Stiff-legged Deadlift. How stiff? - AnabolicMinds.com

Stiff-legged Deadlift. How stiff?

1. Banned
    Answers

Stiff-legged Deadlift. How stiff?

I've seen this in publications and in gyms: Stiff-legged deadlift seems a very equivocal exercise. I've seen it in books and mags and gyms one way, describing the other way as wrong, and vice-versa.

A) Knees are LOCKED and the lower back is ROUNDED. Go lower than the sole of your shoes with really small weights.

B) Knees are slightly BENT and the lower back is FLAT. Go to parallel and move back up. Weights are nearly bench-press heavy.

C) Knees are LOCKED and lower back is FLAT. How you're supposed to exercise this way escapes me.

Which one is right? I've started an endless argument in my gym about this and the deeper I dig, the more confusing it gets.

2. New Member
    Answers

Never ever round your back. Keep it slightly arched and lower the weight as far as you can while keeping your back slightly arched. When raising back up, rather than pulling up with your back, squeeze your glutes together to bring the weight up. This will ensure that your hammies and glutes do most of the work.

Gumbo

3. New Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ss01
    I've seen this in publications and in gyms: Stiff-legged deadlift seems a very equivocal exercise. I've seen it in books and mags and gyms one way, describing the other way as wrong, and vice-versa.

A) Knees are LOCKED and the lower back is ROUNDED. Go lower than the sole of your shoes with really small weights.

B) Knees are slightly BENT and the lower back is FLAT. Go to parallel and move back up. Weights are nearly bench-press heavy.

C) Knees are LOCKED and lower back is FLAT. How you're supposed to exercise this way escapes me.

Which one is right? I've started an endless argument in my gym about this and the deeper I dig, the more confusing it gets.
    The rounded back full/extended ROM version is a stiff legged deadlift. The arched back shorter ROM is a romanian deadlift. I was speaking to a trainer at the gym who has his degree in exercise science told me I was wrong. He stated that romanian/stiff leggs are the same exercise. Who is right??? I would bet money on my self. Maybe Bobo can settle the confusion if he sees this thread.

•   

4. Board Sponsor
    Answers

I agree with gumbo.. Never ever round your back... for stiff legs, I have always kept legs strait, back flat/arched slightly, and lower as low as I can.. pause, feel the stretch, pull with all hams/glutes back up.

Adams

5. New Member
    Answers

6. New Member
    Answers

i just imagine that I am trying to touch my toes with the bar...knees straight, but not locked and back FLAT.

7. Adf
    Answers

If you don't want to screw up your back then B is the correct version.....slight bend in the kness, back flat/straight and there is no need to go much below parallel as that would place your lower discs in a vulnerable position for injury.

8. Banned
    Answers

Adf "screw" as in "train" or as in "wreck"?

Phoenix, thanks for the link! Very good article!

9. Adf
    Answers

screw=injure your spine/discs

10. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Answers

The RDL is an Olympic training exercise I use it on a regular basis, it is basically another form of good mornings except the bar is held in a forward position obviously, however, the motion is the same as it would be performed when doing a more "conventional" good morning.

11. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ss01

B would be my choice

12. Pop-Lock champion of 84'
    Answers

13. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

whoa whoa whoa, whoever told you to round your back with weight in your hands needs to get their story straight before they injure someone, I don't care what kind of "degree" they have. Never, ever do a motion like this (or bent over rows, good mornings, etc) with anything less than a straight or arched back. This puts many many times the pressure on your disks than they were designed for. What strengthens your lower back muscles in all the heavy exercises like deads, GMs, etc is the fact that they are working to keep the spine straight, not ROM movement like most other muscles.

BTW- you should never completely lock your knees for ANY exercise. Except for maybe leg extensions, but those are for p*ssies anyway :b

14. New Member
    Answers

Is it ok to wear a belt when doing these?

15. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Yes, it is preferable

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Stiff legged deadlift: locked knees or not?
    By AutoKal47 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 08:36 AM
  2. stiff leg deadlifts vs leg curls
    By DerickVonD in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-17-2010, 02:38 PM
  3. Stiff legged deadlifts.
    By benj851 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 08:34 PM
  4. Heavier Stiff-Legged Deadlift?