Westside Training-the Landmine

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Bump...anyone?
Looks like you'd do it similar to the way you do a bent over row that style. Put one end of the barbell into the corner, weight the other end, roll that end somewhat closer to one of the walls, stand between the barbell and the other wall and execute the exercise.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
that picture confuses me ... what's the actual motion?

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
I think he's pulling the end of the barbell up and across his body to his left.

Wuji

Awards
Looks like a variation of the Neider press. You hold on to the end of the barbell with both hands then twist the bar from side to side, controlling the motion. The machine looks like it just acts to stabilize the other end of the bar as there should be any weight on the other end. Boxers/martial artists have used this one for years.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
It's basically for strengthening your waist. Like Wuji said, you can use a standard, weighted barbell and fix one end into a corner, hold the other end in front of you with your arms fairly straight and elbows locked and twist using only your waist to move. Pretty damn effective.

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
It's basically for strengthening your waist. Like Wuji said, you can use a standard, weighted barbell and fix one end into a corner, hold the other end in front of you with your arms fairly straight and elbows locked and twist using only your waist to move. Pretty damn effective.
I ended up doing it on lower body day with a barbell in the corner of the gym. I'm still getting the motion down, but it's definitely a solid add to the core repetoire and hits the obliques hard.

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
You can get a lot of help with westside movements on Irontrybe.com. Lots of powerlifter / strength atheletes over there. Nice folks.

GrossSizeRocks

Awards
Another Source

There's a guy named Richard Sorin who makes a LOT of standard and off-the-beaten path training equipment, including what we're talking about here - makes the gizmo you hold the BB with and a thing to anchor the other end at the floor.

Most of his stuff is Rolls Royce kind of stuff and too expensive for most of us to buy - makes his living mostly selling to pro teams and universities.

His website doesn't have a forum, but there is a lot of text and pix that might help you with this, and his company's in Columbia, SC if you're ever nearby.

www.sorinex.com