LBM, VAT, SAT - achieving an accurate body-comp assessment

1. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Answers

LBM, VAT, SAT - achieving an accurate body-comp assessment

Above and beyond the shortcomings of any particular measurement system, VAT (visceral adipose tissue - or, belly-fat) throws a monkeywrench into the calculations.

Are there methods of calculating or estimating bodyfat (OTHER THAN buoyancy & impedance scales) that compensate for VAT & don’t require hiring someone to take the measurements for me?

Mods - please move this thread to the proper forum (if this isn't it)!

2. Registered User
    Answers

The problem with VAT is that it's hard to say how much it contributes to any particular person's waist measurement. I would say a combination of skinfold caliper and the navy bodyfat calculation method will give you a decent ballpark number if you average the two out.
  3. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Answers

thanks for that!

I knew there had to be a way of estimating based on measurement, but didn't know how to locate it.

none of the refs I pulled up address this, but it seems to me that one should suck in the gut when taking the abdominal measurement: can you clarify this for me? yes? no?

turns out my computations weren't so wildly off as I feared - nice to know!
    •   

4. Registered User
    Answers

I forcefully exhale by contracting my abs when taking stomach measurements. I don't think you should suck in your gut though, if I did I could probably get waist measurements down to like 36" and that just aint right, no way
  5. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Answers

works out the same for me either way
    ...and either way, I'm still a lard-ass!

But only a shadow of the lard-ass I used to be...
  6. Banned
    Answers

there is a pod system. You sit in a space ship looking pod with underwear on. It then fills full of air and measures the amount of space your body takes up. Then some math and you have a 99% accurate body fat number.

I know that some of the health and fitness centers on Navy bases have this. for all the fat sailors and fat wives. lol At least it was free for me.
  7. Throbbing Member
    Answers

Well if you don't mind paying or your insurance will cover it, there is always a DEXA scan (dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry)... tells you exact bone mass, water mass, muscle mass, and fat mass. Most decent hospital radiology departments have one.. I think it costs $75 to have it done around here.
  8. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Answers

the pod system is one I hadn't heard about - ditto the DEXA scan (no idea if there is one around here, or if I could get a doc to send me for one (once my bro gets outta med school there'll be no probs...).

the home-game version is more what I was looking for - I've been tracking my changes w/ calipers, but I had no way of knowing if it would or could compensate for the big wad o' VAT I picked up being sick for so long.

good to know there's a variety of topmodern options for milestones too: thanks guys!

wonder what else is out there....
  9. Registered User
    Answers

We could kill you, grind you up into a fine paste, and boil the paste to denature your proteins and disrupt membranes then centerfuge out the different portions and measure them. That's get a pretty exact reading
  10. Throbbing Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    We could kill you, grind you up into a fine paste, and boil the paste to denature your proteins and disrupt membranes then centerfuge out the different portions and measure them. That's get a pretty exact reading
    If he comes out to more than 30g protein per scoop, I'll drink him when you're done, thanks
  11. ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday
    ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday's Avatar

Hey guys, how would I find a place to get a DEXA, hydrostatic weighing, or any other type of BF% measuring....very interested in finding as I just doubt my measuring....
  12. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by spitboy
    Originally Posted by ex nihilo:
    If he comes out to more than 30g protein per scoop, I'll drink him when you're done, thanks
    Interesting ideas, guys - is this something you do regularly?
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 6-OXO, no change in body comp
    By Kristopher in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 12:17 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 08:36 PM
  3. Best for body comp?
    By Tbird006 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 02:42 PM