Ahh! My eye! - AnabolicMinds.com

Ahh! My eye!

1. Have you seen my stapler???

Thumbs down Ahh! My eye!

I mean, behind my eye.

I was benching heavy last monday when i felt a "crunch" behind my left eye.
    I had a sharp, isolated pain right above my left eye, almost trailing the top of my eybrow.
    I made it through the weeks workouts okay, but on shoulder day the pain came back.
    I had to take off Sat and Sun b/c of the pain...it felt like a persistent headache, and stress seemed to aggrivate it.
    Mom (a medical professional) thinks it may be a burst vessel behind my eye. No visible damage or redness or swelling, just pain.
    Anyone ever have this phenomenon before?
    Advice is appreciated.

2. Professional Member

Never had that happen but I have had weird pains like that. I once had a headache for a week from doing my last set of squats. It wasn't any fun and needless to say I breathe the correct way now..
  3. Senior Member

It's possible you could have strained a muscle in your neck witch is pinching nerves in your face. A mild upper cervical disc herniation(witch you can get from straining neck muscles while lifting), can reffer pain throughout the head and face.
    •   

4. Have you seen my stapler???

Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    It's possible you could have strained a muscle in your neck witch is pinching nerves in your face. A mild upper cervical disc herniation(witch you can get from straining neck muscles while lifting), can reffer pain throughout the head and face.
    You know, that makes some sense.

I have back today, so hopefully i'll make it through without further aggravating anything.
    If this persists longer than two weeks, or gets worse, or if i am just bored (hehe), I plan on seeing an
    Optometrist .
  5. Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalD
    I mean, behind my eye.

I had a sharp, isolated pain right above my left eye, almost trailing the top of my eybrow.
    I made it through the weeks workouts okay, but on shoulder day the pain came back.
    I had to take off Sat and Sun b/c of the pain...it felt like a persistent headache, and stress seemed to aggrivate it.
    Mom (a medical professional) thinks it may be a burst vessel behind my eye. No visible damage or redness or swelling, just pain.
    Advice is appreciated.
    I have had something similar (somewhat similar I guess). After lifting I began to notice a throbbing pain in my head (very localised, like you describe) that would worsen with changes in blood pressure (ie, going from laying down to standing up). Doc said I had most lkely an inflamed blood vessel somewhere in my head.

Just something to compare your prblem to.
  6. Have you seen my stapler???

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma76
    I have had something similar (somewhat similar I guess). After lifting I began to notice a throbbing pain in my head (very localised, like you describe) that would worsen with changes in blood pressure (ie, going from laying down to standing up). Doc said I had most lkely an inflamed blood vessel somewhere in my head.

Just something to compare your prblem to.
    No, I thank you .

This is what my Mom was thinking. Blood pressure changes DO aggravate my situation. Did it go away, how long did it take, and what changes (if any) did you make in your training while you had the problem?
  7. Senior Member

No, I thank you .

This is what my Mom was thinking. Blood pressure changes DO aggravate my situation. Did it go away, how long did it take, and what changes (if any) did you make in your training while you had the problem?
    Just to confuse you more, I had exacly what Enigma described at the base of my skull. Locallised throbbing pain agravated or brought on by exercise.Sometimes it would radiate across my temples. The pain would throb with my pulse. I thought I had an anyerism.(sp?). Anyway, Cervical herniation was the cause, but it was directly linked to a muscle imbalance in my shoulder girdle.
  8. Have you seen my stapler???

Just to confuse you more, I had exacly what Enigma described at the base of my skull. Locallised throbbing pain agravated or brought on by exercise.Sometimes it would radiate across my temples. The pain would throb with my pulse. I thought I had an anyerism.(sp?). Anyway, Cervical herniation was the cause, but it was directly linked to a muscle imbalance in my shoulder girdle.
    So give me some timeframes if you remeber on how long it was before the pain aleiviated? Did you change up your intensity or just "man-up".
    I take it this was a physician-assisted diagnosis...
  9. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

(witch you

hehe...

AIM strikes again!

For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  10. Board Supporter

Could be a popped blood vessel?
  11. Senior Member

So give me some timeframes if you remeber on how long it was before the pain aleiviated? Did you change up your intensity or just "man-up".
    I take it this was a physician-assisted diagnosis...
    I was working with a physical therapist. The herniation was confirmed with an x-ray a few years earlier. This was a problem that pleagued me for years.Anyway, once we figured it out, all I did was retract my scapulae when doing any upper body movements. It was aleviated almost imediately. Over the following year, I worked on stretching the pecs and strengthening the scapular retractors to correct the imballance. I have been pain free ever since.
  12. Have you seen my stapler???

I was working with a physical therapist. The herniation was confirmed with an x-ray a few years earlier. This was a problem that pleagued me for years.Anyway, once we figured it out, all I did was retract my scapulae when doing any upper body movements. It was aleviated almost imediately. Over the following year, I worked on stretching the pecs and strengthening the scapular retractors to correct the imballance. I have been pain free ever since.
    Thanks. So if this persists I will be seeing the eye doc...or at least a GP.
  13. Professional Member

We have to remember that nerves run throughout are body and depending on which is effected you could have pain in your head or maybe shooting down your leg. Pinching a nerve is no fun but happens a lot. Once that connection is blocked pain or loss of feeling is soon to follow.
  14. Advanced Member

No, I thank you .

It went away eventually, probably like a week later. I was taking anti-inflammatories (I think Aleve, dont remember) in case it was just an inflamed vessel.

If I remember correctly, I took a couple days off from lifting. This mostly was because my uncle is my doc, and he was giving me tons of worst case scenarios (like it being a broken blood vessel), so he told me to take a couple days off from lifting.

To be honest, I wanted nothing to do with lifting when this happened. The pain never moved from that one spot, but I remember waking up in the mornings and just sitting still in bed, dreading getting up because I knew I was going to have to sit down immediately from the pain. It went on like that for a week. I would have to make a progression from laying down to sitting to standing, giving my head time to stop throbbing. To describe the pain, it was like a throbbing sharp ache very localised on my head, hurting to the rythm of my pulse.
  15. Have you seen my stapler???

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma76
    It went away eventually, probably like a week later. I was taking anti-inflammatories (I think Aleve, dont remember) in case it was just an inflamed vessel.

If I remember correctly, I took a couple days off from lifting. This mostly was because my uncle is my doc, and he was giving me tons of worst case scenarios (like it being a broken blood vessel), so he told me to take a couple days off from lifting.

To be honest, I wanted nothing to do with lifting when this happened. The pain never moved from that one spot, but I remember waking up in the mornings and just sitting still in bed, dreading getting up because I knew I was going to have to sit down immediately from the pain. It went on like that for a week. I would have to make a progression from laying down to sitting to standing, giving my head time to stop throbbing. To describe the pain, it was like a throbbing sharp ache very localised on my head, hurting to the rythm of my pulse.
    Wow, i feel very similar. Pain location never changes...never gets better or worse ofr flames up. It is constant. I took 3 days off from lifting, but I HAVE to go in an hit back today.
    I have been on about 4 325mg aspirins per day, but they are starting to bother my stomach. Maybe I'll snag an NSAID (like Aleve) and see how that works.
    Also, My left eye seems to want to shut (but it doesn't), almost like it is more sensitive to light.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

I mean, behind my eye.

Advice is appreciated.
    had this in high school. started when i did a max set of pullups in gym class and got worse whenever i pushed myself in the weightroom, even blacked out one time from the pain. only type of workout i could do that didn't aggrevate it was high weight/low rep workouts. and i'm talking 2-3 reps here of heavy ass weight. after a couple months, it subsided and i started adding back the reps slowly. i suspect it was a neck problem, but whatever it was i haven't had it since.
  17. New Member

I think you would want an ophthalmologist not an optometrist. But a GP would refer you anyway.
  18. Have you seen my stapler???

Quote Originally Posted by lvtrojan
    I think you would want an ophthalmologist not an optometrist. But a GP would refer you anyway.
    Whoever could dialate my eyes should be able to tell if it's a blood vessel.
  19. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

LO - that's weird. I had the same thing happen last week while I was doing a 2nd set of Smith machine front squats. The pain started in the back of my neck/head, then radiated to the rest of my head.

The next time I went to lift was Bobo's chest day. It came back when I was doing a warm-up set of benches. I left then, took some Aleve. I felt better that night, so I went back and finished my workout. I also went yesterday for back w/ only getting a slight headache. It was so weird.

20. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmh80
    LO - that's weird. I had the same`thing happen last week while I was doing a 2nd set of Smith machine front squats. The pain started in the back of my neck/head, then radiated to the rest of my head.

The next time I went to lift was Bobo's chest day. It came back when I was doing a warm-up set of benches. I left then, took some Aleve. I felt better that night, so I went back and finished my workout. I also went yesterday for back w/ only getting a slight headache. It was so weird.
    Well, the thing with me was because of the imballance coupled with the herniation in my neck, anything that involved protraction of the shoulders ussually set me up for problems. Preacher curls were a big one. Also, Benching was another because at the time, I diddn't know to keep my shoulderblades retracted. I had a tendancy to protract at the top of the movement. What would happen is that the straining with heavy weights and the pull on my shoulders traps and neck would all pull on the vertebra and pinch the nerves. It still amazes me how I lived with it for like ten years and it was aleviated almost instantly once I realised what the problem was.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. dimethylamine/Jack3d makes my eyes dry
    By GregW in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 08:38 PM
  2. Stupid me, TD formestane in my eye...
    By Zero V in forum Supplements
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 06-21-2009, 12:22 PM
  3. "My daddy ate my eyes"
    By dynomite in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-24-2009, 12:09 PM
  4. I am not crying, I just got something in my Eye
    By diminuendo in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-06-2006, 06:58 PM
  5. AHH, my rotator cuff!