need bench specialty program

  1. need bench specialty program


    any favorite programs for bigger bench?


  2. This is my chest program:

    Flat BB Press: 12x135 (Warm-up) 335x6 325x6 325x6
    Decline BB Press: 275x6 275x6 275x6
    Flat DB Flys: 100'sx6 95'sx6 95'sx6
    Decline DB Flys: 85'sx6 85'sx6 85'sx6 9
    Weighted Dips

    I switch off declines with incline every other workout. I will also do cables in place of fly's at times or smith machine.

    I typically pyramid down with a light warm-up set. I started doing the pyramid up routine but my gains only really came after I started going really heavy and coming down if needed. I went from a max bench of 225 to a max bench of 375 in less than a year doing it this way.

  3. Time. May I ask why? Do you plan on competing in some sort of bench or lifting competition?
    •   
       


  4. If you are going to be using a shirt, check out metal militia's bench training. Otherwise, I'd suggest a 5x5 style workout, and replace one of the bench days with a dynamic bench workout using bands or chains (sort of a hybrid westside/5x5, since westside is such a difficult program to follow properly).

  5. yeah, i'm no expert in strength training (yet) but i am somewhat familiar with westside concepts. i'm 6'4" ectomorph with an arm span of a good 6ft, so i'll never be a great bencher, i'm just tired of it not coming up using standard bodybuilding plans. thanks guys.

  6. I like the % lifting schedule
    I can type it out if you are interested.. mainly you max out, the set goals based on % of that max....

  7. absolutely matthew, wouldn't mind looking at it. thanks for the replies dudez.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Matthew D
    I like the % lifting schedule
    I can type it out if you are interested.. mainly you max out, the set goals based on % of that max....
    I would like to have a look at this too.

  9. would it look anything like this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

  10. A western style linear periodization program isn't going to get you the best gains possible on the bench press, I can promise you that. The increasing percentages of western periodization are an attempt to defeat the principle of adaptation, though it does work it doesn't develop maximal strength at near the rate that a conjugated method of periodization does, as almost all work above 5rm produces a very small relative effect on the 1rm. If you are just looking for a big 1rm, a westside style rotation of exercises with good carryover to the bench press done for 1rm will produce the best results. If for whatever reason you're looking for an impressive 5rm (though I don't think many people care about what you can do for 5 reps) then I would do 4 week rotations between the bench press, dumbell press and incline press, working up to a 8rm the first week, a 6rm the second week a 4rm on the third week and then a 2rm on the final week - that'd provide rapid strength gains with some attention to hypertrophy as well. After a while you'd also need to start analyzing your weak points in order to keep making good progress while avoiding injury.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    A western style linear periodization program isn't going to get you the best gains possible on the bench press, I can promise you that. The increasing percentages of western periodization are an attempt to defeat the principle of adaptation, though it does work it doesn't develop maximal strength at near the rate that a conjugated method of periodization does, as almost all work above 5rm produces a very small relative effect on the 1rm. If you are just looking for a big 1rm, a westside style rotation of exercises with good carryover to the bench press done for 1rm will produce the best results. If for whatever reason you're looking for an impressive 5rm (though I don't think many people care about what you can do for 5 reps) then I would do 4 week rotations between the bench press, dumbell press and incline press, working up to a 8rm the first week, a 6rm the second week a 4rm on the third week and then a 2rm on the final week - that'd provide rapid strength gains with some attention to hypertrophy as well. After a while you'd also need to start analyzing your weak points in order to keep making good progress while avoiding injury.
    Yup...there's a reason the Westside and Metal Militia guys are widely known for their strength training results.

  12. Like others have said, look at the articles on the westside site. Elite fitness systems also has good articles.

  13. thanks exnihilo (& others) i was thinking that too. i have watched louie for years, but still don't really understand how to set up a program like westside. i can go do the x% of 1rm for 10 sets of 2 explosively or whatever, & alot of misc "accessory" movements, i was just looking for a precise plan. thanks for the great thoughts.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by julius kelp
    thanks exnihilo (& others) i was thinking that too. i have watched louie for years, but still don't really understand how to set up a program like westside. i can go do the x% of 1rm for 10 sets of 2 explosively or whatever, & alot of misc "accessory" movements, i was just looking for a precise plan. thanks for the great thoughts.
    Here ya go, just a few links to some helpfull articles.

    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/be...a_stripper.htm
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/tr...he-*******.htm
    http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls10.htm
    http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls27.htm
    Credit to Louie Simmons.

    http://www.westside-barbell.com/articles.htm
    If you don't have acrobat reader, the link is on the bottom of the page. They have a ton of great articles there, lots of specific details aswell. Good luck!

  15. appreciate the cool links vincent. being an ecto & after years of the traditional bb mag routines we have all tried at one time or another, & every other special, secret technique to come down the pike. i now TRULY believe the big compound moves have been what have made me grow any. the 410lb deadlifts for 8 reps recently made me feel great. (except for my back hehe) i am basically dedicating myself now to heavier loads in deadlift, squat & bench

  16. That is what has gotten results for me. Sprinkle in some back work and you'll be set.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Just came off the 5x5, need a different program
    By jkgultimate in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 04:21 PM
  2. Surgery Intern- Need a good program
    By adnscmplx in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 12:46 AM
  3. Need a new program for summer
    By goldenroll in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-04-2009, 08:54 PM
  4. Need a Strength program for bench
    By theshocker21 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-27-2006, 06:54 PM
  5. Need A Eating Program
    By Icarus91 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 03:58 AM
Log in
Log in