Votes: 105 36.0%
  • Late at Night (9pm - 2am)

Votes: 31 10.6%

• Total voters
BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I usually train late at night (get to the gym around 9:30pm), but Im really thinking about making an effort to go at 6am. I really need to be there 4-5 days a week to meet my goals, but I always endup missing a day. Either because Im freakin' exhausted after work or because whenever I workout late I want to stay up until 2am.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You overlooked the Very Early Morning...3:45-4:45AM.

Damn, that means I should be sleeping right now instead of posting:frustrate

RMT

Board Supporter
Awards
I work out late at night, also.

Just finished up. No all night gyms around where I live and after work I've got to finish up some stuff at home before I work out. Built up a gym down stairs and work out in the evenings.

RMT

JonesersRX7

JonesersRX7

Awards
  • Established
Right when I get off work.. so around 6:30PM on lifting days. Cardio in the mornings.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Usually early nights... 4-6pm or so. Work early in the day, my nap in the afternoon :eek: , then I usually train. Also, i tend to have the most energy during that time.
Sage

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
7:30-9:30 for me. Cardio after training.

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I train from 10pm-3am. Depends on what im doing.

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
4:00-4:30pm faithfully....... Just like clock work.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
All different times. I work 2 part time jobs so my schedule is different everyday. Luckily one of the jobs is at a gym :thumbsup:

Sgt. Ownage

Board Supporter
Awards
11:30 every morning followed by glorious cardio...

redraiderdave

Awards
  • Established
5 a.m. workouts rule! I've tried working out all hours of the day
over the past ten years. Two years ago I started working out
at 5 am due to work and I have been hooked on that time ever
since.

Stormrider

Awards
You haven't lived until you deadlift at 5am in the morning. ;)

Watcher

Awards
My training varies from day to day. Most days I try"to get up and do my cardio in the morning and like to lift weights/train at night. Depending on my work schedule and how I feel I will do my lifting in the morning and call it a day.

Phoenix rising

Awards
I've always loved training between the hrs of 12-3 pm. I'm currently have to train after work at 8:30 a.m. I'm on morning watch and tried to train when I woke in the evening. That didn't fly whatsoever.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Weekends between 9am -11:00am
Weekdays after work 5:30pm - 7:30pm

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
ugh..I can't believe some of you guys are doing cardio right after weights...after training, all I wanna do is laydown with my thumb in my mouth...and that's AFTER I vomit up 3 buckets of blood...lol.

I always try to train an hour or two after my first meal...I've seen my best results that way...but some days are kinda hectic so then I just get it in whenever I can. Cardio is always done on non-wo days and usually first thing in the morning on empty stomach on weekends...

Ant.

Cutting Sucks!
Awards
I usually train around 5:30pm. I do cardio in the morning when I am off of work and after workouts when I cant do it in the morning.

DavidJ21

Awards
Usually late since not too many people are working out.

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I am self-employed so I pretty much decide when I go to the gym. :D After experimenting, I must say that early afternoon, right around 2 PM is what works best for me. I recently read a study that says that is the time of day when you should be weakest. Oh well.

Seriously, I must admit to being somewhat baffled by your stating you train in the early hours. I mean, I feel I MUST have a real meal in me and 90 minutes minimum digestion time after that before I start doing anything. And 2 meals + 90 minutes is what works best for me. How do you do it? 120 minutes before 5AM, that's 3AM that's the time I would have to get up at, in order to hit the gym at 5AM. :food:

-2z-

Awards
  • Established
I stop on the way home from work....actual workout time is around 4:30-5:30pm

goldenchild777

Awards
6 am every morning! Thought this was an interesting read for the topic!

Time of day and CNS
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Lifters that don’t understand, or downplay the importance of full CNS capacity are often trainees that have a tough time with overall progress. Simply put, if your mind cannot send a STRONG signal to the neural net and the motor units, you just will not lift to your capacity. Like anything else related to the body, CNS capacity is a finite thing, and there are limits to what you can do, how hard you can do it, and the frequency of time it will take you to recover from it. Without going into all the factors involved, I’m going to address one simple aspect of CNS “firing� capacity--time of day.

There are many neurotransmitters and various metabolic systems that determine CNS capacity as it applies to weight training. You likely know many “morning people�, as well as “vampires�. Some of this has to do with personality of course, but much of it is also related to levels of neurotransmitters. Some people start the day firing on all cylinders at full power, and others need a warm-up. Some a LONG warm-up.

As a trainer, I frequently get calls by clients that are dismayed by a bad days lifting performance after changing their lifting session time by a large time-span. The most typical is an afternoon or evening trainer that has to do an early morning session because of job or family requirements. Often performance is HORRIBLE. And I speak from experience on this one because I can only be described as a vampire. I wake up SLOW, and it takes a couple hours for me to feel totally awake, and me trying to lift before I have been awake at LEAST 4-5 hours is just a waste of time. For me, the longer I have been awake the better the session usually is. For others, once they are awake, or past a certain time threshold, more time doesn’t make any difference in performance.

On the other end of the spectrum are the “morning� guys. I train a lot of lifters that get right up and are in the gym 45 minutes to an hour or so after waking, and do spectacular. CNS is at a peak for these guys in the morning, and they capitalize on it.

Though most of you are locked into when you can train because of work and family obligations, it will pay off for the ones that have options to find the best time of the day to hit the gym and be at full capacity. And if you are forced into flopping your schedule for a time, especially to an early morning schedule, don’t be surprised if you do less than anticipated.

Iron Addict
[/font]

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
I workout at 9:30am because that when my energy level is the highest and I have to say that when my sex drive is at it highest. When I combine my energy and sex drive together, it produce a powerful workout for me and that what I need to conquer the weights. :)

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Late mornings always worked best in terms of energy and times of least activity at most gyms Ive been to, waiting for a machine or station can screw up the momentum of a good workout.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
That was a good post Goldenchild! Ive always been a night owl, although I suppose if I had to start training in the AM I could. If I had it my way, Id wake up at 10am everyday and go to bed at 2am.

BV

Coolkat

Awards
Well, ... I have had some good results with my am workouts. I keep them to 30-45 mion. with good intensity. However I have a home gym, drink coffee for 20-30 min. before, and can get showered and to work within 1 hour after workout.

So i am doing more sets per bodypart over 2 weeks due to not missing workouts due to after work stuff ( i.e. - "too tired", someone wants me to do something, or I have to do this/that. )

good luck

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
Been doing 4:30am for the past 6 years.....Love it!

Gumbo

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
i base my workout times around when everyone else goes. i like being one of the few in the weight room.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I train only at night. I have more energy in the AM, but I'll sweat for 6 hours almost till noon when I do morning routines! My metabolism is way to stimulated to go to work after that all shakey and sweaty. Plus, I'm more tired in the afternoon/evening, but my strength is way higher than in the morning. Kinda weird.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
ya im an afternooner to late afternooner right now but only cause i got early school, when i have no obligations i prefer a 12 am-2am start time for my work outs. im always up late anyways and i love waking up still feeling ripped.:yawn: :head:

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, me too. Having to get up in the morning for work is killing me though - I usually get out of the gym around 11:00 and by the time I get home, PWO shake, shower, etc its nearly 12:00. Then Im always up for at least another 2 hours.

dmacdbest

Awards
I go around 8:30pm.. that way the gym usually consists of people that are there to train, not make it a social hour... plus, there are only about 10-12 of us in the gym.. makes it easy to get where I want, when I want, without having to work in with anyone. Get it done.. and get out... one of life's great philosophies.. haha ;)

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
there was no "whenever i have time" so i just randomly picked one.

gixxman

Board Supporter
Awards
Usually night time 10:30 and later...can't wake up in the morning and between 5-9:30pm my gym is a no no...wayyyyyyyy too many poeple there and most are just socializing...although if ur looking to pick up thats the best time

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i work out, at 730pm 5 days a week, on tuesday and thursday i have to run about 3 miles for pt and thats at 630am

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
I get done with practice around 430 and then I usually hit up the gym after

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My workout schedule varies with my work schedule. I work a 12 hour rotating shift, which makes it impossible to have one set workout time.

When working days, I lift after getting home from work. This makes it a chore to get to sleep most nights though, as I tend to need some sort of stimulants to get properly motivated after a 12 hour shift. I'd workout in the morning, but I'd have to do so at around 5:00 am or so, which isn't really possible since I lift at home and make a pile of noise when doing so (I live in an apartment building so noise is an issue).

When working nights, I tend to lift in the afternoon before heading to work. On days when I'm not working I usually hit the weights a few hours after waking up and having breakfast.

MadJimF

MadJimF

Awards
  • Established
I don't see how you guys workout after work, I get up at 6:am don't get home till 7:30 pm, out climbing polls, digging, crawling, I get a crappy workout after work, good thing, I work 4 10 hour days every week, so Fri, Sat, Sun, I train hard pretend I'm a pro bodybuilder, workout around 1:30pm but I do a 4 day split, so on monday night after work, arrrrrrrrgggg

*Bulldog*

Awards
Late....

I have to be at work at 7am. I work until 4:30 most days. I have every other friday off. The gym is waaaaay too crowded after work. I hate waiting in line to use equipment. So I really have no choice but to work out in the evening. Usually around 9pm. It's tough as **** too after working a 9 1/2 hour day.

On days I have off I wake up when I feel like it and go to the gym when I feel like it.....that is a LUXURY.....God I wish I could do that all the time.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing 9am for the past couple years, and I think I'm starting to get used to it. I prefer 3-4pm, I'm always stronger in the afternoon, because of LIFE I've had to do the morning thing, I'm starting to like it even but I know if I started afternoons my lifts would go up, it's just the way I am!

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Do cardio at 5 am followed by calves and abs
And work out at 5pm I feel I am much stronger in the evening

YonkersCBR954

Banned
Awards
i usually go late afternoon ...5-8pm but i sometimes go around 9pm also ...i would like to start going at 5am sometimes though ...but i think im going to wait untill i start my new job to do that ...ill have a much better work schedual than i have now ....

SJA

SJA

dead sexy wino
Awards
  • Established
You overlooked the Very Early Morning...3:45-4:45AM.

Damn, that means I should be sleeping right now instead of posting:frustrate

Only psychos and criminals train at that hour.....which one are you??

You said you would call :sad: You don't love me anymore :rant:

darkpoet3113

Awards
i work at home so i don't usually get up until 11:00AM tried working out first thing in the mourning, and after waking up... sux for me... i work at 3:00 Pm everyday... except offdays.
cheers,
darkpoet3113