Advice on APFT Run in High Altitude

1. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.55%

Advice on APFT Run in High Altitude

Ever since coming to Colorado my run time has been ****. I have tried numerous ways to get my time down and still cannot pass, which I am desperate for so I can get promoted. I never had a problem passing a pt test until I moved here. Now I just cannot seem to break through.

My run score is bad, really bad. I managed to drop 30 seconds over the past few months, but I'm still 4-5 minutes away. I feel like ass while I'm running, but feel fine after I'm done, almost like I'm not spent at all.

I'm thinking maybe more wind sprints and adding 20 rep squats to my routine.

Thanks

2. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.74%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Yeah, I'm about to move back up to 7000' and restart all of my training again so I feel your pain. Lifting huuuuurts so bad when you're coming off a long break..but now I have 3000' more feet of altitude to stack onto that.

It can take upwards of a year to become fully acclimated to the altitude..to where you're not panting just going up stairs lol.

Several supps come I use that work well to help acclimate and buffer against hypoxia(that's our main goal until you're fully acclimated)

Start with standard b12 shots to build up your hemoglobin. Add folic acid and B6 if you get straight b12. I'd shoot at least once a week if not eod.

Rhodiola rosacea works frickin wonders at altitude as well as improving general condition factor. Take 150-200 mg 3x per day and you'll be glad. You could add Siberian Ginseng to that mix..it helps buffer lactic acid a little but the RR is the bomb.

I'd also buy or mix up your own Body Octane for buffering against lactic acid and extending endurance.

As far as training..give yourself a little extra recovery time. Everything happens slower at altitude.

Hang in there and good luck..it WILL get easier, but it may take some time.
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.48%

citrulline malate
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.55%

Quote Originally Posted by bioman
    Yeah, I'm about to move back up to 7000' and restart all of my training again so I feel your pain. Lifting huuuuurts so bad when you're coming off a long break..but now I have 3000' more feet of altitude to stack onto that.

It can take upwards of a year to become fully acclimated to the altitude..to where you're not panting just going up stairs lol.

Several supps come I use that work well to help acclimate and buffer against hypoxia(that's our main goal until you're fully acclimated)

Start with standard b12 shots to build up your hemoglobin. Add folic acid and B6 if you get straight b12. I'd shoot at least once a week if not eod.

Rhodiola rosacea works frickin wonders at altitude as well as improving general condition factor. Take 150-200 mg 3x per day and you'll be glad. You could add Siberian Ginseng to that mix..it helps buffer lactic acid a little but the RR is the bomb.

I'd also buy or mix up your own Body Octane for buffering against lactic acid and extending endurance.

As far as training..give yourself a little extra recovery time. Everything happens slower at altitude.

Hang in there and good luck..it WILL get easier, but it may take some time.
    Thanks for the advice. I think spending most of May in Panama is what killed me. I felt freaking great down there. I worked my ass off for 12 hours and had more than enough energy left over to hit the gym at night. I even spent my few off days in the pool, kayacking, lifting, and then back to the pool. Nothing like going from being able to practicly bite on the air to sucking wind.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Need some advice on my run
    By badfish21981 in forum LG Sciences
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 03:52 AM
  2. need advice on what to run in cycle
    By amiller745 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 12:21 PM
  3. Dudes, need advice on a preworkout in pill form
    By TxHomeGrown in forum Supplements
    Replies: 44