Rear Delt exercises (Posterior)

1. Gold Member

Rear Delt exercises (Posterior)

I am soley focusing on my rear delts because I feel my Anterior not only over power my rear delts but over power my bicep and make the already small flat bicep.. look miniscule.

So... I have completly dropped all front raises and most shoulder presses besides 3 light sets of 20 rep Arnold Presses. I now only do seated lateral raises slightly to the front (towards my head) and then I do the same raises but standing with my chest on an incline bench bending foward. I was thinking of maybe doing these one armed with cables?

What other exercies do you guys do for rear delts?

2. CDB

Quote Originally Posted by JonesersRX7
    I am soley focusing on my rear delts because I feel my Anterior not only over power my rear delts but over power my bicep and make the already small flat bicep.. look miniscule.

So... I have completly dropped all front raises and most shoulder presses besides 3 light sets of 20 rep Arnold Presses. I now only do seated lateral raises slightly to the front (towards my head) and then I do the same raises but standing with my chest on an incline bench bending foward. I was thinking of maybe doing these one armed with cables?

What other exercies do you guys do for rear delts?
    Bent Over Rows. Instead of bringing the bar to your abdomen bring it up to your collar bone, that takes the deltoid out of the role of a synergist and makes it a primary muscle in the exercise. Regular T Bar Rows hit my rear delts great as well.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  270 lbs.

free motion or high cable reverse laterals (left cable in right hand and vice versa)
    •   

4. Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Max32
    free motion or high cable reverse laterals (left cable in right hand and vice versa)
    I did this one arm at a time going light weight and controlling the movement... noticable soreness in the rear head.

Thanks Max!

Going to try the rows next time CDB, I had felt I was to wiped to add them this time.
  5. Registered User

So you've dropped all heavy compound shoulder movements to focus on "isolation exercises" for your rear delts.

Bad move. Continue heavy ass standing military and push presses and add heavy ass bent over barbell rows. Don't bring the bar to your clavicle. Bring it to your upper abdomen. Put the bar on the ground after each rep and keep your torso parallel to the ground. There should be no hip flexion at all. Just flex hard and arch your back. If you're ending up at 45 degrees from the floor at the end of each rep, strip a bunch of weight off, throw your ego in the trash and grow some rear delts and a back.

Matt
  6. Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    ALRIIf you're ending up at 45 degrees from the floor at the end of each rep, strip a bunch of weight off, throw your ego in the trash and grow some rear delts and a back.

Matt
  7. Gate Keeper

Bent over rows always hit me rear delts pretty good but when doing them make sure you hold your abdominals tight to help support the spine. Oh and reverse pec flys always hits the spot as well.
  8. Board Supporter

Yes, bent rows. Gets mine good.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.

Reverse pec flies help, i left bent over rows alone years back...made a bad arching mistake, and woh...

I always use cable flies, but i usually go from a bottom up motion. Sorta like when a tennis player is return a swing back handed. I've been tempted to try them from high cable pully, but i always figured the movement should be similar to bent over flies.
    Oh, and i usually did them 1 arm at a time...also, reverse flies off the bench with ur chest against the bench at an angel has worked great for me also.

1 other thing i did to help push the surface of them out was when i did the seated T-bar machine, i'd grab outside on the edges of the T, instead of where the grips are, and it allowed me to get a higher and deeper stretch when i pulled back...could really feel it in the rear delts.
    ---The destruction of my enemies is to make them my friends---
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What are the best rear delt exercises!
    By soccerkid55 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM
  2. post ur fav rear delt lift
    By Brolic in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 02:29 PM
  3. Best for rear delt mass?
    By handzilla in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-20-2008, 11:41 PM
  4. Rear Delt