Lost Exercise: Clean and Press

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Gah I'm in C&P withdrawal. Over 5 weeks since my broken finger, and I don't think I'll be ready to do these for 3-4 weeks min judging by how I feel. I really did like them, they hit the entire posterior chain and did some decent delt work. My favourite was the rep-pause-rep method.

2. Ouch - broken fingers are more of a pain than people realize - I had to have a pin in mine when I broke one.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by AllMaxBrian View Post
    I love the clean and press. Sometimes I'll do the clean and press and then drop down into a squat - you can really feel the burn on that one.
    These are THE BEST!!!

When I was playing Div 1A football 5 years ago they had us do a power clean from the floor. Then explode up into a shoulder press, control the weight down to the top of your chest, then drop into a parallel front squat. We use to do 4 sets of 8-10 reps depending on the day. I get a queezy feel in my stomach just thinking about those workouts back several years ago. It was nothing to see guys toss their cookies and then jump right back into another set.

I don't do these anymore, but I instead I do a modified version about 1-2 times a month on back/shoulder day. I do a hang clean, into a front squat, and explode up into a shoulder press. Last week when I did these for a set of 8 w/ 225lbs my heart rate went to 181 beats per minute. Awesome exersize! Great for building upper body mass when done PROPERLY. Inexperienced lifters trying this just seem to hurt themselves. Oh and I do strap into the bar to make sure I don't throw it at some unsuspecting lady working out next to me.

BUT THESE ARE DEFINITLY MY FAVORITE!
    **not to mention everyone in the gym stairs at you like you're NUTZ!**

:bruce3:

4. Quote Originally Posted by BigFish80 View Post
    These are THE BEST!!!

When I was playing Div 1A football 5 years ago they had us do a power clean from the floor. Then explode up into a shoulder press, control the weight down to the top of your chest, then drop into a parallel front squat. We use to do 4 sets of 8-10 reps depending on the day. I get a queezy feel in my stomach just thinking about those workouts back several years ago. It was nothing to see guys toss their cookies and then jump right back into another set.

I don't do these anymore, but I instead I do a modified version about 1-2 times a month on back/shoulder day. I do a hang clean, into a front squat, and explode up into a shoulder press. Last week when I did these for a set of 8 w/ 225lbs my heart rate went to 181 beats per minute. Awesome exersize! Great for building upper body mass when done PROPERLY. Inexperienced lifters trying this just seem to hurt themselves. Oh and I do strap into the bar to make sure I don't throw it at some unsuspecting lady working out next to me.

BUT THESE ARE DEFINITLY MY FAVORITE!
    **not to mention everyone in the gym stairs at you like you're NUTZ!**

:bruce3:
    Yeah, they're brutal, and I agree, you do get some odd looks...but that's the best part

Your modified version sounds pretty intense, I may have to try that, as long as I have ample space.

5. i usually clean with deads on every other deadlift day, when I'm esp full of energy.

i hit a plateau with deads and adding cleans really made a difference.

as for c & p, i do c & p for the 1st and 2nd set but i cannot press after the 2nd set.

so i just continue to w/ just cleans for the 3rd and the 4th set.

so this is what my day looks like: 7 sets of deadlifts, 2 sets of c & p and 3 sets of cleans.

this really works my upper and lower back, more than just doing deads.

my body got used to doing just deads and when i added cleans, it really made a difference.

in order to do c & p for 5+ sets, i have to dedicate the entire day for C & P.

all about mixing it up so i may mix in C&P on my squat days or bench days.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by 310lifter View Post
    i usually clean with deads on every other deadlift day, when I'm esp full of energy.

i hit a plateau with deads and adding cleans really made a difference.

as for c & p, i do c & p for the 1st and 2nd set but i cannot press after the 2nd set.

so i just continue to w/ just cleans for the 3rd and the 4th set.

so this is what my day looks like: 7 sets of deadlifts, 2 sets of c & p and 3 sets of cleans.

this really works my upper and lower back, more than just doing deads.

my body got used to doing just deads and when i added cleans, it really made a difference.

in order to do c & p for 5+ sets, i have to dedicate the entire day for C & P.

all about mixing it up so i may mix in C&P on my squat days or bench days.
    7 sets of deadlifts? Now that sounds intense.

7. Quote Originally Posted by AllMaxBrian View Post
    7 sets of deadlifts? Now that sounds intense.
    yeah, but the last two, i go light, about half of the peak sets.

with most compounds, i've found that finishing off the last few sets w/ higher rep and lighter weight really yields a great pump.

8. Quote Originally Posted by 310lifter View Post
    yeah, but the last two, i go light, about half of the peak sets.

with most compounds, i've found that finishing off the last few sets w/ higher rep and lighter weight really yields a great pump.
    I am doing deads today, maybe I'll try that. I usually try to end with a slow set, 15 count on the way up, 15 on the way down.
  9. dpfisher

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    Best way to do is try and see if it works.
    I usually did them on separate days but sometimes back to back, so I decided to try them on the same day for a while. So far no injuries or loss of strength.

10. Thanks for the reminder. I used to do these religiously. Great puky feeling exercise. Im on it
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Question about the clean and press
    By Gutterpump in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-01-2015, 09:54 PM
  2. including snatch , clean and press ???
    By Clean Machine in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM
  3. clean and press
    By Stallion83 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 01:27 PM
  4. Proper Hang Clean and Press form
    By tabcat29 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2009, 09:52 PM
  5. Goto Exercise TV and request bodybuilding shows?
    By MadJimF in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2006, 09:51 AM