ok, how 'bout this. twice/week training

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i'm on cycle. doing something like max-ot. 4 days/week is enough. 5 days a week to full blown failure is devastating to me. however, i'd like to crank it up now beyond once a week for each muscle group. with 3 weeks left in a 6 week cycle, i'm thinking it would be good to do the big compound movements (deads,squats,presses) twice weekly if possible. try to see rep/load increases for the remainder. any thoughts?

Matt ALRI

Awards
Training a bodypart twice per week has always been shown to be superior to once per week training of a muscle. The problem is with the influx of "Weider Principles" and other bodybuilding trash that's posted in the magazines, the masses have been stuck in the one-bodypart-per-week rut for years.

No strength athletes train a bodypart once per week. Most olympic lifters, powerlifters, and strongman train their backs at least four times per week, and last time I checked, they weren't lacking in back width.

The problem lies in your "full blown failure" which has also been shown to be inferior compared to "near failure." Studies show near failure (i.e. - meaning that maybe you fail at the last rep, or you leave one in the tank, but you don't beat the crap out of your muscles with forced reps, negatives, help from spotters, etc. until you can move the muscel at all) - anyway, near failure is shown to produce as much hypertrophy as total failure with one huge benefit - YOU CAN RECOVER EASIER FROM NEAR FAILRE. Which means that you can train twice as often which provides double the training stimulus which provides double the growth if done properly.

So, my recommendation is: Do the same volume you've been doing, only cut it in half for each workout and train that muscle group twice per week.

The easiest way to do this is to do an upper/lower split.

Matt

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
Matt. Would you mind giving a couple of examples of good routines that are not upper/lower split where one could train each bodypart twice in a week? My current split looks like this:

Monday: Chest/Light Triceps
Tuesday: Back/Light Biceps
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Shoulders/Traps
Friday: Biceps/Triceps

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Matt ALRI

Awards
Sure - there are two valid ways to do it:

1) Upper/ Lower

or

2) Push/ Pull

I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for. I can tell by your question that you're still thinking like the reader of a muscle magazine. For example, take your split...you're working your upper body four days per week and your lower body one day per week. Do you see a problem with that? I do.

An upper/ lower split or a push/ pull split will accomplish working each muscle group twice per week in a balanced way.

Matt

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
You're right, Matt. I AM stuck in that old way of thinking. Before finding this site, the magazines were my only knowledge.. I'm really greatful for places like this with knowledgeable people (like yourself) who can really tell me how it should be done...

I'll probably go with a Push/Pull routine.. Is there a routine you could start me off with like this?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I like Matt's advice. I think a combination of both bodybuilding and powerlifting styles should be used. Constantly switching your routine (ie reps, sets, split) will prevent your body from adapting and constantly force it to change. Bottom line is maybe train one bp/week for a month then switch it up and hit each bp twice/week with lower volume. It's all about keeping things fresh bro.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Hitting muscles twice a week has also given better strength gains too. Just make sure you keep the volume reasonable.

yankees3

Board Supporter
Awards
You're right, Matt. I AM stuck in that old way of thinking. Before finding this site, the magazines were my only knowledge.. I'm really greatful for places like this with knowledgeable people (like yourself) who can really tell me how it should be done...

I'll probably go with a Push/Pull routine.. Is there a routine you could start me off with like this?
Bump for Matt (or anyone else with a good Push/Pull routine)

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
upper/lower, westside style, is my baby. I can't' write you a routine, you should go to www.elitefts.com and read the articles in the t-mag and louie simmons sections, and read a lot of the articles by jim wendler as well. They will help you understand better how to put together a program tailored for you. Most important articles to read are the eight keys and the periodization bible part two.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I like Matt's advice. I think a combination of both bodybuilding and powerlifting styles should be used. Constantly switching your routine (ie reps, sets, split) will prevent your body from adapting and constantly force it to change. Bottom line is maybe train one bp/week for a month then switch it up and hit each bp twice/week with lower volume. It's all about keeping things fresh bro.
I wholeheartedly second that advice. Switching up your routines and training style is essential for avoiding plateaus and continuous growth.

For me at least, I cant stick with a powerlifting style routine year round...my joints and tendons just cant take it. But alternating between bodybuilding style-training and strength training routines every few months has led to nice gains in strength and mass, while preventing injury.

BV

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
probably do just that. just want to get my big three poundages up now. hey, exnihilo, would you mind looking at the elitefts link above? question: are there any moves i can substitute for rvs hyper & ghr? i have tried rigging these in the garage, but they are awkward & crappy to say the least. can i do deads or something in their place on squat me/de days? thanks dudes.

Attachments