Week off vs light week?

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
I been debating on whether I should take a full week off or just go light for a week. Advice and opinions are appreciated!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Take the week off if you haven't in 10 weeks or so. A deconditioning period will do you some good.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Take the week off if you haven't in 10 weeks or so. A deconditioning period will do you some good.
Yes, it feels great to be able to take a full week off. You'll feel reenergized and hit the gym with a whole new intensity once you get back.

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
My last week off was the week of Februrary 13th. So I've been at it for a good 9 weeks.

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
Take a break, especially if you have been hitting it really heavy. Its been 6 weeks since my last break, but I made the mistake of continually lifting super high intensity >95%1RM like 3 days after a powerlifting meet so I never fully recovered from the meet. I am taking this week off...overtrained pretty bad.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Most elite athletes have "de-loading" periods, it's not really neccesary to take a week off. However, depending on the athlete the deloading period can be anywhere from one week every three loading weeks to one week every six loading weeks.

If you are feeling VERY overtrained I might suggest one week of complete rest, followed by 2-3 weeks of a lighter load, working progressively back up to your previous best. If you aren't feeling that bad (just a bit under the weather) then I would suggest one week of deloading then moving to a 3:1 or 4:1 protocol for loading:deloading.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I always gain a little fat on break weeks (no working out) but it does allow me to get increases in my lifts when they seem stuck otherwise. Give it a try!

One week I tired doing cardio instead of nothing at all, but i lost some muscle and stength, which i wasn't too happy with. While I did lose fat as well, I think I'd rather cut while working out and cruise in the off week. It's better to gain 5 lbs of fat than lose 5 lbs of muscle, IMHO.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
No matter how much I learn about the importance of rest, I still to this day have the "my muscles will shrink if I take a week off" thought in the back of my head. Its something I'll probably never get rid of.

Its also hard for me because I really enjoy going to the gym and training. I kinda dunno what to do with myself when I take a break.

handzilla

Awards
  • Established
I feel ya Die'. I'm slowy learning to get over that. My week off is coming to an end in a couple days. I can't wait to hit it again next week. I'll be starting off light and loading again. Then 3 weeks hard followed by a back off week. Thanks for all the input fellas.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i haven't taken time off in so long!
wow.
every 8 weeks? i thought it would be like every 3 or 4 months.
i make sure i don't overtrain, by taking an extra few days off when i feel it's necessary.
hmm i have to consider taking a week off, maybe it will do me some good.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
i haven't taken time off in so long!
wow.
every 8 weeks? i thought it would be like every 3 or 4 months.
i make sure i don't overtrain, by taking an extra few days off when i feel it's necessary.
hmm i have to consider taking a week off, maybe it will do me some good.
No need man, just take a light week every 3-6 weeks. That'll keep you training without much backsliding, and prevent overtraining and injury.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thanks exnhilo, will do.
it makes sense, and sometimes i feel tired like i should take a light week.