partial deadlifts

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
what's the consensus on these? i've been doing 'em in the power rack from about knee height to try & leave the hams out. is this bad for the back when going really heavy?

Matt ALRI

Awards
It's fine, but it's just an assistance exercise. The small range of motion won't do much for hypertrophy - it will most likely help build a stable core more than anything else.

If your goal is hypertrophy or just general strength development, you'd be better served making regular deadlifts or even deadlifts standing on a 2-3" box your primary movement for back development.

Matt

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It's fine, but it's just an assistance exercise. The small range of motion won't do much for hypertrophy - it will most likely help build a stable core more than anything else.

If your goal is hypertrophy or just general strength development, you'd be better served making regular deadlifts or even deadlifts standing on a 2-3" box your primary movement for back development.

Matt
Deadlifts off a box are killer. Great exercise.

Matt ALRI

Awards
I believe they are second only to Olympic Squats as the greatest exercise known to man.

Matt

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love rack deadlifts myself. Do a HEAVY controlled set of these and I suspect you won't be thinking of them as an accesory exercise anymore. With a wide grip I find these really hit the lats in a similar fashion to rows, as well as working the traps and lower back very nicely. I find I can do these early in the week, and still be able to squat heavy later in the week. If I perform both full deadlifts and squats, my knees take a real pounding, so I have to pick one or the other.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i just wondered if anybody had ever hurt their back doing partials using substantially greater loads than they might use doing deads from the floor. i appreciate all the fine thoughts guys.

Matt ALRI

Awards
Julius,

It depends on the lifter as to whether you are prone to hurting your back doing them. I have pulled over 800 from well below the knees on a rack deadlift. I pull near 700 off the floor. I don't suspect I'll be throwing my back out anytime soon.

However, if you have a kid who can only deadlift 225 off the floor and he's pulling double that in the rack, then it's probably time to get a little stronger on the full range stuff first.

Silver is correct. It is a good exercise for lats, erectors, traps, etc., though honestly it is still inferior to full range pulls. But as long as you are doing full range pulls, then have at it with the rack pulls.

Matt

BULK_CITY

Awards
i have a bad left knee that i am rehabing... how much pressure do you think full deads put on them? i used to do sumo deads b/c i have really long legs/arms and i could lift more than regular style deads... now i just do rack deads to help the knees, is that ok? how much pressure is on the knees from sumo/reg deads?

thx

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Pulls off a 4" box are GOD! BOW DOWN IN WORSHIP!

ivydude

Board Supporter
Awards
With rack deads you should never go heavier than 10% of your 1 RM of a regular deadlift according to Westside training principles. Also, make sure that the bottom of the plate is only 8 inches off the floor (or less, 4" or 6" is ok too) when it's at rest on the rack. It's a waste of time and it's not going to help your regular deadlift to put the bar knee height.