Full Body 3 day splits VS 5 day Trad. BB split

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
I wanted to continue the thread which was started on the anabolics forum.

How is your CNS feeling on the 3 full body routine? Are you going to failure etc?
The 5x5 has been beautiful, no probs with the CNS recovering. The way it works out, I go to failure, on the last set sometimes, on Mondays with squats and bench.

Fridays I try to up the weight by 5-10lbs on the squats and bench on the last set. If I hit it, it becomes the new weight for Monday. Wed. is 10-20% less of Monday's weight and then Friday I try to increase again. If I don't hit the higher weight I repeat the week with the previous weight.

So basically I go to failure often on the last set Monday and always on Fridays.

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established
Are you doing the "standard" 5x5?

Mon squat/bench/row/accessory
Wed squat/military/pullup/deadlift
Fri squat/bench/row/accessory

mon all sets same weight, wed all sets same weight but reduced 20% from mon, fri working up to max weight set.

I was thinking of giving this a go, I assume this is what you are doing?

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
Are you doing the "standard" 5x5?

Mon squat/bench/row/accessory
Wed squat/military/pullup/deadlift
Fri squat/bench/row/accessory

mon all sets same weight, wed all sets same weight but reduced 20% from mon, fri working up to max weight set.

I was thinking of giving this a go, I assume this is what you are doing?
Yes, that's the split I'm doing. I do abs 5x10 on Mon. and hammer curls for the biceps on friday 3x5

It's a great program. I run it for 4-6 weeks then switch to 3x3 for 2-3 weeks and then rest for 5-7 days then start the 5x5 again. The gains have been great with no overtraining.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
5x5 is a good introductory program for developing both strength and size at the same time. DC style training is very similar, and works equally well. Eventually I think WSB style routines are the way to go for anyone who wants to continue to get stronger, and isn't as concerned about how big/symmetrical they are.

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
5x5 is a good introductory program for developing both strength and size at the same time. DC style training is very similar, and works equally well. Eventually I think WSB style routines are the way to go for anyone who wants to continue to get stronger, and isn't as concerned about how big/symmetrical they are.
I tried westside for several months a while back and didn't get that great results. I've since heard that it is a bit better for more advanced PLers, which I am def. not.

I started getting into PLing after realizing I had the "all show and no go". Body looked great but weights weren't high enough for what the frame looked like. I've found PLing is a whole different animal than BBing. I'm totally hooked though and always look forward to the 3x3 section after the 5x5.

I'll give the Russian Bench routine another go in a few months. In that one you work the chest 3x per week with both flat and incline as well as supporting exercises. My chest grew very nicely on that as well but the strength increase was the main goal and it boosted my flat by 15 lbs in a month and my incline by 20lbs. And that was without taking anything other than protein and fish oil.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Westside is a very complicated system, it's really meant to be applied by someone with coaching experience. People think it's just about the DE and ME days, and that's not the case... Those are just part of the overall system - the real key to westside is constantly focusing on your weak points and bringing them up, and that requires being able to figure out what your weak points are and knowing what exercises to do in order to improve them.

nodgodbod

Awards
does anyone have a link to the 5x5 routine? sounds interesting

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't squat every day, I wouldn't bench every day (rotate flat incline and military press) and I wouldn't deadlift and squat on the same day.

Also, I'd up the reps on wednesday, 8-10ish. Personally I think DC's routine is a slight bit better set up than this however.

x_muscle

Awards
  • Established
can you use this program for one lagging mucle group only, for example the chest. and train rest of the body in a narmal routine!

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
I wouldn't squat every day, I wouldn't bench every day (rotate flat incline and military press) and I wouldn't deadlift and squat on the same day.

Also, I'd up the reps on wednesday, 8-10ish. Personally I think DC's routine is a slight bit better set up than this however.
There have been times when I've just deadlifted on Wednesdays when I don't feel 100% so I understand what your saying. The other times I decrease the weights on Wednesday by 20% of Mondays numbers but keep it at 5x5, so I imagine this would be using around the 8-10 RM weight ( what you're rec. I think) but only doing it for 5.

As for DC, I thought that was more of a BBing routine, i.e. higher reps ect. I do incorperate his stretches into my 5x5. They hurt so good :D

Enigma76

Enigma76

Awards
  • Established

Starting this 5x5 layout using your recommendations (actually makes much more sense this way, I was already going to just sub in deads for squats on wed).

All 5x5 and same weight otherwise noted.

Mon: Squat, Incline DB Bench, BB Row, Dips (doing BW as I weigh plenty for this, doing only 3 sets of 8).

Wed: Deadlift, DB Military Press, Pullup, Preachers (again, 3 sets of 8 at a moderate weight).

Fri: Squat (working up to a max weight 5 rep set), Flat BB Bench, BB Row, Dips (and again, 3x8 at BW).

I just threw in preachers on wed as an accessory for bicepts, however I am uncertain if there is another, better exercise I can do similar to how dips work more than just tris.

Look good?

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My chest grew very nicely on that as well but the strength increase was the main goal and it boosted my flat by 15 lbs in a month and my incline by 20lbs. And that was without taking anything other than protein and fish oil.
Do you have a link or detailed explanation of your workouts while you were doing this?

AcuDoc

Board Supporter
Awards
Starting this 5x5 layout using your recommendations (actually makes much more sense this way, I was already going to just sub in deads for squats on wed).

All 5x5 and same weight otherwise noted.

Mon: Squat, Incline DB Bench, BB Row, Dips (doing BW as I weigh plenty for this, doing only 3 sets of 8).

Wed: Deadlift, DB Military Press, Pullup, Preachers (again, 3 sets of 8 at a moderate weight).

Fri: Squat (working up to a max weight 5 rep set), Flat BB Bench, BB Row, Dips (and again, 3x8 at BW).

I just threw in preachers on wed as an accessory for bicepts, however I am uncertain if there is another, better exercise I can do similar to how dips work more than just tris.

Look good?
I like hammer curls instead of preachers but that's just my preference. I also only do 1-2 sets of them per week since they're getting plenty of work on the other days.

All those dips in addition to the presses might be a bit hard on the triceps. If it was me I'd put 1-2x 5 Bi work on wed. and 1-2 sets of Tri work, if any, on Fri. Personally I work the abs Mon and Fri. with the Bi set on Wed.