Chest exercises that don't work shoulders?

The Doberman

Awards
I think my shoulders are a bit overtrained so I want to leave them alone for awhile. But I still want to train chest. What chest exercises work shoulders the least?

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I think my shoulders are a bit overtrained so I want to leave them alone for awhile. But I still want to train chest. What chest exercises work shoulders the least?
Delts are just part of the shoulder girdle that allows for adduction...anything that really works the chest is going to also work the delts/tris. If you're feeling that they're overtrained, then reduce chest volume but increase intensity a la HIT or Max OT for a few weeks.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If they're overtrained, why not just drop shoulder day? Or add a shoulder press exercise to chest day and eliminate shoulder day? Anyway, some chest exercises that don't use too much shoulder help are flys and decline presses.

BlueBayou

Awards
I have a feeling youre asking this because of rotator cuff pain. Its likely rotator cuff tendonitis. If your having pain in your rotator cuff, don't play around with this! You can't work your chest without working your rotator cuff. If you mess your rotator cuff up its bad bad. If I'm right, take some time off from upper body until it feels normal and then give it another week. Tendons take A LONG TIME to strengthen/build up/repair, compared to muscles. Train everything else outside of arms chest back delts tris and bis in the meantime.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I would do whathypo says. Just don't lift too damn heavy and exercise the rotator cuff muscles too.

dmacdbest

Awards
I had to cut out flat bench barbells a few years ago due to shoulder injury. But, I am now able to still lift heavy on flat bench with dumbells. But, I switch up routines all the time to see what is less irritating.. injurues suck.. just gotta compromise and overcome.

Be careful and get your shoulder checked out to see what's up.. you don't want to keep lifting hard in the gym if there is something seriously wrong.