Chest 2x a week to improve upper chest?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by phil216
    Training as often as you are reccomeding here does not allow enough time for recovery let alone growth unless a person is a genetic freak, on a ton of stuff or both. You must realize that all you do in the gym is stimulate the body's growth mechanism and once you have done that with intense exercise you need to get the hell out, recover and then grow. You must realize that mucle growth is mearly a defensive respone to a stress(weight lifting) much the same way a suntan is in response to exposure to the sun. training to often will result in overtraining much like over exposure to the sun will result in damage to the skin (a burn or worse). I use that example because they are both adaptive responses.
    Phil bro, put the mike mentzer HIT book down and take some time to do some research. It's a lot more complex than that.

2. Exactly what I was trying to explain to him Nihilo. Did you read anything I posted Phil? Have you ever read anything by real strength coaches that actually coach olympic caliber athletes? You do not need excessive amounts of recovery time while training limit strength as long as you are doing a low enough volume at one. I don't know what you think is low, but O lifters train usually twice a day and do probably 10 to 15 lifts total at a time, whether it be in the form of singles or whatever. They never hit failure, as that is useless for what they want. If you read anything about limit strength training you will realize that you can recover very fast if you do it in the right period (1 to 4 weeks for average lifters) multiple times a week, the volume per session just has to be correct. You do not just stimulate growth mechanism, whatever that even means. Different ranges have different goals in mind and train multiple characteristics of the body. Limit strength does not break down tissue to a great degree or cause swelling or an increase in capillary size and is relatively easy for the muscles to recover from. The CNS is a different story as limit strength training utilizes a lot of the CNS capability to fire all of the fast twitch high threshold fibers. You need to go read some articles by Poliquin or Thibadeau or maybe pick up Zatiorsky's book, which is considered one of the essential texts of strength training. If you want to keep reading some b/s a roid monkey with no degree is spewing at you, then go ahead. You would be more successful in your goals if you weren't reading anecdotal evidence from some dude in a bananna hammock that has no idea what really works in strength training. If you want to actually figure out what works, read texts and research by strength coaches, not barely literate bodybuilders who have no real idea what theyre doing
    •   

3. I ave actually been pretty succesful in reaching my goals in weight training and life. I have added roughly 110 pounds since I have started and have abs and decent separation, which is more then most can say and my strength is probably as good as most here INMHO. I have actually done a lot of reading on the subjetc of exercise and have tried many different types of training methods and thus far I have not found anything in the past 15 or so years that compares to HIT (at least for me). As for someone like Poliquin I must say that I lost a lot of respect for him about 6 or so years ago.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix rising
    TOTALLY DISAGREE
    Most people do.

5. Quote Originally Posted by phil216
    I ave actually been pretty succesful in reaching my goals in weight training and life. I have added roughly 110 pounds since I have started and have abs and decent separation, which is more then most can say and my strength is probably as good as most here INMHO. I have actually done a lot of reading on the subjetc of exercise and have tried many different types of training methods and thus far I have not found anything in the past 15 or so years that compares to HIT (at least for me). As for someone like Poliquin I must say that I lost a lot of respect for him about 6 or so years ago.
    Bro, what you do works for you. It does not work for most people. You are giving advice based on the anecdotal experience of one person: yourself. If 30 sets for each bodypart 6x a week works for me but not many other people and I come on the board telling everyone to do that because that's what I do, you would probably look at me and say "what an dumb *******". Truth is ultra low volume, low frequency training doesn't work for most people, and for you to come on here and act like it's the one true way to lift with nothing to back it up but your belief is just dumb.

Plus, it might help if you could justify your ultra low volume low frequency training style with some science.

Edit: look, I'm not trying to start an argument in this thread. I am happy that what you are doing works for you phil. I'm more interested in making sure the information spread around the boards is true than putting down someone else's training style. I don't really have a problem with HIT per se, so much as I have a problem with someone going around and advocating it as the one true style, then justifying that statement in a seemily logical but actually inaccurate way.
    •   

6. Ex pretty much summed up what I was going to say. The fact of the matter is, there is no science to back up HIT, despite how much you hate Poliquin, he actually has research to back up his methods. 110 lbs is impressive, but when using HIT I gained 5 total lbs. I was stuck at the same weight and strength for 2 months following the stuff in Mentzer's book. When I switched to a normal program I gained 45 more lbs, this is all since September. You're not the only one with a success story. The fact of the matter is that HIT is all anecdotal garbage backed up by no science, is not used by any performance athletes, powerlifters, anyone with impressive numbers at all.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 01:22 AM
  2. Training Chest 2X a Week?
    By Stryfe in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-14-2013, 03:10 PM
  3. Mission to improve upper and lower chest thickness
    By pvtpARTS in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 06:53 PM