Lagging Lat

I

insectgod

How may I help you today?
Awards
Here's the scoop. My left lat has grown nicely in the past year, and I'm really starting to show the coveted v-taper. Or rather, I would be, but my right lat is visibly smaller than my left. By how much I am not sure, but it might be close to an inch in difference. I'm thinking this might somehow be related to a previous pull in my shoulder, that I am compensating on that side when I do pulldowns and such, and not hitting the right muscle hard enough. Well, since today is back day for me, anyone have any suggestions as to how I can hit that muscle better? Mostly I've been doing pulldowns and rows, should I perhaps do one-handed pull downs?

G

goldenchild777

Awards
Are you a southpaw?

Here's the scoop. My left lat has grown nicely in the past year, and I'm really starting to show the coveted v-taper. Or rather, I would be, but my right lat is visibly smaller than my left. By how much I am not sure, but it might be close to an inch in difference. I'm thinking this might somehow be related to a previous pull in my shoulder, that I am compensating on that side when I do pulldowns and such, and not hitting the right muscle hard enough. Well, since today is back day for me, anyone have any suggestions as to how I can hit that muscle better? Mostly I've been doing pulldowns and rows, should I perhaps do one-handed pull downs?

G

goldenchild777

Awards
I've seen cases of unsymetrical develpement due to training or nerve impingement.

Would try going to Dumbell Rows for a spell and see what happens?

Nope. I am right-handed.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i would suggest slowing your reps down and ensuring that both sides of the back are doing the pulling. concentrate on pulling with the back and not just pulling the weight.

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
lawnmower pulls (aka single arm db rows)

I

insectgod

Awards
Thanks, bros. I'll switch from bb rows to db rows and see how that goes. Does anyone think that lowering the amount of weight might help? In the sense that I could get a more controlled pull and concentrate on the back more? I have definitely noticed more of a burn in my right shoulder and bicep after pull downs, and that last set just kills my arms. Also, would high cable rows help the lats? I started doing them last week and definitely like the feel, but do they help the lats?

G

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
always better (to a point i suppose) to increase TUT and control so yes lower the weight and increase the ECC time on each rep, don't necessarily increase the number of reps though

B

Blownkbgt

Board Supporter
Awards
i have a problem working my arms too much during these exercises.

heres how i fixed it....

use some wrist straps.

think to yourself pull from the elbows.
i use the straps to pull and just use two fingers to hold the strap tight....

go a little slower and think about someone grabbing you by the wrists and you trying to pull your arms away from them.

Q

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
You might want to leave the pulldown bar along for a while because your stronger side might be doing all the pulling.

You might want to stick to one arm exercises for the lats. For example, Dumbbell rows, hammer pulldown, hammer low rows, hammer high rows and one arm cable rows. There should be some type of hammer or machines in your gym to help you out with this problem.

You also might want to do fewer sets with your larger lats and do more sets on your weaker lats, till the size become equal on both sides.

I had the same problem a couple of years back when I bang up my shoulder skateboarding. :)

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
lawnmower pulls (aka single arm db rows)
I've never heard of them called lawnmower pulls, but it makes "perfect sense" :D

Great exercise, and I believe that the thread starter got lots of good info in this thread :thumbsup:

I

insectgod

Awards
I've never heard of them called lawnmower pulls, but it makes "perfect sense" :D

Great exercise, and I believe that the thread starter got lots of good info in this thread :thumbsup:
I agree. Thanks, all, for the advice. So far, what I did was my usual sets for back, with a little less weight on the cables, and slower eccentrics, and extra sets of db rows on my right side. My right lat was burning about twice as hot as my left last night when I was done. I imagine it will catch up in a matter of weeks.