spring arm-focus workout

cwilson830

Awards
I'm going on a few warm-weather trips in May and really want to focus on building up my arms in the meantime. I'd really like some advice about the following workout - am I undertraining/overtraining/about right? Thanks for your help.

I'm splitting up my workouts over 5 days - 2 days for full-body workouts, 2 days for just arms, and 1 day for cardio.

My full-body workouts have no direct bi or tri exercises:

Bench or Inclines
Shoulder Press or Arnold Press
Bent-over-Row
Cable Cross
Bunch of Ab Exercises
(I temporarily am laying off legs due to an injury)

My arm days consist of:

Dumbbell Curls
Skull Crushers
Preacher Curls
Tricep Extentions
Cable Curls
Cable Pushdowns

Thanks for the help!

Wilson

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
your bis and tris will get worked on your full body day ... tris on all the presses and bis on bent over rows ... so you'll actually be training your arms 4 times a week ... severe overtraining which will lead to no gains

... what about legs? ... your "full body" workout isn't exactly full body when you're leaving out half of your body

this isn't the best way to go about what you want to accomplish

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
your bis and tris will get worked on your full body day ... tris on all the presses and bis on bent over rows ... so you'll actually be training your arms 4 times a week ... severe overtraining which will lead to no gains

... what about legs? ... your "full body" workout isn't exactly full body when you're leaving out half of your body

this isn't the best way to go about what you want to accomplish
Glen the man said he had an injury hence no leg workout. But I agree with ya, your routine isn't gonna cut it bro. Full body routines are not a good way to add size. There's NO way you can go at a bodypart with full intensity then do the rest of them. Ain't no how no way notta gonna happen.

cwilson830

Awards
Glen the man said he had an injury hence no leg workout. But I agree with ya, your routine isn't gonna cut it bro. Full body routines are not a good way to add size. There's NO way you can go at a bodypart with full intensity then do the rest of them. Ain't no how no way notta gonna happen.
Thanks for the quick responses. Re: the legs - my doc told me to limit my workouts until I see him again next month. I'm pissed.

So, what do you advise that I do? Go back to a more conventional split routine, and add a couple of exercises to the areas I'm interested in really working?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the quick responses. Re: the legs - my doc told me to limit my workouts until I see him again next month. I'm pissed.

So, what do you advise that I do? Go back to a more conventional split routine, and add a couple of exercises to the areas I'm interested in really working?
I would suggest hitting your bi's and tri's once every 6 days I'd do something like: Remember you grow outside the gym not inside. I like this split and it works well for me but you may be different. Try it out for a few weeks if you'd like and see how it fits ya.
Monday:Biceps/abs
Tues:Triceps/forearms
Wed off
Thurs:Back/traps/abs
Friday:Chest/Shoulders
Sat: Off
Sunday Biceps/abs, ect.....

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
oh i'm sorry completely missed the leg injury

i have to disagree about not being able to get a good workout full body ... DC's workouts are close to full body in the sense that you work multiple body parts each day (chest back shoulders / legs arms) ... i think its POSSIBLE to get a good workout in that's full body although splitting it in at least two would certainly be better

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
oh i'm sorry completely missed the leg injury

i have to disagree about not being able to get a good workout full body ... DC's workouts are close to full body in the sense that you work multiple body parts each day (chest back shoulders / legs arms) ... i think its POSSIBLE to get a good workout in that's full body although splitting it in at least two would certainly be better
I've done DC training and it worked for about a month then I saw no other progress. But even with his protocol I couldn't hit all the bodyparts for the day with hard core intensity. To each his own but he's been doing the full body thing and it hasn't gotten the job done. I think it's time to throw something new in the mix.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i dont disagree at all jminis just kind of playing devils advocate

RobInKuwait

RobInKuwait

Awards
  • Established
Whats up Wilson? Good to see you here!

cwilson830

Awards
All, thanks for the advice..