Rules of a Bodybuilder

Luke530

Awards
I - LIFT BIG - I
Give your muscles a reason to grow. Don't do endless sets, be intense. Go heavy, but don't remain much longer than an hour. Train 3-4 days a week. Work hard, Train smart!

II - EAT BIG - II
You must eat to grow. For gaining, check our YellowJacket's post in the nutrition section for proper caloric intake calculations and macronutrient ratios. Cut junk food. You will crave chicken breasts, tuna shakes, pasta and chocolate milk.

III - SLEEP - III
Recovery is key. If you're an meso/endomorph, get 8-9 hours a day, an ectomorph needs at least 6-7. You grow outside the gym, not in. The more the better!

IV - WATER WATER EVERYWHERE - IV
Carry that gallon jug with you at all times (practical or not!). Drink 8 litres a day. Keeps you well-hydrated so you can train at your best and have your caloric needs in check.

V - COMMIT - V
If you're not sick or injured, you must train. You start skipping... you might as well forget those dreams. You must want to become that impressive physique before you can begin building it. Get yourself a reliable training partner.

VI - YOU AIN'T SQUAT 'TIL YOU SQUAT - VI
If you have legs, a desire to grow and your back is OK, you must squat. Without the king of exercises, your growth is going to suffer. Squats develop more than just legs.

VII - CHANGEUP FREQUENTLY - VII
Change your routine around frequently. Every 3-6 weeks, vary the order that you do your routine, or change your whole style altogether. Try HIT, super-slow, negative training, high volume, etc.

VIII - DON'T OVERTRAIN - VIII
A good routine is brief, intense, and only has a few exercises per bodypart. Limit the total number of sets you do. If your progress is slowing, you're getting injuried or sick frequently, then it's time to take a break. Take 4-6 days off, and then go back at it. Don't be surprised if you're stronger after your layoff.

IX - HEAL - IX
Once you're injured, take a break. Lose 2 weeks training now, or prepare to keep those injuries forever.

X - FORM - X
Anyone can throw around the weights. Concentrate on good form, and then let the numbers follow. Get a full range of motion and be proud that you're one of the few who actually trains properly.

Last edited:

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I - LIFT BIG - I
Give your muscles a reason to grow. Don't do endless sets, be intense. Go heavy, but don't remain much longer than an hour. Train 3-4 days a week. Hit failure and make that last set count.
Many would agree to not go to failure....

II - EAT BIG - II
You must eat to grow. For gaining, take 20Cal/lb bodyweight daily. Get 30g protein per meal. Eat 6 meals a day. Don't be scared of fats. Cut junk food. You will crave chicken breasts, tuna shakes, pasta and chocolate milk.
20 calories per lb of bodyweight? How is this determined? The number 20 I mean? This dosnt take into account your height, LBM, thermic food effect or activity level.... pretty random.

30grams of protein x 6 meals = 180 grams of protein. That might make you grow, but I usually get that in my first 3 meals.

IV - WATER WATER EVERYWHERE - IV
Carry that gallon jug with you at all times.
No way is that practical.

VIII - DON'T OVERTRAIN - VIII
A good routine is brief, intense, and only has a couple exercises per bodypart. Limit the total number of sets you do. If your progress is slowing, you're getting injuried or sick frequently, then it's time to take a break. Take 4-6 days off, and then go back at it. Don't be surprised if you're stronger after your layoff.
A couple? Ill assume he means 3, not to. 3 or 4 is ideal.

Luke530

Awards
many would agree not to go to faliure... true... including myself...

yellow"mr.diet"jacket has to calm down with your nutrition calculations. this is aimed at the unedcuated group of gym goers that talk talk talk and talk and are not sure what faliure means....

this is just a fun post I found... and there is nothing in here that does NOT work...

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
So you'd like to insult everyone's intelligence by posting a newbie 'article'? Sorry I like to be detailed.

Nothing that does not work? 180 grams of protein for a 230 man, that doesnt work.

dez/null

Awards
thats funny...i will disagree on the squat part...

Lunges>Squats

Luke530

Awards
So you'd like to insult everyone's intelligence by posting a newbie 'article'? Sorry I like to be detailed.

Nothing that does not work? 180 grams of protein for a 230 man, that doesnt work.
if you are 230lbs of muscle you will know better...

and please... insulting everyone's intelligence...if that's what you are trying to prove by posting what you just did... you just contradicted yourself. thanks. (this is not supposed to be a detailed nutritional novel if you haven't noticed)

stop taking **** so seriously ;)

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I don't exactly agree with everything there to the tee, but let's keep the flames down guys. If we want to analyze each and every word in there, then please do so without attacking each other.

It's a decent, generalized post, good for newbies from what I can tell. This may be better at Lifeguard's board, http://www.teenbody-building.com, but not exactly a bad post either way. Each aspect can be argued in separate threads (and usually has been many times over). BTW Nice to see you here Luke. :)

Luke530

Awards
I don't exactly agree with everything there to the tee, but let's keep the flames down guys. If we want to analyze each and every word in there, then please do so without attacking each other.

It's a decent, generalized post, good for newbies from what I can tell. This may be better at Lifeguard's board, [URL="http://www.teenbody-building.com"]http://www.teenbody-building.com[/URL], but not exactly a bad post either way. Each aspect can be argued in separate threads (and usually has been many times over). BTW Nice to see you here Luke. :)
what? are you the board police now? :D
nice to see you to bro.

Like I said... it's a generalized post... and if you have to pick everything apart... I'll go edit it right now to your liking YJ... jeez!

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

if you are 230lbs of muscle you will know better...

and please... insulting everyone's intelligence...if that's what you are trying to prove by posting what you just did... you just contradicted yourself. thanks. (this is not supposed to be a detailed nutritional novel if you haven't noticed)

stop taking **** so seriously ;)

Im not 230lbs of muscle, but I can tell you I need more than 180 grams of protein, if you disagree with that, head back to the teen board ;)

No need to insult your intelligence, you did a great job of it by posting this article :D

As for taking **** seriously, not taking it seriously, you posted an article, it sucks, I explained (only partially) why, no big deal ;)

Welcome!

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i sometimes carry a gallon jug and i see a lot of people doing that around here.. if not that a half gallon jug...

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
i sometimes carry a gallon jug and i see a lot of people doing that around here.. if not that a half gallon jug...
I couldnt imagine carrying around a gallon jug of water to work, to the gym, to games, etc. Not practical for me, if so for you, more power to you.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
hehe yeah... i know what you mean.. i mainly just force myself to do it.. but i agree it is very impractical.. some of the water companies make very cool big bottles now though, they are like a quarter gallon or something and honestly not that big and bulky at all.. most gas stations carry it..

2demon2

Awards
Yep. My half-gallon jug is like an extension of my arm. It gets so much use and abuse I have to replace it every few weeks or so.

Pro

Awards
thats funny...i will disagree on the squat part...

Lunges>Squats
I disagree, I prefer squats. When I did lunges all I got was knee pain, I used less weight, and had hatred for the exercise.

dieseldude

Awards
Im a firm believer that core body exercises (squats, deadlifts, etc) are all key movements to building strength.

Im never 2' from the kids empty Hawaiian Punch bottle.