belt with deadlifts or not?

1. Registered User
    Answers

belt with deadlifts or not?

i was wondering if i should use a belt with deadlifts or not, because i have been told not to use one so that it works your core strength, but i dont want to risk injury. what do u guys think?

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by o-dub
    i was wondering if i should use a belt with deadlifts or not, because i have been told not to use one so that it works your core strength, but i dont want to risk injury. what do u guys think?
    when i first started deadlifts, i used a belt all the time with anything above 315. i eventually got up to 495 and got stuck there for months. a bit later, i dropped the belt completely and i've just recently broke that PR by 20lbs for 6 reps. back feels better than it ever has. i don't even use a belt on squats anymore.
  3. Registered User
    Answers

Personally, I use a belt because of lower back injuries i've incurred from sports/lifting in general.

I honestly have not seen a decrease in core strength at all...I keep the belt right on/a little above my belly button.

IMO...your better off not using the belt if ure really concentrating onf good form...but if u have a "predisposition" to lower back injury (from a past injury) then by all means use a belt...nothing sux more than taking off half a year to recover.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

I think it will be a highly individual response given that there are so many body types, postures and vertebral alignments. I don't think the typical "one size fits all" BBing recommendation applies here.

I don't feel that belts make you weaker in any lift per se and all they seem to do for me is give a little peace of mind when going heavy. I'm still mindful that you can STILL hurt yourself badly, even with a belt during squats and deads.

I have an extra vertebrae in my lumbar region so I try to keep it stable with a belt during deads but honestly..I don't notice a difference either way.
  5. Gold Member
    Answers

I don't use a belt on deads. I'm sure it is of benefit to others for various reasons; but I don't use one.
  6. Registered User
    Answers

ok guys thanx alot for the responses. i can always count on intelligent opinions from this board.
  7. Registered User
    Answers

Whether you wear a belt or not, you have to train for it because the muscle recruitment pattern is different. The belt acts as an artificial muscle to push in the abs (while you push out) whereas without the belt, your transversus have to contract.

So doesn't make sense to lift heavy both ways and its probably an injury waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    I have an extra vertebrae in my lumbar region so I try to keep it stable with a belt during deads but honestly..I don't notice a difference either way.
    Is it a genetic anomaly? First I heard of an extra vertebrae.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Answers

Good to know Marcus..I hadn't considered that.

Yeah, I'm a supa-freak. It's called lumbarilization of the sacrum and it's actually somewhat common 10-14% of people have it in some form..most are unaware of it. Basically, I have an extra lumbar vertebrae loosely attached to the sacrum. There is no disk between this extra L8 and the lumar above nor the sacrum below..just some sort of scar tissue. Hasn't cause me any serious issues...yet.
  9. Registered User
    Answers

I use a belt when deadlifting above 400lbs - just for peace of mind - never on squats though (or any other exercise for that matter)
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    I think it will be a highly individual response given that there are so many body types, postures and vertebral alignments. I don't think the typical "one size fits all" BBing recommendation applies here.

I don't feel that belts make you weaker in any lift per se and all they seem to do for me is give a little peace of mind when going heavy. I'm still mindful that you can STILL hurt yourself badly, even with a belt during squats and deads.
    I agree. Personally though, when it's getting real heavy, I'll throw one on, but I don't usually use one.
    As a matter of fact, I lost my last one long ago, and haven't bought another one yet.
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Try it both ways,I've I'm ready to leave my belt home for good because I haven't used it in so long,I find it easier to breathe without it.
  12. -Dalla Hunga-
    Answers

I use a belt on deads over 400lbs and on squats when over 300lbs.
  13. Banned
    Answers

I bought one of those new 2004 Schiek belts that are all fabric instead of leather. Ill see how it works in about 6 weeks when i start lifting again.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. deadlift with arched back ok or not ok?
    By tbonesteakboy in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 12:02 PM
  2. No xplode with test...or not
    By orangutan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-18-2009, 05:52 PM
  3. tri's with chest or not?
    By spatch in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 06:35 AM
  4. PCT - to include an AI with Massfx, or not?
    By Gator Alum 03 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 10:41 AM
  5. Lr3 with aas or not?
    By bmass in forum IGF-1/GH
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 01:50 PM