Low intensity cardio during the day

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
Is there any benefit of doing an hour of low intensity cardio midday? I missed this morning's cardio session and need to know if it would still provide the same benefits if I upped the time to an hour vs. 1/2. Should I just do HIIT instead?

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It will still burn the same number of calories...

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
It will still burn the same number of calories...
yes, but will it be as effective as in a fasted state, or will I simply be using carbs for feul.

BTW, the cardio I'm talking about is either the stationary bike or the treadmill @ 65-75%MHR.

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
The point of cardio is to burn calories. You're thinking about it too much.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
if WILL be effective, however, not AS effective as first thing in the morning or right after your workout ... try to do it about 2 hours after eating

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
or right after your workout ...
So cardio after a workout is more effective than cardio in the middle of a non-workout day? Does cardio after workout have any other downsides as opposed to cardio in a fasted state?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
according to bobo and others that know cardio after a workout is more effective than just doing cardio in the middle of the day ... however you shouldn't go as long .. max 30 minutes after workout at 60-65% of max hr

i usually do it after my workout .. although recently i've started doing cardio on an empty stomach in the morning AND after my workouts .. but i'm 4 weeks out from a show

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Good Luck in the show, btw Glen....

I do the same thing, actually... Moderate / High Intensity Cardio in the a.m. before breakfast 6 days / week and light cardio immediately post workout 4-5 days a week.

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Ok, thats very good to hear actually. Considering the time I leave home in the morning, it would be impossible to squeeze an extra hour of low intensity cardio in. I already have trouble to get into bed early enough to get a good amount of night's rest.

I'm not preparing for a show so there's no real need to have like 10 cardio sessions per week :)

GL with the show, your body at this point is my short-term goal, if I reach that I'll be very happy, but we're never satisfied, are we? :D

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
yes, but will it be as effective as in a fasted state, or will I simply be using carbs for feul.

BTW, the cardio I'm talking about is either the stationary bike or the treadmill @ 65-75%MHR.
Fasted state Low intensity cardio is not as effective as a Midday fed state session. Provided you are eating optimally.

Edit... Glenihans case is an exception. So don't get your panties in a bunch Ok G?

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The difference wont be huge though will it?

Anarchy939

Awards
  • Established
Fasted state Low intensity cardio is not as effective as a Midday fed state session. Provided you are eating optimally.

Edit... Glenihans case is an exception. So don't get your panties in a bunch Ok G?
thanks for the info. I am planning on incorporating more of it into my current routine.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

LO - How about fasted state moderate-high intensity cardio... how does that stack up?

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You should eat carbs around high intsnsity cardio due to the upregulation of glut 4 receptors in muscle cells. When that happens more glucose is shuttled to muscle cells as opposed to fat cells.

I also could never perform a good HIIT session without some form of carbohydrate in me.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Low intensity cardio first thing in the morning is much more effective than anyt mid day session will be.

If the heart rate is kept low, there will be no catabolic activity.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You should eat carbs around high intsnsity cardio due to the upregulation of glut 4 receptors in muscle cells. When that happens more glucose is shuttled to muscle cells as opposed to fat cells.

I also could never perform a good HIIT session without some form of carbohydrate in me.

You should eat carbs because gluconeogenesis increases because high intenstiy is more glycogen dependent than low intensity.

You should have a carb/amino mixture for optimal nutrition.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LO - How about fasted state moderate-high intensity cardio... how does that stack up?
It doesn't stack at all. Its terrible in terms of muscle loss.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Low intensity cardio first thing in the morning is much more effective than any mid day session will be.

If the heart rate is kept low, there will be no catabolic activity.
Does that mean to do it on an empty stomach? If so, I find it hard to believe there is no catabolic activity, low intensity or not.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes on an empty stomach and no it does't cause any catabolic activity.

You can ask any one of my clients.

Contrary to popular belief, upon wakening you are not very catabolic unless you are starving yourself to begin with. Granted you need to have your diet down and can't be following any of these ridiculous diets that limits carb or food intake after 5pm....

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes on an empty stomach and no it does't cause any catabolic activity.

You can ask any one of my clients.

Contrary to popular belief, upon wakening you are not very catabolic unless you are starving yourself to begin with. Granted you need to have your diet down and can't be following any of these ridiculous diets that limits carb or food intake after 5pm....
How empty do you consider empty (time wise since last meal)? And furthermore does it matter then if it is first AM or not if it is indeed empty.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I eat my last meal right before I go to bed, as you should :D

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Contrary to popular belief, upon wakening you are not very catabolic unless you are starving yourself to begin with.
Interesting. I was totally unaware of this.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just because you don't eat for 6-8 hours doens't mean your body all of sudden starts feeding on itself, especially during sleep where your metabolic rate is slowed drastically.

Muscle loss happens in extreme conditions. The term is thrown around too much by people who don't know how to diet.

If you are 4-8% then it becomes a problem but it becomes a problems all day, not just during sleep.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How empty do you consider empty (time wise since last meal)? And furthermore does it matter then if it is first AM or not if it is indeed empty.
Let me clarify the question. If I have not eaten in 3-4 hours and then do cardio, would it not be sufficient empty stomach condition? I plan my meal schedule to allow for empty(ier/iest) stomach LI cardio, but it is midday.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I eat my last meal right before I go to bed, as you should :D
I agree with that. For me, my last meal is my post workout meal though :(

I am done training around 9-9:30. By the time i get home, have my shake and oatmeal it's time for bed.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes but the conditions are different from numorous meals already consumed. You would have less circulating FFA's to be oxidized than you would in the morning or after a workout. It will still be effective but not AS effective.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with that. For me, my last meal is my post workout meal though :(

I am done training around 9-9:30. By the time i get home, have my shake and oatmeal it's time for bed.
Then I would switch to a large meal that coincides with a shake. Whey/Water, large meal.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Then I would switch to a large meal that coincides with a shake. Whey/Water, large meal.
It is a shake :)

But soon that'll be up to you to figure you for me so I ain't sweating it right now :D

lol

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I mean whole food, not liquified.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not answering anymore questions. I'm giving too much away. I got a mortgage to pay damnit!

:D

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm not answering anymore questions. I'm giving too much away. I got a mortgage to pay damnit!

:D
That's fine.

I feel you're generous enough as is with the info.

Now answer my fucking email... please lol

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
sigh

I said please.

I ain't doing sexual favours.

Magickk

Magickk

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot Bobo for clarifying that about the cardio, Bobo... Always a pleasure hearing your input man