Advice for home gym

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Since George Bush was nice enough to refund some of my tax money, I decided to spend the cash updating my home gym. Right now I have one of those universal weight machines(not enough weight), a set of dumbbells(powerblocks - 85 lb each), and a bench. I was thinking of getting a power rack to replace the machine, but then started lookkng at Smith machines and other home gym systems. It was all kind of staggering after a while.

My situation is that I work out alone 98% of the time, so no spotter. I have been doing almost all dumbbell exercises since I can go pretty heavy with some level of safety. I would like to be able to squat, deadlift, and bench with a barbell. Dumbbell squats are weak! However, I like having the low cable for seated rows, curls, leg extensions, etc. I did see some power racks with a cable system for a lat bar/low pulley.

I was just curious if anyone had any preferences or experiences with equipment that worked well for them in the home. I have a pretty big area to put it in, and I have some cash to spend. Any feedback would be great.

wirednut

Awards
I was just curious if anyone had any preferences or experiences with equipment that worked well for them in the home. I have a pretty big area to put it in, and I have some cash to spend. Any feedback would be great.
I really enjoy working out at home and I have to be careful which pieces I get due to space limitations. Of course the gyms have so much more equipment available, I have to do the best I can with what I have.
I have the Powerblocks and am extremely happy with them. I have a number of bars and free weights. For me the largest factors in my decision was safety and being able to do squats, so I wound up with a smith machine. I had purchased a bench press type bench that had adjustable uprights and safety pins but i hated it. It was a major pain to load/unload the bar with plates as it would become unbalanced and want to tip side to side. It wouldn't go high enough to get the bar on top of my shoulders to do squats and standing calf raises. My smith came with a lat attachment with high and low pulleys. This adds a lot of additional exercises. It has a plate holder on the rear on one side and a dip attachment on the other side. It had a metal plate that went across the floor to give the smith support from the bottom but I found it was always in the way and took it out a long time ago and have never had a problem.
With the smith, regardless of which lift the bar can be twisted to put the stops on. It doesn't go to absolute floor level for deadlifts but I believe I have read that going all the way to floor isn't neccessary. The smith I have has nylon bushings and I would recommend looking at one that has ball bearings for smoother operation.
Good luck and have fun spending the coin.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Haven't examined it, but I noticed the other day that Costco has Smith machines (w/ the Nautilus name on) for USD500 - they were 700 just a couple of weeks before.

wirednut

Awards
Haven't examined it, but I noticed the other day that Costco has Smith machines (w/ the Nautilus name on) for USD500 - they were 700 just a couple of weeks before.
I saw that but first impression I was not. Maybe it was due to it being a floor model or questionable install. The bearings for the bar up/down didn't seem real smooth. It was aggressively priced. I got a body solid floor model with lat and dips for $650 or so if I recall correctly. I live in the Chicago area and there is a lot of competition.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
A power cage is a good bet. You've already got a bench to use with it, and the safety bars allow you to squat with a good degree of safety. Just set them at the right height and you'll be fine.

Homerjay

Awards
I got a cage about a year ago and love it. It's got the high and low pully. I have never used a smith machine but i didn't like the idea of being stuck to the range of motion that they proivide.

sourinthemind

Awards
Hey, there is this cool new way to do it..you can "rent" about $100,000 worth of equipment for about $40/month...it's called a gym membership. Try it, it has worked for me for years. He he he....just kidding, i can't resist a good joke.

Seriously, just don't get a bowflex...rippoff. Or anything else that you have to order over the T.V. Most of the stuff I like is really more suited for a traditional gym. Might be a bit big.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Most of the stuff I like is really more suited for a traditional gym. Might be a bit big.[/QUOTE]
I am hoping to get something a bit big, maybe feed my ego a little :D

Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning towards the power rack w/lat combo. Seems like I get the best bang for the buck this way. I want something that will go heavy. I checked out the powertec link, had a good rack for like $700:

I'm going to keep looking around, so feel free to shoot me suggestions.
Is it just me, or is there something funny about the line 'had a good rack'??? :think:

charliewat

Awards
I have a Powertec Workbench and I can do almost everything. I got a curl bar but I wish I had a 5 ft. olympic bar instead to do curls and upright rows.

speakle

DONT F$*# WITH MY NUTS!
Awards
If you have an academy sports nearby or somethign similar there is a power cage there that is pretty nice. Hi/lo pulleys and lat tower. It was under $300. I have the same problems with working out at home and wanted to get the powercage but other things have tied up the cash.

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Hey Speakle wassup, I tried to get into touch with you at NP, but you haven't been around man...wassup!

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
I also have a set of powerblocks and combined with a squat rack/power cage/whatchacallit and 7ft oly bar and plates can safely and effectively workout at home. I am also building a 45 degree hyperextension bench (for the missus's ass ;) ) and am thinking about a chest supported row. Love working out when I feel like it, no more gym hassels. Workout without a shirt on, freshly made PWO shake 60 seconds away...:D

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Love working out when I feel like it, no more gym hassels. Workout without a shirt on, freshly made PWO shake 60 seconds away...:D
I hear ya, the time thing is the biggest factor for me. The closest gym is like 20 minutes from my house. Not a big deal until you factor in time to get ready, get in, work out, get showered, and get home or to work. Like you said, now I can operate on my own schedule and listen to my own music. :thumbsup: My diet alone has benefitted immensely just from the pre- and post-workout nutrition.

Thanks for all the replies so far, and keep them coming. I still haven't made a definite decision, so all opinions are welcome. I know I can find the equipment I need, just looking for suggestions.

speakle

DONT F$*# WITH MY NUTS!
Awards
Hey Speakle wassup, I tried to get into touch with you at NP, but you haven't been around man...wassup!
I havent been over there in a while. Now that I am under bobos wing I have been spending more time here, I have always been primarily over at BN. I am loving this board more and more though. I am running very late on those plans for making the dip/pullup ab station but havent forgot about it. I thought a few days ago about and said damn, maniak is gonna wonder what the hell ever happened to that. Always feel free to drop me an email.

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

cool bro, just PM me an address! Please post here and at NP how your training with BOBO goes!