Matt ALRI...a powerlifting routine?

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Matt, wanted to hear from someone connected with ALRI about a powerlifting routine seeingashow supplementation/nutrition is only part of the equation.

Right now I'm doing an HIT type of routine (and have through a whole 9 week run of Max LMG...it's a full body routine three times per week with each exercise in the 10 rep range to failure...not doing direct arm work at all right now.) I've made some decent strength gains through this routine...but the catch this time is I want to lose weight/fat while I gain strength this time. I'm 6'0" and 225 lbs at 30 years old....that's way too heavy (yeah, there's alot of fat in there but some decent muscle, too.) I could probably get to 200 before I'd be really lean.

I know powerlifters for the most part have to gain strength without gaining weight...and probably in some cases gain strength/hold onto strength while cutting weight (the guys not competing in the highest weight class.) Right now as I said I wanna lose weight and gain/retain strength...figured this would be a good way to do that (along with Max LMG.) And honestly, eventually I'm not going to really want to get much BIGGER, but I'll always want to be competitive with myself under a bar (if that makes any sense.)

Here's where I'm at right now on the two main exercises that I do (I'm not deadlifting currently because I really haven't found a way to work it into a full body routine but I have done it in the past and will do it again):

Squat (today) 315x8
Bench Press (today...inside shoulder width because it is better on my shoulders) 260x9

I have squatted 320 once and bench pressed (wider grip) 305 once...but that was a while ago and I think after getting acclimated to the heavier weights and lower reps I should be much higher on both lifts. Guess might be 360 in the squat and 325 in the bench press.

I think that's way outta proportion...but I've always been weak in the squat (though I've always done it.)

Really my end goal is to squat 500 and bench 400...anything beyond that (ever) will be gravy.

Now my shoulders are issues in the bench press...but I'm trying to rectify that with both better form, use of dumbbells, and what is coming in the mail tomorrow...an Inzer bench shirt...the cheaper one...people on this board thought it may help me out (even though I probably should have gotten the Titan shirt for that purpose.)

I train at home and alone...I have a "cage" with the safety bars, so aside from not being able to do any negative work, I think I can do pretty much anything (fail on the squat I just sit down and let the safety bars catch it.) The only way I can be religious about my training is if I can come home from work and go down into my dark basement and get to work.

Ultimately I'd like to switch between my proven (for my body) HIT training and a powerlifting routine(s.) Three sets of ten and time under tension type workouts don't appeal to me...I don't see the logic in them over an HIT or a powerlifting routine. I fooled around with Westside training months ago and was actually planning to use it again but since you introduced yourself on another section of this board I felt that since the company you are associated with is pumping out the very best supplements perhaps you guys had some insight I could use on a good powerlifting routine.

Oh and as far as how long I've been training...on and off since high school (more on)...but more recently I've been religious about training for about a year and a half. Kind of hard to say how long I've been training really given the off periods over the years.

Hope that was enough info while not being too wordy. I plan on starting such a routine in about five weeks (which will coincide with a lower carb diet and Max LMG plus one of the two new products.)

Thanks,
Dan

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Oh and one other thing...

I read a few of your other posts on this board...I would define what I currently do as "near failure" as you describe it...maybe I get the last rep, maybe I fail on it. No forced reps or anything like that. I just try to get every rep I can...sometimes I get that last one and know I can't do another so I just rack it, sometimes I can't get that last one (but as soon as I realize I can't get it I let it go...I don't sit there and fight it trying to get burned or anything.)

Matt ALRI

Awards
Give me a day or so and I'll post up a few of my favorite posts from the past which will clue everyone in on my thoughts regarding training and then we'll go from there.

I have a couple fantastic programs for strength and size.

I'll post those shortly.

Matt

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Give me a day or so and I'll post up a few of my favorite posts from the past which will clue everyone in on my thoughts regarding training and then we'll go from there.

I'll post those shortly.

Matt
Great man! Thanks.

nodgodbod

Awards
I'd appreciate that too - I'm always keen on learning how to get stronger without putting on weight.

CyberMuscle

CyberMuscle

Awards

I'll post those shortly.

Matt
Awesome :thumbsup: