cannonball delts

BLANE

Awards
  • Established
what exercises do yall think hit the side delts the best? do yall use more than one side movement during shoulder routines, im just having some trouble getting my delts big. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Personally I stick with pressing movements for shoulders. Can't go wrong there.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
My shoulders have ALWAYS grew like a weed when doing Standing Overhead Presses as the staple exercise.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Slow and controlled Arnolds have always done me well, and when I switch it up I just go to a military press with a bb or db.

charger

Banned
Awards
I like heavy dumbell presses and side laterals 8 reps but the twist is to hold for an 8 count. I then follow up with front laterals and pump the delts up.

coofoostu

Awards
My shoulders have ALWAYS grew like a weed when doing Standing Overhead Presses as the staple exercise.
Same, Standing overhead press is the only thing that has ever done anything for my delts.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
arnolds did me VERY WELL.. i have been blessed with outstanding shoulder developent (unfortunately horrible upper chest and bicep development) and everything seems to make them grow but arnolds seemed to work them the best.

xtdot

xtdot

Awards
I use seated DB press and BB military press, the trick is to go balls out heavy for 4-8 reps @ 4 sets a piece...NOTE:STRETCHING BEFORE AND DURING IS KEY

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
for me, switching up is a key. Doing 1-2 heavy basics, then a variety of other stuff, always changing things around. might even try some one arm d-bell presses, standing 1 arm d-bells. Arnolds are good, throw some cables in (more for shape than overall size, though.) And most of all, stay INTENSE!

xtdot

xtdot

Awards
Intensity

for me, switching up is a key. Doing 1-2 heavy basics, then a variety of other stuff, always changing things around. might even try some one arm d-bell presses, standing 1 arm d-bells. Arnolds are good, throw some cables in (more for shape than overall size, though.) And most of all, stay INTENSE!
I agree, however you hit it right on the head when you say stay INTENSE! Alot a people don't understand that there is more to liftin' iron than just pushing and pulling. I see some guys at my gym who complains that they can't get any result and they have to use gear. But these these are the guys who will have a conversation with there buddies while doing a set. No concentration, No Intensity...............

TBigs

Awards
Another vote for slow, controlled Arnolds.

Also a key is to not overtrain the shoulders. Many people think they need to train their shoulders in the same volume they train their chest or back. This is not the case.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Slow and controlled Arnolds have always done me well, and when I switch it up I just go to a military press with a bb or db.
I second that - Arnolds all the way. I like them better than standard presses because you're getting a complete range of motion, they are working the rotator cuff muscles as well, and you inevitably have to use less weight to get the same or better results - which makes them easier on the shoulder joint.

Another vote for slow, controlled Arnolds.
Also a key is to not overtrain the shoulders. Many people think they need to train their shoulders in the same volume they train their chest or back. This is not the case.
Definitely. Im cursed with pain-in-the-ass shoulders. They grow fine, but as soon as I start pushing them too hard they start to get impinged. WHICH SUCKS. I need some ART action eventually.

The routine that Im using right now has given me the best results for my delts:

Clean and Presses 10,8,6
Arnold Presses 12,10,8
Lateral Raises 12,10,8
Reverse Pec Deck 12,10,8

BV

xtdot

xtdot

Awards
I must confess. I have been pushing iron for almost 13 yrs and I have never done Arnolds shoulder press. But after getting suuch reviews I will definetly incorporate them into my routine. Another thing I've never tried is any type of gear..........Sure I use creatine and NO2 but nothing else. 13yrs ago I started at 198lbs. w/ 32 waist @5'11". Today I'm 245lbs w/34 waist. Alot of people who haven't seen me for years thinks I'm on gear but there's no GIAMBI here.

diplomats

Awards
  • Established
every seen the jaycutler videos? well i do his shoulder routine and it has helped me add 2 inches to my shoulder since. here is what it looks like

pre-exhaust
One arm cable lateral 2 sets 8-10 reps
side laterals 3 sets 8-10 reps
mass building
dumbell and barbell press 3 sets 8-10 reps
front-raise 3 sets 8-10 reps
bent-over laterals 3 sets 8-10 reps

NOTE: when you are doing your presses do not lock your shoulders when your raise the weight overhead. Locking your elbows removes stress from the shoulders and U dont want that, you want to keep the shoulders stressed at all times.

try this out for about three months and you should be on your way to having a cannon ball delt.

also do not underestimate the bent over lateral for your rear delts because the are just as important. They make the shoulders look evern rounder, trust me!

J563

Awards
Today I'm 245lbs w/34 waist. Alot of people who haven't seen me for years thinks I'm on gear but there's no GIAMBI here.
Hey man leave my boy Giambi alone...Ya Big Ass Jamaican! :p
Bout time you made it on here!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know how many people I see overtrain delts. The simply are not that big of a muscle group and get so much indirect work from Chest and Back that anymore than 8 sets directly per week is overtraining IMO. I never go over 8 sets per week and I seem to be doing just fine. I also only do Arnolds and sometime lateral raises just because I get bored of Arnolds sometimes.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
every seen the jaycutler videos? well i do his shoulder routine and it has helped me add 2 inches to my shoulder since. here is what it looks like

pre-exhaust
One arm cable lateral 2 sets 8-10 reps
side laterals 3 sets 8-10 reps
mass building
dumbell and barbell press 3 sets 8-10 reps
front-raise 3 sets 8-10 reps
bent-over laterals 3 sets 8-10 reps

NOTE: when you are doing your presses do not lock your shoulders when your raise the weight overhead. Locking your elbows removes stress from the shoulders and U dont want that, you want to keep the shoulders stressed at all times.

try this out for about three months and you should be on your way to having a cannon ball delt.

also do not underestimate the bent over lateral for your rear delts because the are just as important. They make the shoulders look evern rounder, trust me!

WAY to many sets. Cutler doesn't even do that much volume work anymore and there is a reason. You overtrain very easy even taking 2-3g of gear per week.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I don't know how many people I see overtrain delts. The simply are not that big of a muscle group and get so much indirect work from Chest and Back that anymore than 8 sets directly per week is overtraining IMO. I never go over 8 sets per week and I seem to be doing just fine. I also only do Arnolds and sometime lateral raises just because I get bored of Arnolds sometimes.
Yep, I do well with about, well like you said, 8 sets per week. Right now I'm alternating between DB presses, Smith Machine Presses and Hammer Presses. Mind you I'm doing DC. I think once I plateau on DB presses I might throw in Arnold Presses. They're nice for a change.

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
max effort increasing 3x3s on overheads(with proper warm up sets)

and dont forget about The IRON CROSS'
those will blow your delts up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You just gotta watch it with those heavy overhead presses. It's a lot of stress on the shoulder joint. I think it has a lot to do with genetics, muscle insertion points, leverage, etc. If you're prone to it though (I am), they'll set you on a path straight to impingement syndrome.

BV

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You just gotta watch it with those heavy overhead presses. It's a lot of stress on the shoulder joint. I think it has a lot to do with genetics, muscle insertion points, leverage, etc. If you're prone to it though (I am), they'll set you on a path straight to impingement syndrome.

BV
Exactly. I never use heavy weight with shoulder exercises.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
arnolds did me VERY WELL.. i have been blessed with outstanding shoulder developent (unfortunately horrible upper chest and bicep development) and everything seems to make them grow but arnolds seemed to work them the best.
Same here my shoulders grow well but maybe it just looks like that because my bis and upper chest are so small. :lol:

CROWLER

kelsey

Awards
  • Established
i do mostly reverse grip or palms facing(machine)
that helps with preventing impingement for me anyway

xtdot

xtdot

Awards
What about Lats? Does anyone have 4 exercise that you feel really blows up your lats. Maybe there is a certain order in which you do em that you feel blows em up. let me know. I just want to try something different.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
What about Lats? Does anyone have 4 exercise that you feel really blows up your lats. Maybe there is a certain order in which you do em that you feel blows em up. let me know. I just want to try something different.
wide grip chins with slow, deliberate movement. Focus on feeling the strength of the lats working. Follow with 10-12 "X-reps" (Ironman mag stuff) for extra work and burn.

Bent rows or T-bar rows in the same style,

Seated cable rows.

Next back day do 1 or 2 of those, but mix in some 1 arm d-bell rows and some pullovers or stiff arm pulldowns.

Get lots of sleep.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
In no particular order:
1. Wide grip Pulldowns
2. Wide grip Pull-Ups
3. Barbell, DB, and T-Bar rows.
4. And my new favorite, Rack Chins.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Heavy deadlifts supersetted with widegrip chins.

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
BV

I think 4-5 sets into that superset I might see some unwanted return of lunch!! Anytime I do heavy squats/deads and superset with another large muscle group I can get dizzy or see tracers! AyAYAAAA...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is becuase you are taxing more your CNS and tapping into the Kreb cycle than actually exhausting muscle fibers.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I think 4-5 sets into that superset I might see some unwanted return of lunch!! Anytime I do heavy squats/deads and superset with another large muscle group I can get dizzy or see tracers! AyAYAAAA...
Well, if you're going for high-reps on the deads you wouldnt want to superset them with anything, that's for sure...

And I guess its not so much of a superset as it is an alternating set...Ill take a ~90 second break inbetween each set of deads and chins. It works out really well - I usually need about 3 minutes or so inbetween each set of deads anyway, so rather than sit around Ill head over to the chin up bar.

BV

motiv8er

motiv8er

Awards
  • Established
Just trying to keep pct in check men! I knew my pct was over when I saw her, WISH she was mine...

Bobo, I often work out with 30-40 minutes only during lunch so I shoot for max intensity. What can I do to hit as many large muscle groups as possible and not "blow up" my CNS?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just trying to keep pct in check men! I knew my pct was over when I saw her, WISH she was mine...

Bobo, I often work out with 30-40 minutes only during lunch so I shoot for max intensity. What can I do to hit as many large muscle groups as possible and not "blow up" my CNS?
Work only one muscle group per session and increase rep time (this will cause you to lower the weight used).