Working out when sick: Good or Bad?

[fiorentino]

Awards
Whenever I am hungover or sick, I always look to working out as my cure- for it rejuvinates me mentally and physically. The bloodpump, the rush, and the physically acitivity always make me feel great.

But, being currently sick from spring break, is working out bad for me? I ask this because I know working out and lifting depletes the body of its nutrients and energy, which sounds especially bad when one's ammune system is down.

Any ideas or comments on this would be great, thanks.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whenever I am hungover or sick, I always look to working out as my cure- for it rejuvinates me mentally and physically. The bloodpump, the rush, and the physically acitivity always make me feel great.

But, being currently sick from spring break, is working out bad for me? I ask this because I know working out and lifting depletes the body of its nutrients and energy, which sounds especially bad when one's ammune system is down.

Any ideas or comments on this would be great, thanks.
I am getting over a cold and I am still have the cough since the start of the full blown symptoms which was March 7th. I went back to the gym too early even though I knew it was a mistake. I'm just stubborn though. I finally went to the doctor and got treated. Anyway heres a link that explains things. You SHOULD NOT workout while you are sick!

http://www.grow-muscle-now.com/newsline05.html

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Yeah not only is working out while you're sick a bad thing, but you have to think of others as well. If some jerkoff is sick and spreading germs all over the gym equipment guess who he just infected...

jkaz182003

Banned
Awards
maybe its not the smartest thing to work out when you are sick, but it seems to make me feel better when i am done

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
What if you have a 24hr stomach flu? Should you train the next day or wait a week?

Assuming diet is correct, how long can you go w/out working out before you'll start to lose gains?

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
What if you have a 24hr stomach flu? Should you train the next day or wait a week?

Assuming diet is correct, how long can you go w/out working out before you'll start to lose gains?
I would definately take a few days off to recover completely. Don't worry about losing gains, you have your whole life to catch up. Besides, a couple of days off will be good for you.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I always go with the saying. Above the neck good to go, anything below is a no no. Like if I have head cold, hungover, or something like that I will workout. If its a horrible cough, sinus infection, or stomach bug, I will take a couple days off.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
i think bohica's advice is excellent. (it's what i was going to say) :)

seriously, though...

working out does not mean "working out at 100%"

i would NOT go for PR's when one is sick

i would not work out at either 100% intensity or 100% volume when one is sick

but a workout at about 50-70% of normal can actually be BENEFICIAL for the sick person. raising internal temperature can HELP. that's part of the reason WHY people get feverish in the first place

if one has a HIT mentality, that one has to work to failure and improve every workout - don't do that when sick

getting the joints moving, doing some reasonable strength work, etc. otoh can be beneficial, mentally and physically

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
i think bohica's advice is excellent. (it's what i was going to say) :)

seriously, though...

working out does not mean "working out at 100%"

i would NOT go for PR's when one is sick

i would not work out at either 100% intensity or 100% volume when one is sick

but a workout at about 50-70% of normal can actually be BENEFICIAL for the sick person. raising internal temperature can HELP. that's part of the reason WHY people get feverish in the first place

if one has a HIT mentality, that one has to work to failure and improve every workout - don't do that when sick

getting the joints moving, doing some reasonable strength work, etc. otoh can be beneficial, mentally and physically
That's fine and dandy, but I'm gonna be pissed if some jerk is infecting me with his germs because he couldn't stay out of the gym an extra day.

ItriedtoripoffBobosonowIamgonehaveaniceday

Take the few days off....I am sick now but I won't go knowing my workout will feel like **** when I feel like **** getting out of bed! Remember you are in this for the long haul and the health, the great body is just a great extra! Plus I hate when dickheads are in the gym coughing up a storm on equipment I am just about to use!

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Take the few days off....I am sick now but I won't go knowing my workout will feel like **** when I feel like **** getting out of bed! Remember you are in this for the long haul and the health, the great body is just a great extra! Plus I hate when dickheads are in the gym coughing up a storm on equipment I am just about to use!
I hear ya.

jjjd

Awards
  • Established
of course, being sick =/= being sick and contagious/hacking, etc.

i readily agree that in the latter case, if one is in THAT state, one should not workout (in a public gym at least)

people who do so are inconsiderate imo

[fiorentino]

Awards
of course, being sick =/= being sick and contagious/hacking, etc.

i readily agree that in the latter case, if one is in THAT state, one should not workout (in a public gym at least)

people who do so are inconsiderate imo
I'd agree..whether a light work out may benefit one when sick or not, going to a public gym is inconsiderate.

personally, I'll probably stick to my old pititful personal dumbbell set while Im feeling under the weather.

But on the main idea --"whether a light workout when sick is good for you or not", I'm still undecided

Lone Wolf

Awards
Yeah not only is working out while you're sick a bad thing, but you have to think of others as well. If some jerkoff is sick and spreading germs all over the gym equipment guess who he just infected...
Damn f'n straight.

And let me just say bro, nice avatar.

iwinulose2981

Awards
I always go with the saying. Above the neck good to go, anything below is a no no. Like if I have head cold, hungover, or something like that I will workout. If its a horrible cough, sinus infection, or stomach bug, I will take a couple days off.
but being hungover is due to dehydration is it really smart to further dehydrate yourself in the gym? when im hungover i never go to the gym. i understand that when at the gym your constantly intaking fluids but your also burning off fluids that were never there to begin with.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
but being hungover is due to dehydration is it really smart to further dehydrate yourself in the gym? when im hungover i never go to the gym. i understand that when at the gym your constantly intaking fluids but your also burning off fluids that were never there to begin with.
But it also gets my body back to feeling better. I don't go in and give it a full bore workout, but just something to sweat out the toxins in my body from the alcohol. It also lets me that day since I normally have no appetite while being hungover.