Working out when sick: Good or Bad? - AnabolicMinds.com

Working out when sick: Good or Bad?

  1. New Member
    [fiorentino]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    134

    Working out when sick: Good or Bad?


    Whenever I am hungover or sick, I always look to working out as my cure- for it rejuvinates me mentally and physically. The bloodpump, the rush, and the physically acitivity always make me feel great.

    But, being currently sick from spring break, is working out bad for me? I ask this because I know working out and lifting depletes the body of its nutrients and energy, which sounds especially bad when one's ammune system is down.

    Any ideas or comments on this would be great, thanks.

  2. Diamond Member
    T-Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15,799
    Answers
    20
    Rep Power
    4270476

    Quote Originally Posted by [fiorentino]
    Whenever I am hungover or sick, I always look to working out as my cure- for it rejuvinates me mentally and physically. The bloodpump, the rush, and the physically acitivity always make me feel great.

    But, being currently sick from spring break, is working out bad for me? I ask this because I know working out and lifting depletes the body of its nutrients and energy, which sounds especially bad when one's ammune system is down.

    Any ideas or comments on this would be great, thanks.
    I am getting over a cold and I am still have the cough since the start of the full blown symptoms which was March 7th. I went back to the gym too early even though I knew it was a mistake. I'm just stubborn though. I finally went to the doctor and got treated. Anyway heres a link that explains things. You SHOULD NOT workout while you are sick!

    http://www.grow-muscle-now.com/newsline05.html
  3. Senior Member
    natedogg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,414
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    1335

    Yeah not only is working out while you're sick a bad thing, but you have to think of others as well. If some jerkoff is sick and spreading germs all over the gym equipment guess who he just infected...
    •   
       

  4. Banned
    jkaz182003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    43
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    maybe its not the smartest thing to work out when you are sick, but it seems to make me feel better when i am done
  5. board observer
    Moyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Age
    31
    Posts
    879
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    572

    What if you have a 24hr stomach flu? Should you train the next day or wait a week?

    Assuming diet is correct, how long can you go w/out working out before you'll start to lose gains?
  6. Senior Member
    natedogg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,414
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    1335

    Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    What if you have a 24hr stomach flu? Should you train the next day or wait a week?

    Assuming diet is correct, how long can you go w/out working out before you'll start to lose gains?
    I would definately take a few days off to recover completely. Don't worry about losing gains, you have your whole life to catch up. Besides, a couple of days off will be good for you.
  7. Registered User
    BOHICA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,196
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    720

    I always go with the saying. Above the neck good to go, anything below is a no no. Like if I have head cold, hungover, or something like that I will workout. If its a horrible cough, sinus infection, or stomach bug, I will take a couple days off.
  8. Advanced Member
    jjjd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    703
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    997

    i think bohica's advice is excellent. (it's what i was going to say)

    seriously, though...

    working out does not mean "working out at 100%"

    i would NOT go for PR's when one is sick

    i would not work out at either 100% intensity or 100% volume when one is sick

    but a workout at about 50-70% of normal can actually be BENEFICIAL for the sick person. raising internal temperature can HELP. that's part of the reason WHY people get feverish in the first place

    if one has a HIT mentality, that one has to work to failure and improve every workout - don't do that when sick

    getting the joints moving, doing some reasonable strength work, etc. otoh can be beneficial, mentally and physically
  9. Senior Member
    natedogg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,414
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    1335

    Quote Originally Posted by jjjd
    i think bohica's advice is excellent. (it's what i was going to say)

    seriously, though...

    working out does not mean "working out at 100%"

    i would NOT go for PR's when one is sick

    i would not work out at either 100% intensity or 100% volume when one is sick

    but a workout at about 50-70% of normal can actually be BENEFICIAL for the sick person. raising internal temperature can HELP. that's part of the reason WHY people get feverish in the first place

    if one has a HIT mentality, that one has to work to failure and improve every workout - don't do that when sick

    getting the joints moving, doing some reasonable strength work, etc. otoh can be beneficial, mentally and physically
    That's fine and dandy, but I'm gonna be pissed if some jerk is infecting me with his germs because he couldn't stay out of the gym an extra day.
  10. ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday
    Guest
    ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday's Avatar

    Take the few days off....I am sick now but I won't go knowing my workout will feel like **** when I feel like **** getting out of bed! Remember you are in this for the long haul and the health, the great body is just a great extra! Plus I hate when dickheads are in the gym coughing up a storm on equipment I am just about to use!
  11. Senior Member
    natedogg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,414
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    1335

    Quote Originally Posted by MaNiaK1027
    Take the few days off....I am sick now but I won't go knowing my workout will feel like **** when I feel like **** getting out of bed! Remember you are in this for the long haul and the health, the great body is just a great extra! Plus I hate when dickheads are in the gym coughing up a storm on equipment I am just about to use!
    I hear ya.
  12. Advanced Member
    jjjd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    703
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    997

    of course, being sick =/= being sick and contagious/hacking, etc.

    i readily agree that in the latter case, if one is in THAT state, one should not workout (in a public gym at least)

    people who do so are inconsiderate imo
  13. New Member
    [fiorentino]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    134

    Quote Originally Posted by jjjd
    of course, being sick =/= being sick and contagious/hacking, etc.

    i readily agree that in the latter case, if one is in THAT state, one should not workout (in a public gym at least)

    people who do so are inconsiderate imo
    I'd agree..whether a light work out may benefit one when sick or not, going to a public gym is inconsiderate.

    personally, I'll probably stick to my old pititful personal dumbbell set while Im feeling under the weather.

    But on the main idea --"whether a light workout when sick is good for you or not", I'm still undecided
  14. New Member
    [fiorentino]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    134

    Heres a good article advising against any workouts due to the stress on the immune system, from webmd.com

    Click here

    or
    http://my.webmd.com/content/article/12/1685_52519.htm
  15. New Member
    Lone Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    117

    Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    Yeah not only is working out while you're sick a bad thing, but you have to think of others as well. If some jerkoff is sick and spreading germs all over the gym equipment guess who he just infected...
    Damn f'n straight.

    And let me just say bro, nice avatar.
  16. New Member
    iwinulose2981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    78
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    156

    Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA
    I always go with the saying. Above the neck good to go, anything below is a no no. Like if I have head cold, hungover, or something like that I will workout. If its a horrible cough, sinus infection, or stomach bug, I will take a couple days off.
    but being hungover is due to dehydration is it really smart to further dehydrate yourself in the gym? when im hungover i never go to the gym. i understand that when at the gym your constantly intaking fluids but your also burning off fluids that were never there to begin with.
  17. Registered User
    BOHICA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,196
    Answers
    0
    Rep Power
    720

    Quote Originally Posted by iwinulose2981
    but being hungover is due to dehydration is it really smart to further dehydrate yourself in the gym? when im hungover i never go to the gym. i understand that when at the gym your constantly intaking fluids but your also burning off fluids that were never there to begin with.
    But it also gets my body back to feeling better. I don't go in and give it a full bore workout, but just something to sweat out the toxins in my body from the alcohol. It also lets me that day since I normally have no appetite while being hungover.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 07:44 PM
  2. BigCasino's Workout - Good or Bad for size?
    By BigCasino in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 07:08 PM
  3. good or bad diet for m1t cycle?
    By DumbRussian in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 01:07 PM
  4. UCP1 pre-contest. Good or bad idea?
    By FullyBuilt in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-09-2003, 08:06 AM
  5. Cortisol: Good or Bad?
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 07:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in