GVT vs. others on ph cycle?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
im kind of curious..

you ph vets- you think 10 sets per body part is enough? i figure hell if i am on a ph and getting the proper rest and nutrition i would do more like 15 sets or so because hell some people do 10 sets without ph's... and also as far as training frequency is concerned, do you still advocate doing each muscle group once per week while on ph?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
why do yo usay that? cause seems everyone on avants site seems to say that HIT on a PH is bad well tru HIT meaining like 8 sets of like 6-8 reps going to complete failure..

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a ph vet... but I want to add that you are correct, I approach 15 sets without ph, working through each muscle group twice per week generally... so, though everyone is different I would imagine your frequency/volume should be upped considerably... you'll need better more experienced opinions on this, but I seem to recall other threads of this nature you may want to search for... many many people attempt GVT with great success (while on), but it all depends.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
yeah i would think more like 15-16 sets not to failure would be optimal.. but i want to definitely get some more educated answers.. gvt just doesnt seem like enough sets.. but i might be approaching this wrong, maybe by doing less volume your fully recovering come your next workout, but im not sure..

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
yeah i was reading that.. im going to talk to wardog about a routine for me...

SCORPIO

Awards
  • Established
Last year while 'on' I used GVT after reading Wardogs posts and made good gains.....10-12lbs 4wk cycle. This year I used Doggs training method in his 'cycling for pennies' article @ anabolicextreme.....fewer sets (low vol) higher intensity....3days wk. I used this while 'on' and didn't gain a single pound in 4wks. So, for me it stands to reason that higher volume while 'on' is the best way to go . Then lower volume for 'off' periods. Everyone is different and much trial and error is involved in body building.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
I liked it, the change in routine will yield results even if not "on", but it seems to be the preferred way of lifting on cycle. So...you would want to do more than 10 sets of 10 and 3 sets of 10 per bodypart in one day? I'm sure you could, but that would have to be some light weight, and you would have to experiment to see if you fully recover in 5 days. I stick with Poliquin's methods for GVT, that seems to be enough volume for me anyway.

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
I liked it, the change in routine will yield results even if not "on", but it seems to be the preferred way of lifting on cycle. So...you would want to do more than 10 sets of 10 and 3 sets of 10 per bodypart in one day? I'm sure you could, but that would have to be some light weight, and you would have to experiment to see if you fully recover in 5 days. I stick with Poliquin's methods for GVT, that seems to be enough volume for me anyway.
i agree with weave and have been using gvt for about three weeks now. i know for me 10 sets of quads is more than enuf. imo if you dont feel like u r gonna puke u r not usin heavy enuf weight. i've only been usin this for three weeks now and have been emphasizing strength with my arms...and its workin. as for size, just have to wait and see. not "on" anythin right now but i'll definitely use this when i do my next ph cycle.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
It would seem that gvt works so well because your pounding your body with intensity AND volume. 2 excercises , 10 sets of 10 works out to 200reps in about 25minutes. Im on a T1 cycle right now, Im not going with GVT because I want to stay heavy, but Im going to try and incorporate the same principle into my routines.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Scorpio hit the nail on the head. Everybody is different. For me, if I did 15 sets per bodypart, I would never grow. If you are truely pushing yourself, 10 sets of 10 is MORE than enough. It is about intensity.

When I am in a hurry, I have done a single strip set per bodypart on occasion and ended up sore as hell from it. There is no real right/wrong. Everything works and nothing works..you have to learn what works for you.

Draven

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by wardog
When I am in a hurry, I have done a single strip set per bodypart on occasion and ended up sore as hell from it. There is no real right/wrong. Everything works and nothing works..you have to learn what works for you.
Hehe. I just did strips sets for my calves on Thurs. for the first time in a while and I can't even walk today. I'm not exaggerating either, I seriously can't walk. Guess I over did it a bit. :saw: I find them AWSOME for getting stale body parts to start growing again.

Hey jweave23, do you have a link at all to Poliquin's methods for GVT? I'd like to read up on that. I too am having a tough time deciding what's best for me to do while "on". I generally stick with low volume, heavy weights for 8-2 reps of 6 sets, 1-2 excersie per body part with 1 burnout set and 1 super set 3 days a week. I've used a form of GVT for short periods to overcome plateua's but am curious to read his method.

I'm think of upping to 4 days a week, and 12-14 sets for large muscle groups and 8-12 for smaller ones. Doing each body part once a week.

Nice thread by the way. It's interesting to find out what others do while "on".

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Yep, I love strip sets and will use them a couple times a month, usually when I am in a hurry and want to get a "quick" 20 minute workout in. The next day soreness is always mind numbing..lol.

Unfortunatly, it always figures, if you do them at a gym, the hottest girl ever will walk by when your on your last reps of a strip set bench press, and you are shaking, trying to get the bar and 2-10 pound plates up...lol..nothing like a bit of humiliation. :D

As far as the GVT link, try: http://www.sover.net/~timw/gvt.htm

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
thats wierd, i, too, was going to try doggs method in cycles for pennies but i guess i wont be now.. im using it right now while not on but i was gonna give it a shot while on.. oh well ill just stick to gvt...

Nelson

LakeMountD
If you haven`t read the info about `Optimized Volume Training` posted by Ceaze, I suggest you do.
I too found it difficult to accept that 2 exercises for back or chest would be enough on GVT.
OVT suggests 4 exercises for chest, back etc done for 5x5 each.
You can change it to suit yourself, eg for chest I do 4 exercises 5x10 consisting of 2 supersets with 1 minute rests between.
This allows me to use more variety in the exrcises that I use whilst incoporating volume and intensity.
I have made my own routine based on OVT & GVT principles which is working out well so far.
Here`s the OVT info:
http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3358

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jsmith219 Training Forum 1
Jsmith219 Training Forum 12
Training Forum 43
Hansistyle Training Forum 2
dactyl Workout Logs 12