do you train with a partner or alone? - AnabolicMinds.com

Poll: how many training partners do you workout with?

do you train with a partner or alone?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Advanced Member

do you train with a partner or alone?

I typically train alone. sometimes some of my friends come to the gym with me and follow whatever excercises I do. Usually they aren't intense enough and aren't really into the workout, so i have found that i like working out alone.

but recently i became friends with this kid who is a genetic anomoly and i tried training with him, but i simply couldn't hang with his routine (after only 1 week) which included a lot of volume, a lot forced reps, negatives, etc. I was so overtrained my benched decreased by about 50lbs in one week!

so, right now i'm saying **** training partners, i know what works for me, i get in, get out, keep to myself, and thats it.

rant over.

oh yea, feel free to vote in the poll.

2. Board Supporter

Alone..... I've yet to find a REALLY good training partner... When I do train with someone, I'm there as much for them as I am for myself, and I expect the same in return. I feed off other peoples energy, so ideally I would train with a clone of myself, but that's not possible, thus.....

*cues Godsmack music* IIIII.... TRAIN ALOOONEEE!!!
  3. Registered User

I have trained alone for almost five years. I could never find a friend who wanted to train with me or someone with the varying schedule I have. I recently have gotten three of my good friends to FINALLY get into lifting and I sometimes work out with them and still sometimes end up by myself. When it comes to lifting heavy, it's never a problem to have someone in the gym to spot me.
    Last edited by D_town; 06-01-2005 at 09:46 PM. Reason: still learning to spell
    •   

4. Board Supporter

impossible to train with a partner for me. they slow me down and make my workouts sluggish, its hard to find someone as motivated as myself.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

No need for a partner. I just throw on the headphones and go.
  6. New Member

I train alone usually, but for the past month have had a partner

I had a friend who wanted to work out with me last year, and it was a disaster, after two weeks I started going without him. It made the workouts too slow, too many questions, too much talk.

This year I met a guy who I am still training with, it's nice sometimes to have someone who will spot you right when you are ready to do the set instead of waiting for someone to ask, that's about the only good part IMO. Still, it slows the workout a bit, changing plates and such. Little of the bad, little of the good.
  7. Senior Member

Powerlifters CAN'T train alone, just doesn't work with the type of training we do... But if you're doing pump/tut work and you prefer not to have a partner that's cool.
  8. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    Powerlifters CAN'T train alone, just doesn't work with the type of training we do... But if you're doing pump/tut work and you prefer not to have a partner that's cool.
    so your saying its not a good thing to attempt a 600lb bench without a spotter?
  9. Board Supporter

Unless you can easily handle 900 then 600 is merly a warm up
  10. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    No need for a partner. I just throw on the headphones and go.
    My only workout partner is Hetfield.
  11. Board Supporter

I train alone. I get a good workout that way. I do not go to a gym either. No distractions.
  12. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by James
    I train alone. I get a good workout that way. I do not go to a gym either. No distractions.
    More power to you bro. Dedication is dedication. Having weights close to my couch would be a distraction. When I'm at the gym- I work out. But, I know what you mean.
  13. Senior Member

I train like I drink...alone.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I lift alone. Sorta like Dtown, my buddies over the years have tried to hang, but never can. Now that I'm doing Bobo's routine, it takes me longer, so no one wants to lift with me.

I just put on my mp3 player and lift to some hip-hop.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs
    I train like I drink...alone.
    Sounds depressing when you put it that way.
  16. New Member

I train alone most of the time. My friend who comes sometimes always makes excuses for why he isn't as big as me, as strong as me, and why he doesn't go all out. Therefore I am training alone. I don't like partners especially if they aren't on the same level. I go to the gym don't talk to anyone or make much eye contact, lift, do my cardio, and go home.
  17. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.

I train alone in the morning before work.

Years ago I had great training partners, my best friend who was a champ. bodybuilder and I used to go in the gym after hours when everyone was gone and just hammer the weights.

No noise. No distractions. No interruptions.

A great training partner can take you further than you can go alone, but most I have found unsatisfactory.
  18. New Member

finding a training partner when you have slackers for friends like me is like pulling teeth...no dedication or intensity

oh well...theres always hope...

regards,
    COTC
  19. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

i work out with a partner, but it's more like i'm his trainer. i tell him what to do, how many sets/reps. it's not really that annoying, cuz it's cool to watch him have some success after he was away at college and tried really hard to grow and didn't. he's like my sidekick.

plus he PUSHES ME TO DO MY CARDIO 4 times a week. no kidding, i think he's bringing the whip tomorrow and standing behind me on the elliptical!
    so it's kind of like an even exchange I guess.
  20. Registered User

I train both with my 2 sons and alone... teens aren`t always around and I will not skip a WO for anyone!
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.

alone, one car garage,power rack,smith machine,vert. leg press. 1200lbs free weights, xm radio,Texas, 95f & 60% humidity today.
  22. New Member

Can't you use a power rack? I trained doing a Westside routine for about two months (shoulders went bad and had to stop) and didn't have any problems.

Then again, if you workout at a gym I wouldn't think people would look favorably at a guy using the rack to bench press...
  23. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

maybe powerlifters can use a power rack to bench, but they need someone to help them load on all those damn plates!
  24. Senior Member

Power rack doesn't work the same as boards, and pin presses suck. Plus you need to be able to take it full range.

Now, suspending a bar from chains is a step up, and is what I would do if I didn't have a group of guys to lift with - it's much better than using pins in a power rack - but still not quite as good.
  25. Banned

cant stand lifting with anyone! "hey what dose this lift do?", "hey take off your headphones for a min.", "im sore" , " whats a deadlift?" i need peace when if blasting mucic into my head and ripping whight from the floor.
  26. New Member

Power rack doesn't work the same as boards, and pin presses suck. Plus you need to be able to take it full range.

Now, suspending a bar from chains is a step up, and is what I would do if I didn't have a group of guys to lift with - it's much better than using pins in a power rack - but still not quite as good.
    See, I can for whatever reason use boards with my power rack (perhaps because I'm not barrell chested.) The boards stay in place fine, and when I fail I just roll the barbell down the boards until it leaves the boards and drops on the pins.

Also, if I'm not using boards and am going for a more full range, I find all I have to do is (on the bench press) deflate my chest to get the weight to fall to the pins...then I just kinda wiggle my way out of there.
  27. Board Supporter

I train with my little brother... It's fun.. he does what I tell him to do.. and he's into it now as much as I am. When he was in highschool one of his nick names was "pipes" cause his arms were skinny from one end to the other.. now he ain't looking to bad. (although we both have a long way to go.)
  28. Banned

Does the girlfriend count? I usually go through my workout, then she comes and I help her with hers.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  175 lbs.

Most of the time I train alone. I workout with a couple of guys from the office every now and then, but they are not very consistent.
  30. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'2"  180 lbs.

Finding a dedicated training parter has been impossible for me. They either "lecture" me with gym myth or can never find the time to come. It's like Ronnie says, "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weights!"
  31. New Member

I've always trained alone ever since I began lifting. I have tried working out with other people and if their goals are not the same as mine it never seems to work out.
  32. New Member

Alone. I've never met someone who is as dedicated I am to my workouts.
  33. New Member

WIth 1 partner : my mp3 player.
  34. New Member

I train with a partner. Just like its been said from a few other people, I tell him what do, sets, etc. I enjoy working out with a partner but relying on people to get there on time is a pain in the ass.
  35. Board Supporter

Ive just started to train with a mate after training alone for ages. I dont know how long it is going to last though...three weeks in and he has already skipped two work outs this week!
    The forced reps and negatives are nice though
  36. New Member

Alone now.. I used to have a dedicated workout partner, but as soon as he got married he quit going to the gym.. then I had another one for a short time, but his g/f didn't like him to go to the gym, when he "should" be with her.. Yes, I too, am like.. WTF??!?!?!

So, I've been going solo.. but, getting the results I want, so it's all good!!
  37. New Member

i work out with my roomate, so we are constantly motivating each other .......NICE
  38. New Member

i usually train alone, although i wouldnt mind finding a good workout partner for motivation.
  39. New Member

I trained alone when I first began.

Now, I rarely train without a partner. Like a couple of guys here, I set the exercises, weight, reps.

My training partner is my best asset in the gym - we have similar goals and know how to push each other to do our best.

wcsav
  40. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by julius kelp
    alone, one car garage,power rack,smith machine,vert. leg press. 1200lbs free weights, xm radio,Texas, 95f & 60% humidity today.
    Damn, where do you live? There's a house down the street from me with a bunch of equipment in the garage. hmm

Similar Forum Threads

1. How often do you train with no supplement?
    By baconbaco in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 05:27 AM
  2. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
  3. Do you train lower back with abs?
    By joshingyou in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 03:16 AM
  4. Do you perfer to frontload test or use dbol?
    By JBlaze in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 11:16 AM