classic bodybuiler physique/routine

wookie429

Awards
has anyone one here ever seriously attempted a classic bodybuilding routine like those of bill pearl or arnold?
they seem to have a ridiculous amount of volume, both advocating training up to six days a week for 2 or 3 hours a day.

i greatly admire the looks of these types (classic bodybuilder) and am wondering if such routines would contribute to creating these builds.

any opinions?

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Theres so many things to consider as to why a physique comes out the way that it does. You can't do exactly what Arnold did and expect to look like him..even with the same drugs. Chances are that it will be an excessive amount of volume for you (and I'm a fan of high volume programs).

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i have tried exactly the routines arnold claims to have done as found in his encyclopedia of bodybuilding when i first started lifting when i was 16 .. i gained a lot of weight BUT i was in the heart of puberty and it was my first time really lifting

i later tried it when i was 19-20 .. did NOT gain weight .. was most CERTAINLY overtrained .. i was natural however

the VAST majority of people do not have the genetics to handle that kind of volume .. its absurd 20-25 sets per body part

ryano

Awards
  • Established
I have read Arnolds encyclopedia as well. Pretty cool little
read. But I agree the volume is pretty crazy.

I would imagine besides just physique type and trainning you
would have to get your hands on some of the steroid cycles
they were on.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
while AAS played a part, those guys had incredible genetics. even the bb'ers today don't follow arnold's psycho outline. he figured out what worked for him early on and stuck to it.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
workouts back in the 70's were volume focused and to say it was overtraining, probably a good arguement. These guys were heavily on cycle, gifted genetics, on-point dieting and for the average guy to try the volume high training consistantly throughout the year, is not wise. Doesn't Dexter have an amazing 'classic' physique (minus height?). The guy doesnt hit volume much but hits intensity. I think a workout should be focuesed mainly on intensity, rather than the amounts of set.
Sage

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
I think a workout should be focuesed mainly on intensity, rather than the amounts of set.
Sage
BOO YA!! sage right on the money ... (while keeping TUT in mind :))

wookie429

Awards
yeah, thats what i pretty much figured. stick to my training, which works out pretty decent.

i was just curious to see if anyone had any experience with such drastic volume routines. it seems thats what the majority of bodybuilders of that time did.

i'm mighty tempted to try it, but it just seems ridiculous and i dont feel like wasting a month overtraining and going backwards. thanks for the input.

Rictor33

Awards
  • Established
Some respond to high volume, the majority I would say don't because genetics really come into play when you workout with that much volume. I believe by slowing down your reps and perfecting your form you can get more than enough TUT to make great gains without busting your ass for 1 1/2 hours in the gym doing 20 sets per bodypart and ultimatley injuring or overtraining yourself....

wookie429

Awards
i was just curious to see if anyone went on this extreme of programs and if they could work. to me it seems like overkill, but i wanted input from those who attmpted these or similar programs.

the other factor is that in bill pearls book he also reccomends eating around 5500 kcals a day when a 200lb bodybuilder is trying to bulk up. but i doubt this will prevent overtraining still unless the trainee is especially genetically gifted and/or on a lot of steroids.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
You want a classic physique?

Don't get too big, and don't focus on yoru legs :rofl: Oh, and do your vacuums.....

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Steve Reeves' "Building the Classic Physique" is an interesting book, as he clearly had the classic look. Of course, exercise physiology was poorly understood back then, but it' a fascinating look at how he built that body with so little solid information.

For someone with an up-to-date understanding of nutrition, musculoskeletal and neuroendocrine systems, & training methods and principles, Reeves' book has a lot to chew on.

For ex, one of the big messages I got from it is DON'T OVERTRAIN. I'm prone to overtraining, and that means I'm prone to injury, so learning at what point to throttle back & gear down is important to me - as much so as when and how to push. I find his cheery attitude on this inspiring.

Last edited:
natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I'm about trying new things so yes I once tried some of the routines you would see in Arnold's "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding." I think I felt the sysmtoms of overtraining within the first week or two. Some good info and I used it mainly for an exercise reference. I typically stay away from any high volume training. Besides, I don't have the attention span to be in the gym for 2 hours straight.