Forearm Pain - AnabolicMinds.com

Forearm Pain

1. Board Supporter

Forearm Pain

Whenver I do curls I get excruciating pain in my forearms. This has been happening for a while now, and I don't know what to do about it. It's the worst when I do ez bar curls, but I can feel the ache when I do any kind of BB press, it even hurt today when I did high pull and DB shrugs for shoulders. I've tried doing light DB forearm work before my workouts to maybe warm up the tendons in my arms, but it's not doing jack ****. I'm sure a ton of other people have experienced this, what can I do about it?
    Last edited by Magickk; 06-27-2005 at 01:54 PM.

2. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magickk
    Whenver I do curls I get excruciating pain in my forearms. This has been happening for a while now, and I don't know what to do about it. It's the worst when I do ez bar curls, but I can feel the ache when I do any kind of BB press, it even hurt today when I did high pull and DB shrugs for shoulders. I've tried doing light DB forearm work before my workouts to maybe warm up the tendons in my arms, but it's not doing jack ****. I'm sure a ton of other people have experienced this, what can I do about it?
    3 Words ACTIVE RELEASE TECHNIQUES

We get these nagging injuries from years of repetitve movements and postures.

I would take an NSAID. I prefer ibeprofen at 800 mgs. This is the same strength as 1 prescription pill. I would take 2x per day 6-8 hrs a part with food. I would also ice 20 minutes immediately after exercise. If you could do this several times per day even better.

Next you need to some stretching. Point your hand away from your body with the finger straight out and then grap that hand with opposite hand and pull the fingers back gentley strecthing the forearm. Lower your arm until your fingers are basically pointing straigt to the floor until your elbow is just slight of lock out. With the opposite had grab the pinky and finger next to it. Gently pull back on those 2 fingers and close the middle and index finger. Then grab the middle and index finger and gently pull back on them and close the pinky and finger next to it.

Try those stetches throughout the day.

Depending on the severity of the injury ART may take as little as 3 EOD sessions or more if needed. I had the same injury you were describing except I was at the point where I could not even open a jar of peanut butter.
  3. Board Supporter

Holy ****, that must've been ridiculous! I know sometimes mine will start hurting if I"m just doing stupid stuff around the house, like if I reach a weird way or something, or am holding something kind of heavy with one hand, and angle my arm in a way it doesn't like.

But your information is greatly appreciated, I'll definitely try the stretches, and start icing the forearms after workouts, and see where I stand from there...
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Is it in the muscle? Tendon? Bone? Any idea at all? It could be a number of things, including tendonitis, stress fractures of the radius or ulna, or forearms splints, which are just like shin splints except of the forearms (obviously). Man, considering you're in the military and hospital visits don't cost you a you might want to hit up the Doc if the pain persists.
  5. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    Is it in the muscle? Tendon? Bone? Any idea at all? It could be a number of things, including tendonitis, stress fractures of the radius or ulna, or forearms splints, which are just like shin splints except of the forearms (obviously). Man, considering you're in the military and hospital visits don't cost you a you might want to hit up the Doc if the pain persists.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking about doing, then I talked to a *ahem* trainer *ahem* at the gym that most of the time knows what he's talking about, and he said "it happens to me too, man, a lot of people ask me about that actually, just do some forearm warmups before you do curls and stuff and that should help it."

But it does feel like it's similar to shin splints. If you hold your right arm straight out in front of you, palm down, the pain is on the lower outside of the forearm, where like 4 o'clock would be if your arm were a clock you were looking at, and on the left arm held the same way, it would be at about 8 oclock... and it's all along the forearm, from about 4 inches behind the wrist to about 8 inches behind the wrist in that same general area...
  6. Registered User

It's a forearm splint, exact thing as shin splints. Do wrist curls to help strengthen that area and TIME OFF will be the only thing that helps. Many of the guys I workout with have had these issues and strengthening the area of problem and time off are the only solutions.
    Last edited by not_big_enuf; 06-27-2005 at 02:29 PM.
  7. Board Supporter

EZ bar wrist curls? heavy or light for how many reps? how often? Thanks for your input!
  8. Registered User

Myself, I used straight bar curls, twice a week, 3-4 days apart. I started lower weight, with higher reps... 20 per set, and then gradually upped my weight and lowered reps to normal, 8-12. The reason I did this was because heavier weights would put more strain and cause more pain, but working up slowly over a few weeks, etc, I was able to limit the pain to less and less and strengthen my forearms.

I specifically had a reason my forearms were weaker; I broke both my hands in a motorcycle accident and were casted for 6-8 weeks. Not cool. I didn't notice immediately afterwards, but as I started to lift heavier and heavier, the pain came and it was excruciating. "Working through it" does not cut it as the pain is unbearable.

Also, stretch often and use ice. NSAIDS are somewhat helpful as well.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...WristCurl.html

Shin or forearms splints are actually the tearing of the muscle from the bone. Many times this happens if one of your muscles over powers the others. Think about if you have huge biceps but lagging forearms. One muscle group is much bigger and your stressing your forearms (as they aren't strong enough) to try to make up the effort to lift the weight.
  9. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by not_big_enuf
    Myself, I used straight bar curls, twice a week, 3-4 days apart. I started lower weight, with higher reps... 20 per set, and then gradually upped my weight and lowered reps to normal, 8-12. The reason I did this was because heavier weights would put more strain and cause more pain, but working up slowly over a few weeks, etc, I was able to limit the pain to less and less and strengthen my forearms.

I specifically had a reason my forearms were weaker; I broke both my hands in a motorcycle accident and were casted for 6-8 weeks. Not cool. I didn't notice immediately afterwards, but as I started to lift heavier and heavier, the pain came and it was excruciating. "Working through it" does not cut it as the pain is unbearable.

Also, stretch often and use ice. NSAIDS are somewhat helpful as well.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...WristCurl.html

Shin or forearms splints are actually the tearing of the muscle from the bone. Many times this happens if one of your muscles over powers the others. Think about if you have huge biceps but lagging forearms. One muscle group is much bigger and your stressing your forearms (as they aren't strong enough) to try to make up the effort to lift the weight.
    Thanks a lot man, you have been EXTREMELY helpful...
  10. Senior Member

Dude, don't listen to this bunk. I had the exact same problem and ONE visit to a physical therapist who does ART style techniques fixed me up pretty well. The second visit totally fixed the problem 100%. I'm want to start going in once a week for a while till my shoulder feels completely solid, but I hesitate to do that because the guy that works on me is super nice and does it for free. I'm going to try some cissus first I think, and see what that does.

Whatever you do, don't take NSAIDs consistently, they'll tear your heart and kidneys up badly. That's part of the reason a lot of bodybuilders have so many problems later in life (steroids are a minor player and GH actually reverses/mitigates a lot of the issues seen from steroid/drug abuse).
  11. Registered User

Try what you like, but if it's a forearm splint, I'd be surprised if one visit to anybody fixes it. To each his own, but anybody that's ever had shin splints knows that it's not a quick fix.

I agree on the NSAIDS though they can give some relief.
  12. Senior Member

That is 99% tendonitis of the brachialis muscle (also known as tennis elbow). ART works quite well on that, along with some time off.
  13. Board Supporter

I appreciate the suggestions exnihilo... Don't plan on taking any NSAIDs or anything, but the pain in yesterdays workout was slightly less than it had been being. The only thing I had done different was 3 sets of BB wrist curls before my workout, could be coincidence... Not considering ART though, I don't know anyone who'll do it for free.
  14. Registered User

I get it too Magic, usually just work through it. But thanks for the heads up Ex!
  15. New Member

I totally agree with not big enough, time off and strengthening of the forearms will definatley help.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Forearm pains, less impact exercises needed! HELP
    By andros in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-13-2007, 06:59 PM
  2. Forearm pain when benching or military presses.
    By flytrapcan in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 01:57 PM
  3. Forearm Pain!!
    By shyguy1 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 10:08 PM
  4. Chronic Upper Forearm Pain
    By PC1 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 08:49 PM
  5. How to stop recurring forearm pain?