opinion on squats

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
until recently i always stopped my squats about an inch above parallel, i was still going fairly low and it allowed me to do sets with ~450 ... recently i've started doing box squats and going an inch BELOW parallel .. dropped the weight down to 315 ..

my question is which would be better for QUAD growth .. i hit my hams with curls and/or SLDL and i think regardless if i'm going an inch above or below parallel my glutes will get hit fairly hard either way .. so do you guys think its better to use heavier weights with a little less ROM or go below parallel ala powerlifter style

keep in mind i DO NOT care about the actual weight and i will never compete in a PL meet .. this is strictly from a BB perspective and for the best quad growth

alright time to go eat again

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
I'm with you man... less weight, good form these days.
I would assume the closer you have your legs planted would better target quads.
my vote is close stance, full range of motion, light weight

a horizontal leg press actually works pretty well for this.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
until recently i always stopped my squats about an inch above parallel........
I'm a fan of going below parallel on occasion ;)

But, to smash the quad, parallel about shoulder width is where its at. Maybe even a tad bit above parallel.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Try front squats, they are a great quad emphasizer (sp?). Shoulder width stance and full ROM for a good stretch at the end of the movement gets my vote as well :).

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Try front squats, they are a great quad emphasizer (sp?). Shoulder width stance and full ROM for a good stretch at the end of the movement gets my vote as well :).
front squats. damn, forgot about these.

knox

Awards
  • Established
front squats
olympic squats
parallel squats legs shoulder width or closer
parallel squats with a 10lb plate under your heels, never tried them because i figured they are probably hard on the knees.
over-head olympic squats-these are just fun to do.

Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog

Obese Member
Awards
  • Established
Ditto to front squats for targeting quads. Damn I hate those things.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
front squats
olympic squats
parallel squats legs shoulder width or closer
parallel squats with a 10lb plate under your heels, never tried them because i figured they are probably hard on the knees.
over-head olympic squats-these are just fun to do.
actually, the plates under the heels took pressure off my knees. can't explain it, but it did.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
another vote for front squat.
if you never did them before give it a try, they're fun....i promise :dance:

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
yeah, i'm gonna have to start alternating these with squats from week to week. the change will do me some good.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Ditto to front squats for targeting quads. Damn I hate those things.
I love em'. i mess around with 315 and above for squats however could handle 2 plates and just above for front squats. I feel I have good strength for these. It's been a staple in my leg routine for the last few months now.
Sage

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Being a former powerlifter, and now an Olympic lifter I love full olympic squats. This and front squats are now a part of my training around 4 times per week, and my legs are a lot bigger because of it.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i've tried front squats .. i don't like them they are incredibly awkward for me ...
so back to the original question friends

gotta go eat again

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well their awkward because you never do them.:hammer:

I had a hard time at first as well, and got ues to them. If I can do it, I know you can.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well maybe i should give them another shot

but i'm still curious as to which form for regular ole squat will work my quads the best .. 1 inch above super heavy or 1 inch below lower weight

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i would think a greater ROM would lead to better mass gains. but i think lots of stupid ****.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
but i think lots of stupid ****.
hmm.. good point .. anyone that's NOT beelze have a comment?

haha just kidding man .. i agree i think because it will lead to a great ECC and more TUT in general .. tomorrow is squats .. box squats it is

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
One leg squats on the smith aren't bad, definitely a quad burner.
It takes like 40minutes to do all the sets though

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
One leg squats on the smith aren't bad, definitely a quad burner.
It takes like 40minutes to do all the sets though
i'm far far too important of a person to spend 40 minutes on one exercise ;)

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
glenihan, i moved from barbell to the smith when doing front squat and the switch has given me more control of the bar and with more comfort. I would recommend giving the smith machine a try with front squats and then hit the barbell again. Worked for me
Sage

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
Being a former powerlifter, and now an Olympic lifter I love full olympic squats. This and front squats are now a part of my training around 4 times per week, and my legs are a lot bigger because of it.
My vote is for Oly squats and front squats as well. Those things'll slap some meat on yer quads !

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well, as someone who from a couple Canadian IFBB pros have said I got very good leg development I'll speak to the issue :)

ASS TO GRASS ladies and gentlemen. There's no other way in my opinion. Anything at or slightly above parallel and it involves too much of my knees for it to be an effective quad exercise and this is for all squat-like and/or pressing movements.

If you want to stictly focus on the quads, then throw in extensions. Or, try doing squats on the smith machine. Not normally one for smith squats as I've always thought of them as "easier", I'll now have to disagree. Bene them the past few workouts for a switch and I feel I get a much better quad workout using HALF the amount of weight as I would with barbell squats.

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
That's an excellent video... thanks for the link!

brownboy

Awards
That's an excellent video... thanks for the link!
No prob man...yeah i learned alot from that video and did a leg workout after watching it....i definately felt a big difference in my workout after following his tips....

Sputnik

Sputnik

Awards
  • Established
Full range of movement, full stop. Anyone can get to parallel. IF u can go lower without rounding your lower back, then go for it.

wranglergirl

wranglergirl

Awards
  • Established
try sumo squats...ass close to the floor, killer leg workout :)

IRserge

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Heavy ass to the grass squats Is what really put on leg mass for me, heavy reps and full range of motion. I used to train Max-ot style and it put size on me in a hurry.