Lagging arms--help

cobain67

Banned
Awards
My chest is way out of proportion to my arms.. they just won't grow.. any advice on how to help my arms 'catch up?'

I currently train as follows:

Monday: Chest/abs
Tuesday: Back
Wednesday: Shoulders
Thursday: Legs
Friday: Arms/Forearms
Saturday: Cardio/abs

I just look akward with a 43" chest and ~14" arms.. My waist is 31.5" first thing in the morning around the belly button, but sometimes it measures 33" relaxed after a big meal!

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
I just started a more serious arm regimen and I probably could do arms 2X weekly, 'cause my arms are a weak point. Depends on how much work they get in other workouts, as overtraining isn't gonna help. Today I did 3 drop sets of d-bell curls followed by 3 drop sets of hammers. 3 sets of reverse curls. 3 giant sets of pressdowns with reverse pressdowns and skullcrushers, possibly ending with close press right after the skulls. End with 3 rope pressdown sets.
All this said, I think an intense and varied arm day like that is only gonna be good if alternated with a basic heavy arm day of bar curls and maybe seated curls. Or pullups, even better!

cobain67

Banned
Awards
this look ok?

4 sets barbell curls/4 sets ez-bar curls (2 wide, 2 narrow) 6-8 reps
3 sets Incline DB curls/3 sets pullups (palms in) 6-8 reps
2 sets cable curls/2 sets concentration curls (1 set negatives) 8-10 reps
3 sets reverse bb curls (forearm emphasis) 8-10 reps
3 sets wrist curls 10-12 reps

3 sets cgbp/4 sets tricep dips 4-6 reps
1 set 5-board cgbp 8-10 reps
3 sets skulls/3 sets overhead ez-bar ext. 6-8 reps
3 sets rev-grip pressdowns/3 sets db. skulls 6-8 reps

how do those arm workouts look?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
it looks like WAY WAY WAY too many sets . . . i normally do 4 sets for bis and 4 sets for tris ... that's it

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
that's a lotta good stuff, but easily could be overtraining (and counterproductive) unless you have some serious chemical assistance. Probably would do well to cut back a bit. Or, if you wanna try it and really bomb the limbs, just make sure you get some serious rest and rest days between arm workouts. Good luck. Hopefully you'll get some others to chime in as well.

cobain67

Banned
Awards
3 sets barbell curls/3 sets ez-bar curls 6-8 reps
2 sets Incline DB curls/2 sets pullups (palms in) 6-8 reps
1 set cable curls/1 set concentration curls (+1 set negatives) 8-10 reps
--6 sets for biceps--

3 sets reverse bb curls (forearm emphasis) 8-10 reps
2 sets wrist curls 10-12 reps
--5 sets for forearms--

2 sets cgbp/3 sets tricep dips 4-6 reps
1 set 5-board cgbp 8-10 reps
2 sets skulls/2 sets overhead ez-bar ext. 6-8 reps
2 sets rev-grip pressdowns/2 sets db. skulls 6-8 reps
--7 sets for triceps--

*60-120 seconds rest between sets

I lowered the volume a bit, does it look a little better?

skoal

Awards
Drop the ez bar curls and go with either dubbells or a barbell. I've found barbell curls, scott curls and inclide curls to work the best. This lets you hit the biceps from three angles, elbows to the front, at the side and behind the body. Same thing for triceps, skull crushers or dips top my list, pushdowns and an overhead movement like french press.

Some where else there was a dicussion about training arms and a number of guys felt training them for a few sets twice a week works well and I'd agree. I do 6 sets of bi's and tri's with low reps and then 6 sets with higher reps another day. Arms have never been a strong point for me but I have managed to get them up to 17" so keep at it.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Man, people go so crazy with the amount of work... A little more than half that number of sets is a whole upper body workout for me.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Man, people go so crazy with the amount of work... A little more than half that number of sets is a whole upper body workout for me.
lol, I know what you mean. Low reps/sets for me too...probably only 3 sets/bodypart. All done with pedal to the medal power/intensity. On top of that, I only train with a 9-day split. Eat like crazy and get your rest, you won't need anything else really. ;)

Renton405

Awards
More frequency , less volume...Train the arms every other day, only 2-3 sets....I never got good gains blasting my arms hard once a week...just my take on it

Dont swing your body when doing curls(cheating)...if you do that lessen the weight, really isolate the muscle without any other body motion...also a creatine/NO combo supplement 30-45 minutes before your workout can help push your plateua and stretch your muscles with a good pump..