Poll: Do you stretch for 5 minutes or longer a day?

Stretching

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User

Brennon knows what he's talkin 'bout. Many people have an anterior pelvic tilt, which will make the hamstrings feel tight, because they're in a lengthened position. Strengthen and tighten them, stretch the quads and hip flexors.

Anyway, i only (dynamically) stretch before my workouts.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CarryOnTheChaos View Post
    how much stretching does one think is enough?

I know I stretch every muscle before working it out as a warm-up...and I also continue to stretch that muscle in between each set to keep the muscle from getting to pumped and leaving me incapable of full flexion/ROM.

I also will usually stretch out post-workout to trie and deplete all of the lactic acid from the muscle...and periodically throughout the next day if I'm sore.

My question is...is this enough? Or should I set aside actual sessions of stretching such as when I used to do martial arts?

regards,
    COTC
    yeah bro I think this is enough. I stretch between sets or flex, and do Dc stretching usually at the end of a training session.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

DC stretches after training and full body stretches before BJJ. I can easily do the splits laterally and vertically, which has helped out my submission game immensely.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

I could start another thread but here it is

how long is your PR stretch and what exercise?

For back.Hanging widegrip stretch with a 45 attached to a belt 1:05
    Incline Db fly stretch 1 min
    havnt timed the others.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  5. Registered User

about a minute and a half with 55 on my waist on the hanging back...
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

quad stretch 2 mins 20 secs
    Sddl with just the bar stretch 2 mins
    shoulder out from sythe 3 mins
  7. Registered User

i usually stretch after my 5-10 warmups, don't want to pull anything while my muscles are cold
  8. Registered User

I stretch for about 5 minutes everyday before my workout. I also find myself stretching specific muscle groups when I get home from my workout if I feel especially tight.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.

Don't stretch "RIGHT" before resistance training

Stretching for flexibility is great and for "some" needed. It's already been mentioned here that it's best to stretch after a workout, but I'll re-emphasize it. I could have summarized a strength & conditioning research article in my own words to sound like a genius like those chemists do when they talk about nomenclatures, but I decided against it. Here's the research article's link, its a heck of a long read, so unless you are truly fascinated by exercise science or have a personal vested interest in the effects of stretching on "PERFORMANCE" don't even bother. It's not a glancer article.
    http://faculty.fullerton.edu/leebrow...stretching.pdf
    NSCA - CSCS
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.
  11. Registered User

I use to practice karate and my sensei honed in on the importance of stretching.. all that went out myear as soon as I finished. Now I am really appreciating the importance of it. Improved flexibility and less soreness allows me to train harder the next day, and that's why I do it. My schedule doesn't allow me to slack and take too many days off just because I'm a bit sore.

Those who mentioned the foam roller - it is so painful, especially on the sides of your legs, but doing it consistently and often makes it more manageable.. I grit my teeth and force it to roll on the toughest parts.. no pain no gain, lol
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  230 lbs.

My massage therapist informed me that she recently learned that it takes a good stretch and to hold it for two minutes for a good release. Not cold obviously.

Amor Est Vitae Essentia,

NEoborn
  13. Registered User

I never stretch before I workout... I believe my muscles are right when I get to then (unless I am injured or feeling stiff).

I stretch about 3-5 hours afterwards.
  14. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nelix View Post
    I never stretch before I workout... I believe my muscles are right when I get to then (unless I am injured or feeling stiff).

I stretch about 3-5 hours afterwards.
    Interesting. I don't mind some ballistic stretching after some light warm up sets, or some glute activation type exercises before squats.
  15. Registered User

I don't think there has ever been a study showing that stretching before exercise is beneficial in any way. But there are studies out there that show it is beneficial to stretch after exercise.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.

Believe it or not, hard stretching afterwards helped me get through my last plateau as I hadn't been doing it up until then..
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.

over strecthing is my biggest problem. I used to strecth 3-4 times a day for 45 minutes. I now have incredible flexibility but a bad right hammy that wont heal. For athletes perfect hamstring flexibility is defined as being able to touch ure toes. I have gone far beyond that and i think im just gonna let it heal and stop strecthing for a while.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rake922 View Post
    I stretch after.. stretching before has been proven to make you weaker during lifts
    Very true, if you're talking about static stretching. Before lifting .. after lifting .

btw, 1000th post!
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  178 lbs.

I never stretch. I can see the point if you're stiff as ****, but I'm still able to put both my legs behind my neck and stretch my hamstrings standing from a plateau and touching the ground, so I reckon I don't need them. Also I think that if you're too flexible, you could increase the risk of injury by loosing some of your stability. Can't really prove that though.
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  255 lbs.

It is funny that people who are flexible will tell you not to stretch before you workout. If i don't stretch my groin, hams and hip flexors before i squat i am not going to get much acomplished. If i don't stretch my hip flexors before benching my arch is going to suffer. If i don't stretch my hams before i deadlift my back hurts a little.
    Some of us who are a little older, a little bigger, and a little more beat up need to stretch just to lift.
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post
    It is funny that people who are flexible will tell you not to stretch before you workout. If i don't stretch my groin, hams and hip flexors before i squat i am not going to get much acomplished. If i don't stretch my hip flexors before benching my arch is going to suffer. If i don't stretch my hams before i deadlift my back hurts a little.
    Some of us who are a little older, a little bigger, and a little more beat up need to stretch just to lift.
    Static stretching isn't optimal. A dynamic stretch/warm-up is right on, however.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.

After injuring my hamstring last winter i never static strecth at night or before workouts, only after. Also i will never touch a weight unless i go through 20-30 minutes of activation excercises, dynamic strecthing and foam roller.
  23. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Static stretches are a must post-training, especially when done in an extreme fashion. This helps to increase the flexibility of the fascia and increases the level of microtrauma, which leads to more hypertrophy.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  235 lbs.

does that include strecthing biceps and chest after workouts? always great help man.
  25. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by pavb10 View Post
    does that include strecthing biceps and chest after workouts? always great help man.
    Yep. Everything can be stretched in some way.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  26. Registered User

I use to never strech for over 2.5 years. Then I started getting horrible back pain. I found out i was due to tight hamstrings, and hips. I started stretching every night, and my back pain has vanished. I also started stretching my calves, and they have grown more in the last two months, than the last 2 years. MArk
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'5"  210 lbs.

I do stretching at the end of my workouts, only at the beginning if its dynamic. More of the extreme style of stretching... hold it with weight for 45-60 seconds at the end of your workout on that muscle group.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'6"  155 lbs.

I only stretch after warmup sets and inbetween sets. I do martial arts, but letting the ligaments and tendons stretch inbetween sets adds to my hypertrophy and keeping most of my flexibility (which was never the best due to genetics)
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  193 lbs.

its not good to stretch the muscle you are training that day, it takes away explosive power.. you should always warm up with weights tho to get your "blood pumping".. but it is very healthy and very beneficial to stretch that muscle on a non training day.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. The right way to stretch?
    By BigVrunga in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 12:35 PM
  2. Stretching: A key component of your exercise program
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2003, 07:13 PM
  3. To Stretch or Not to Stretch You be the Judge
    By DarCSA in forum Exercise Science