Poll: Do you stretch for 5 minutes or longer a day?

Stretching

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. I use to practice karate and my sensei honed in on the importance of stretching.. all that went out myear as soon as I finished. Now I am really appreciating the importance of it. Improved flexibility and less soreness allows me to train harder the next day, and that's why I do it. My schedule doesn't allow me to slack and take too many days off just because I'm a bit sore.

Those who mentioned the foam roller - it is so painful, especially on the sides of your legs, but doing it consistently and often makes it more manageable.. I grit my teeth and force it to roll on the toughest parts.. no pain no gain, lol

2. My massage therapist informed me that she recently learned that it takes a good stretch and to hold it for two minutes for a good release. Not cold obviously.

Amor Est Vitae Essentia,

NEoborn

3. I never stretch before I workout... I believe my muscles are right when I get to then (unless I am injured or feeling stiff).

I stretch about 3-5 hours afterwards.
    •   

4. Quote Originally Posted by nelix View Post
    I never stretch before I workout... I believe my muscles are right when I get to then (unless I am injured or feeling stiff).

I stretch about 3-5 hours afterwards.
    Interesting. I don't mind some ballistic stretching after some light warm up sets, or some glute activation type exercises before squats.

5. I don't think there has ever been a study showing that stretching before exercise is beneficial in any way. But there are studies out there that show it is beneficial to stretch after exercise.

6. Believe it or not, hard stretching afterwards helped me get through my last plateau as I hadn't been doing it up until then..

7. over strecthing is my biggest problem. I used to strecth 3-4 times a day for 45 minutes. I now have incredible flexibility but a bad right hammy that wont heal. For athletes perfect hamstring flexibility is defined as being able to touch ure toes. I have gone far beyond that and i think im just gonna let it heal and stop strecthing for a while.

8. Quote Originally Posted by rake922 View Post
    I stretch after.. stretching before has been proven to make you weaker during lifts
    Very true, if you're talking about static stretching. Before lifting .. after lifting .

btw, 1000th post!

9. I never stretch. I can see the point if you're stiff as ****, but I'm still able to put both my legs behind my neck and stretch my hamstrings standing from a plateau and touching the ground, so I reckon I don't need them. Also I think that if you're too flexible, you could increase the risk of injury by loosing some of your stability. Can't really prove that though.

10. It is funny that people who are flexible will tell you not to stretch before you workout. If i don't stretch my groin, hams and hip flexors before i squat i am not going to get much acomplished. If i don't stretch my hip flexors before benching my arch is going to suffer. If i don't stretch my hams before i deadlift my back hurts a little.
    Some of us who are a little older, a little bigger, and a little more beat up need to stretch just to lift.

11. Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    It is funny that people who are flexible will tell you not to stretch before you workout. If i don't stretch my groin, hams and hip flexors before i squat i am not going to get much acomplished. If i don't stretch my hip flexors before benching my arch is going to suffer. If i don't stretch my hams before i deadlift my back hurts a little.
    Some of us who are a little older, a little bigger, and a little more beat up need to stretch just to lift.
    Static stretching isn't optimal. A dynamic stretch/warm-up is right on, however.

12. After injuring my hamstring last winter i never static strecth at night or before workouts, only after. Also i will never touch a weight unless i go through 20-30 minutes of activation excercises, dynamic strecthing and foam roller.

13. Static stretches are a must post-training, especially when done in an extreme fashion. This helps to increase the flexibility of the fascia and increases the level of microtrauma, which leads to more hypertrophy.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

14. does that include strecthing biceps and chest after workouts? always great help man.

15. Quote Originally Posted by pavb10 View Post
    does that include strecthing biceps and chest after workouts? always great help man.
    Yep. Everything can be stretched in some way.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

16. I use to never strech for over 2.5 years. Then I started getting horrible back pain. I found out i was due to tight hamstrings, and hips. I started stretching every night, and my back pain has vanished. I also started stretching my calves, and they have grown more in the last two months, than the last 2 years. MArk

17. I do stretching at the end of my workouts, only at the beginning if its dynamic. More of the extreme style of stretching... hold it with weight for 45-60 seconds at the end of your workout on that muscle group.

18. I only stretch after warmup sets and inbetween sets. I do martial arts, but letting the ligaments and tendons stretch inbetween sets adds to my hypertrophy and keeping most of my flexibility (which was never the best due to genetics)

19. its not good to stretch the muscle you are training that day, it takes away explosive power.. you should always warm up with weights tho to get your "blood pumping".. but it is very healthy and very beneficial to stretch that muscle on a non training day.

Similar Forum Threads

1. The right way to stretch?
    By BigVrunga in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 01:35 PM
  2. Stretching: A key component of your exercise program
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2003, 08:13 PM
  3. To Stretch or Not to Stretch You be the Judge
    By DarCSA in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6