will also proscribe all the perscription strength anti-inflams I could want.. he has before when I complained of pain, when I started lifting.

I'm also wondering what you guys think of heavyly taping my hand/wrist and forearm to the point that my wrist is imobilized, and factored out of bicep curls...?

Is there kick ass long wrist wraps available that could do the same as a heavy tape job?

Basically I'm looking for advice and help and ideas (even a emotional lift would be nice.. :p)... It's really starting to hurt, and it's frustrating to stagnate like that, when everything else is coming along so marvelously.. (315 bb squats for 12 reps yesterday.. ;) - lol that reminds me I ripped 2 pairs of jeans across my quads in 9 days)

HELP!!!

thanks.

mab904

mab904

Awards
Don't know if this will be of any help and my even sound a bit strange. I injured my wrist a few months back. Must have been a pinched nerve or something. The pain was awful when I tried to do curls. Like a knife stuck in there. I figured it would get better with time but did not want to settle for using less weight. So for a few weeks I wore one of my in-line skating wrist guards under a wrist wrap during curls. The wrist guards have a metal plate across the wrist that keeps that joint immobile. Worked pretty well for me and let me use the heavier weight. :)

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You could try using one of those metal hooks for artificial gripping (what people use when their grip is not up to their lifting weight).

Or you could do close grip chins for biceps to give your wrist a break and work on typing posture :)

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks Mab904 and Hypo...

Not sure I like the hook idea.. My grip is fine, Don't think the hook will actually prevent my wrist from moving... It just helps you to not drop the weight.. ALthough better form in typing is actually a Good idea. Time to invest in a ergonomic key board? (let the boss bitch)

I do like you suggest Mab904, where the heck does one find a suitible piece of material I can strap to my forearm/wrist/hand? HMmmmm.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know what Mab is talking about. I used to wear them when I rollerbladed as a young'n. You could pick them up at any sports authority type store. They're just called wrist guards IIRC. Although from what I remember they wouldn't allow you to grip, as a flat metal bar goes across the bottom of your wrist and up across your palm.

You could try normal wrist wraps and improvise your own flat metal bar that ran across the back of your wrist, that might work.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'll check it out..

Perhaps a drug store or safety supply store would have a forearm splint or something of that nature aswell?

Thanks for the input. :)

nodgodbod

Awards
Maybe try dosing with 2 grams a day of glucosamine and chondroitin might improve things aswell - but it may take a few weeks for the effects to kick in.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Maybe try dosing with 2 grams a day of glucosamine and chondroitin might improve things aswell - but it may take a few weeks for the effects to kick in.
Thanks but I've been taking about 3 grams a day for 1.5 years now....

I've also been taking cissus rx for 2 months.. and i must say this had worked wonders on my shoulders and elbows... (lifting lots more on overhead tricep extensions and incline presses.. and pain free.)

But it's not doing it for the wrist.. which also makes me think it's metacarple syndrome.. since it's a nerve related pain.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
Or you could do close grip chins for biceps to give your wrist a break ...
I agree with Hypo. I have forearm splints that prevent heavy curls. So I have switched to close grip chins...no pain and boy have my biceps grown.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I agree with Hypo. I have forearm splints that prevent heavy curls. So I have switched to close grip chins...no pain and boy have my biceps grown.
I'll definately have to keep that in mind then guys... I will resist for now.. but it would hurt to add them to my current workout. and opt something out. :)

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I had the same exact problem awhile ago. It was so frustrating, and I basically could not do curls. Well, after my last year of college where I basically didn't workout at all I find that the problem has corrected itself.

I don't exactly how much help that is for you, though.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I bought one of them wrist braces specifically designed for the syndrome.... I'm going to try wearing it at work and at night... see if it helps the situation.

I'm also going to try it at gym, but it may be difficult to grip with it on... Will probably wrap my wrist and forearm tightly first with those tensor bandages...

We'll see how it goes i guess. :think:

p.s. my typing speed just took a massive dump. :p