Do not bench press alone

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Poor guy, sounds like he didn't have a chance. I'll do incline alone, but if I do flat alone I leave the clips off the ends of the bb so that I can tilt the bar and let the plates fall off in case I get stuck. I won't even attempt decline bb alone.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
That does suck...but, I wouldn't say don't bench alone...I'd say bench in a power rack and use the safety pins if you're by yourself! That simple...you can set them up to a height (usually) where if you deflate your lungs, you can set the barbell down and scoot out...
Or use DB's.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I go to a gym in little town, where not too many people workout and I have 24/7 access, how many times I benched without anyone in gym... I gotta change my routine now.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Hey, since we're on the topic of no spotters, has anyone ever used power hooks before?
I'm thinking about buying some because lifting heavy DB's can be a bitch especially when you're rest pausing with them.

http://www.powerhooks.com/pages/859209/index.htm

EDIT: **** it, I bought a pair anyways.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Damn shame but these kinds of things happen. It was his time to go. I feel for his sons that had to find him.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats very sad. I live in a small town too but don't have gym access 24/7, that would be nice. I lift alone but always ask for a spot when I need one. Otherwise I'll do an alternate exercise that doesn't require one.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I made some homemade ones. Added lots of #'s to my presses.
Badass. I had been contemplating buying these for a while now. Then I realized that if I wanted to keep increasing weights using dumbbells (especially since I RP with them) that it was necessary to go ahead and buy these. I just waste too much energy lifting the heavy db's up to my knees and from my knees to my chest or shoulders.

nodgodbod

Awards
Bump for the power-rack - saved my skin many a time that I got too ambitious with the iron - for bench aswell as squat

rjones

Awards
This story is really sad and it is worse for me, because my cousins are best friends with one of his sons. They have known him since they were little kids. They all think he had a heart attack though and the weights aren't what killed him.