do you train with a partner or alone?

how many training partners do you workout with?

• alone

Votes: 240 76.7%
  • one

Votes: 65 20.8%
  • two or more

Votes: 8 2.6%

• Total voters

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
I typically train alone. sometimes some of my friends come to the gym with me and follow whatever excercises I do. Usually they aren't intense enough and aren't really into the workout, so i have found that i like working out alone.

but recently i became friends with this kid who is a genetic anomoly and i tried training with him, but i simply couldn't hang with his routine (after only 1 week) which included a lot of volume, a lot forced reps, negatives, etc. I was so overtrained my benched decreased by about 50lbs in one week!

so, right now i'm saying **** training partners, i know what works for me, i get in, get out, keep to myself, and thats it.

rant over.

oh yea, feel free to vote in the poll.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Alone..... I've yet to find a REALLY good training partner... When I do train with someone, I'm there as much for them as I am for myself, and I expect the same in return. I feed off other peoples energy, so ideally I would train with a clone of myself, but that's not possible, thus.....

*cues Godsmack music* IIIII.... TRAIN ALOOONEEE!!!

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
I have trained alone for almost five years. I could never find a friend who wanted to train with me or someone with the varying schedule I have. I recently have gotten three of my good friends to FINALLY get into lifting and I sometimes work out with them and still sometimes end up by myself. When it comes to lifting heavy, it's never a problem to have someone in the gym to spot me.

Last edited:

youi09

Board Supporter
Awards
impossible to train with a partner for me. they slow me down and make my workouts sluggish, its hard to find someone as motivated as myself.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
No need for a partner. I just throw on the headphones and go.

50joe

Awards
  • Established
I train alone usually, but for the past month have had a partner

I had a friend who wanted to work out with me last year, and it was a disaster, after two weeks I started going without him. It made the workouts too slow, too many questions, too much talk.

This year I met a guy who I am still training with, it's nice sometimes to have someone who will spot you right when you are ready to do the set instead of waiting for someone to ask, that's about the only good part IMO. Still, it slows the workout a bit, changing plates and such. Little of the bad, little of the good.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Powerlifters CAN'T train alone, just doesn't work with the type of training we do... But if you're doing pump/tut work and you prefer not to have a partner that's cool.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
Powerlifters CAN'T train alone, just doesn't work with the type of training we do... But if you're doing pump/tut work and you prefer not to have a partner that's cool.
so your saying its not a good thing to attempt a 600lb bench without a spotter?

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Unless you can easily handle 900 then 600 is merly a warm up :D

James

James

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I train alone. I get a good workout that way. I do not go to a gym either. No distractions.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
I train alone. I get a good workout that way. I do not go to a gym either. No distractions.
More power to you bro. Dedication is dedication. Having weights close to my couch would be a distraction. When I'm at the gym- I work out. But, I know what you mean.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I lift alone. Sorta like Dtown, my buddies over the years have tried to hang, but never can. Now that I'm doing Bobo's routine, it takes me longer, so no one wants to lift with me.

I just put on my mp3 player and lift to some hip-hop.

BIGPHILL1984

Awards
  • Established
I train alone most of the time. My friend who comes sometimes always makes excuses for why he isn't as big as me, as strong as me, and why he doesn't go all out. Therefore I am training alone. I don't like partners especially if they aren't on the same level. I go to the gym don't talk to anyone or make much eye contact, lift, do my cardio, and go home.

Erekose

Erekose

Awards
I train alone in the morning before work.

Years ago I had great training partners, my best friend who was a champ. bodybuilder and I used to go in the gym after hours when everyone was gone and just hammer the weights.

No noise. No distractions. No interruptions.

A great training partner can take you further than you can go alone, but most I have found unsatisfactory.

CarryOnTheChaos

Awards
  • Established
finding a training partner when you have slackers for friends like me is like pulling teeth...no dedication or intensity

oh well...theres always hope...

regards,
COTC

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i work out with a partner, but it's more like i'm his trainer. i tell him what to do, how many sets/reps. it's not really that annoying, cuz it's cool to watch him have some success after he was away at college and tried really hard to grow and didn't. he's like my sidekick.

plus he PUSHES ME TO DO MY CARDIO 4 times a week. no kidding, i think he's bringing the whip tomorrow and standing behind me on the elliptical! :whip:
so it's kind of like an even exchange I guess.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
I train both with my 2 sons and alone... teens aren`t always around and I will not skip a WO for anyone!

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
alone, one car garage,power rack,smith machine,vert. leg press. 1200lbs free weights, xm radio,Texas, 95f & 60% humidity today.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Can't you use a power rack? I trained doing a Westside routine for about two months (shoulders went bad and had to stop) and didn't have any problems.

Then again, if you workout at a gym I wouldn't think people would look favorably at a guy using the rack to bench press...

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
maybe powerlifters can use a power rack to bench, but they need someone to help them load on all those damn plates!

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Power rack doesn't work the same as boards, and pin presses suck. Plus you need to be able to take it full range.

Now, suspending a bar from chains is a step up, and is what I would do if I didn't have a group of guys to lift with - it's much better than using pins in a power rack - but still not quite as good.

CrAzyOttER

Banned
Awards
cant stand lifting with anyone! "hey what dose this lift do?", "hey take off your headphones for a min.", "im sore" , " whats a deadlift?" i need peace when if blasting mucic into my head and ripping whight from the floor.

cpa5oh

Awards
  • Established
Power rack doesn't work the same as boards, and pin presses suck. Plus you need to be able to take it full range.

Now, suspending a bar from chains is a step up, and is what I would do if I didn't have a group of guys to lift with - it's much better than using pins in a power rack - but still not quite as good.
See, I can for whatever reason use boards with my power rack (perhaps because I'm not barrell chested.) The boards stay in place fine, and when I fail I just roll the barbell down the boards until it leaves the boards and drops on the pins.

Also, if I'm not using boards and am going for a more full range, I find all I have to do is (on the bench press) deflate my chest to get the weight to fall to the pins...then I just kinda wiggle my way out of there.

Poobah

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I train with my little brother... It's fun.. he does what I tell him to do.. and he's into it now as much as I am. When he was in highschool one of his nick names was "pipes" cause his arms were skinny from one end to the other.. now he ain't looking to bad. (although we both have a long way to go.)

noctorum

Banned
Awards
Does the girlfriend count? I usually go through my workout, then she comes and I help her with hers.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Most of the time I train alone. I workout with a couple of guys from the office every now and then, but they are not very consistent.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Finding a dedicated training parter has been impossible for me. They either "lecture" me with gym myth or can never find the time to come. It's like Ronnie says, "Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weights!"

Watcher

Awards
I've always trained alone ever since I began lifting. I have tried working out with other people and if their goals are not the same as mine it never seems to work out.

DavidJ21

Awards
Alone. I've never met someone who is as dedicated I am to my workouts.

salb3039

Awards
I train with a partner. Just like its been said from a few other people, I tell him what do, sets, etc. I enjoy working out with a partner but relying on people to get there on time is a pain in the ass.

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
Ive just started to train with a mate after training alone for ages. I dont know how long it is going to last though...three weeks in and he has already skipped two work outs this week!
The forced reps and negatives are nice though :D

dmacdbest

Awards
Alone now.. I used to have a dedicated workout partner, but as soon as he got married he quit going to the gym.. then I had another one for a short time, but his g/f didn't like him to go to the gym, when he "should" be with her.. Yes, I too, am like.. WTF??!?!?!

So, I've been going solo.. but, getting the results I want, so it's all good!!

Unclemikejones

Awards
i work out with my roomate, so we are constantly motivating each other .......NICE

nattheoriginal

Awards
i usually train alone, although i wouldnt mind finding a good workout partner for motivation.

wcsav

Awards
I trained alone when I first began.

Now, I rarely train without a partner. Like a couple of guys here, I set the exercises, weight, reps.

My training partner is my best asset in the gym - we have similar goals and know how to push each other to do our best.

wcsav

King Nothing

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
alone, one car garage,power rack,smith machine,vert. leg press. 1200lbs free weights, xm radio,Texas, 95f & 60% humidity today.
Damn, where do you live? There's a house down the street from me with a bunch of equipment in the garage. hmm

toosmall

toosmall

Awards
Always alone. There have been people here at work that say they're gonna get a membership and workout with me.. I tell them, "no your not!" They ask why, and I say, "three reasons: Black Label Society, Pantera, and Metallica"
Although I wouldn't mind a workout partner that had the same goals and drive in the gym as me. Not saying I'm a freak in the gym, but I get in there, don't talk with people, and get out.

MadJimF

MadJimF

Awards
  • Established
I trained with a partner for a while, it was alright, but I can push myself harder and try new things, are do whatever, so I enjoy working out at home, alone, just me and a bunch of heavy weight over my head, real motivation to push it up...

robfromny

Awards
i got a partner.. hes great, so fuckin intense... but thats only when he shows up hahaha

akadnyce

akadnyce

Awards
Actually trained with my twin brother. Doing arm workout, he got thru 2 arm excercises and he was done. He went straight to abs while I continued. That was 2 months ago and to this day, he still walks by me holding his arm.
So right now my training partner is my ipod.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
we go together but have seperate workouts, but do spot each other when needed.

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
I train alone but Mrs jecko comes and works out at the same time usually and provides a spot when she can......I've had buddies from work come out and they usually wind up pissing and moaning for days after for being sore.....so now it's the headphones and me :D

jecko

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I hate workout partners because I can't find a consistent one. If they wanna take the day off, I usually can't go either without messing up the routine. Like Jecko, "it's the headphones and me."

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't have a regular training partner per say but I do have a guy at the gym and we regularlly spot each other on heavy lifts. but on say biceps or shoulders etc we just do our own work-out but I find it helps greatly to have someone you trust spotting you. I am never worried about the bar coming down or not getting spotted at the right time.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I'll take any friends I have with me that are serious and willing to follow my routine and do as I say. They get strong, and I like the experience of helping someone else out.