step ups for legs. I like em but?

charger

Banned
Awards
I was reading about how some EU countries have there powerlifting teams train legs by doing step ups and never real squats. Now I am not that strong so I only use 185lbs for step ups. It feels great going up. But the coming down part is too fast and can't be good for the knee. Will I get better at the coming down portion? And just how much weight do the power lifters use?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Step ups should be done with a moderate weight, as an assistance exercise, and not done on a super high box. I'd say step up no more than 2 feet tops unless you're super tall. Do a weight you can get 10-15 reps on, and be very strict, don't use your other leg to push off the ground, push yourself up with the elevated foot ONLY. It's not a power movement it's an assistance movement/conditioning movement, so do it for at least 10 reps per leg, preferably more like 20.

charger

Banned
Awards
an article on bodybuilding.com is 180 from what you said. But I agree with you. I'll continue to use them as needed but will keep the weights down in range.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
ExNihilio is a real powerlifter, who the hell knows where that article on BB.com came from, they publish anything!:D

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Some of the russians would work up to very heavy weights, but the truth is that the carryover to the squat is not that great. It may be more beneficial to do them for fewer reps with heavier weights and a higher box for olympic lifting, I don't know, I'm not an olympic lifter. They've been tried, they don't help the squat that much as a main movement, we've moved on.

Also, don't listen to anything the europeans talk about in regards to powerlifting :D they suck at it. It's fairly common for guys in europe to have their suits CUT OFF OF THEM after a meet because they can't get them off any other way :) The russians and poles are notorious for this.

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They are used in EU countries for oly style, we here in America do not use them.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Also, don't listen to anything the europeans talk about in regards to powerlifting :D they suck at it. ....
Took the words right out of my mouth :D

But, they seem to be pretty good and running around with huge logs and rocks and stuff :D

Foster

Awards
Yeah isn't it always the swedes that win those strongman competitions?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Well for the last couple of years it's been a pole :D

Truth is the americans are about as bad as strongman as the europeans are at powerlifting :D