splitting up quads/hams

davisville64

Awards
Have any of you guys done Quads in the morning and Hamstrings in the PM?

The only thing I wouldn't like about it is if the hams are hit too much (indirectly) in the morning, it wouldnt be good to hit them later that day.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I split up quads/hams except I do hams in the am and quads/calves in the pm.

My ham routine:
3 sets Walking Lunges about 10 steps per leg with a long step to emphasize hams
3 sets SL deadlifts
3 sets lying leg curls

Quads:
3 sets Front squats or squats
3 sets Leg press
3 sets Hack squat
3 sets Legs extensions

davisville64

Awards
I split up quads/hams except I do hams in the am and quads/calves in the pm.

My ham routine:
3 sets Walking Lunges about 10 steps per leg with a long step to emphasize hams
3 sets SL deadlifts
3 sets lying leg curls

Quads:
3 sets Front squats or squats
3 sets Leg press
3 sets Hack squat
3 sets Legs extensions
Hmm, might have to try that one. The only thing I see that might go wrong with that is my hams would be tired for squats in the pm. :think:

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
I do them on different days, Quads and calves one day, then Hams and calves 2 days later.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I usually wait about 8-10 hrs before I do quads and I have never really experienced any sort of hamstring fatigue

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I like to do them together, because I love the way my legs feel when they're all pumped. If I had more time, though, I can see how splitting them up would be very effective.

BV

stindevil

Awards
Charles Poliquin was at one time a proponent of training the legs and hams in this manner. Although I am unsure of the
science behind this theory, I believe that there are some benefits to training the same muscle group twice in a day.

I would love to hear someone discuss this in greater detail.

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
When I train quads I have no more energy to effectively train my hamstrings. When I started doing them on different days I noticed more growth in my hamstrings.

Grmlock

Awards
  • Established
I think that one thing that is very neglected is how you eat the day before legs. On the day before I usually take-in an extra 400-500 kcals to prep my body for the hell that is about to happen. I usually do hams at about 10 am or after 2 meals and then I do quads/calves at about 7 pm or about 4 meals later...I eat this much b/c doing legs is not only the most demanding bodypart but it also revs up the metabolism more than any other muscle:thumbsup: