The Age Factor

J

JimJames

Banned
Awards
While attending the Arnold Classic this past weekend I received a free book titled "Extreme Muscle Enhancement"... as I was reading through it, the author states that if you are past the age of 35 then you should give up trying to put on mass and concentrate on keeping what you have. Even drugs wouldn't help much.

As you can see, I am 35 and hope this isn't true. Does anyone have any other documented evidence that would dispel what this guy said?

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Total crap...lol. It will get harder to do so, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Prime example: My father is 54 years old. He used to train and play college football back in his day. He just got back into training about say 6 years ago. He's now the biggest and leanest he's been ever he says. Proof's in the pudding. ;)

J

JimJames

Banned
Awards
That is what I was hoping to hear. I have lifted off and on since I was in high school but not as serious as I have the last 2 years. I know it will be harder, but to say don't bother really pissed me off.

U

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
its harder to gain and harder to lose once you hit your mid 30s from what I hear. I would think that aas would still have a profound affect on growth even into someone 40s or later. I have seen guys in there late 30s get back into bodybuilding and gain alot. Have you seen Stalone lately, he is like 60 and look at him!!

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
its harder to gain and harder to lose once you hit your mid 30s from what I hear. I would think that aas would still have a profound affect on growth even into someone 40s or later. I have seen guys in there late 30s get back into bodybuilding and gain alot. Have you seen Stalone lately, he is like 60 and look at him!!
lol...I was just gonna post the same thing about Stallone. I saw him on that new reality show called Contender last night. He's bigger than ever. Although it looks as though he's been hitting up some massive GH or something because his face and head look rather boulder-ish....if that's a word. Another good example nonetheless. I wouldn't take anything else this author says to be true. What was his name anyways?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
It's all the instone Pudding he's eating now :rofl:

J

JimJames

Banned
Awards
Authors name in Carlon M. Colker, MD, FACN his exact words "... even with the assistance of drugs, you simply can't get a whole lot bigger in the years ahead." That is after 35.

Stalone is great, but I am thinking Günter big.... I guess I will be eating a lot of instone pudding.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
...I received a free book titled "Extreme Muscle Enhancement"...the author states that if you are past the age of 35 then you should give up trying to put on mass and concentrate on keeping what you have. Even drugs wouldn't help much.

As you can see, I am 35 and hope this isn't true. Does anyone have any other documented evidence that would dispel what this guy said?
I have no documentation to speak of; I'll just point out that I'm 53, and in the last 2.5 months, I've dropped 8# of bodyfat & gained 18# of LBM. No AAS, no prohormones - just working something (almost) every day.

S

shootmeagain

Awards
  • Established
My guess is that things like that are written by certain 22 year olds who think 35 is 'like wayyy old' or by certain 42 year olds who have given up and like the excuse of age.

Don't let things like that discourage you.

J

JimJames

Banned
Awards
It was about to discourage me, then it pissed me off. I will get big... Gunter big... just to throw his book at him.
Thanks for the feedback... I very much appreciate your comments. And, it is nice to see that there are others here who are over 35 and still working to build a bigger body.

C

Crotalus

Awards
I just saw Stalone on a talk show and also in the audience during the Contender bouts. i saw him first on the talk show and I couldn't believe his face !

Though he's only been an 'acting' boxer and has never taken 10,000 shots to the mug, he could now pass for a punch- drunk fighter if you didn't know who he was , that's how bad his face looked ... like it was made of wax, was left in a hot car and melted alittle bit. I didn't see him in the ring with his shirt off but I'm sure he looks great like you guys say.

I guess whatever he's been on has made his face even more distorted than it was naturaly :eek:

I always liked the guy ....

Yo Adrianne ..... !!!

S

skoal

Awards
If you have been training since you were 18 and are now 36 it might be hard to put on 10 pounds of muscle but that isn't because of age, it's because it just gets harder to put that kind of size on. Just keep hammering away, you'll keep getting better and as you get older the gap between you and the people your age will just keep getting wider.

I

intv

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Results certainly seem to take longer in my 30s than when I was in my early 20s, that's for sure, but look at some of the "older" guys who post pics here and disprove that quote. Also, like skoal just mentioned, the status quo for our age is atrophied and potbellied. I may not look that great compared to the average 20 y.o., but I definitely do next to the average 35 y.o.

F

Foster

Awards
Ronnie Coleman, one of his biggest jumps in size occured when he was 38 or 39 and he still adds mass every year.

T

TravTriggz

Awards
ronnie coleman is black. The guy could probably fast for a week on water and peanuts do a set of 10 pullups a day smoke crack and watch soap opras and get huge off of it.
"heres somethin you didnt know afrikan american males tend to have more WHITE TWITCH MUSCLE FIBERS."

S

skoal

Awards
I may not look that great compared to the average 20 y.o., but I definitely do next to the average 35 y.o.
From what I've seen, the women in their 20's must find the 30+ crowd pretty attractive. More women flirt with me now than they did in my 20's. You can look great in your 30,s, 40's, 50, and 60's and have all those other things that come about with age. Money, stability, and experience.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Same is true for me - since 40, I get *much* more female attention than I ever have before (tho I can't say they're all in their 20s: some have been - surprisingly - in their teens; but now most are in their 30s & 40s).

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Man, I used to get WAAAAAY more action when I was a skinny ass 150lb. teenager back in the day vs. now at 24 and a muscular 250-260lbs. Although I guess it's definatley a lot easier to get with the girls back when we were younger as everybody was horny as hell back then and they wanted the same thing...SEX...lol.

But it just seems that the only thing girls care about is if the guy has a nice face, nice personality, etc. to tell you the truth. Exactly what my mama always said...lol. It's whats' on the inside that counts. Bleh...

S

skoal

Awards
Man, I used to get WAAAAAY more action when I was a skinny ass 150lb. teenager back in the day vs. now at 24 and a muscular 250-260lbs. Although I guess it's definatley a lot easier to get with the girls back when we were younger as everybody was horny as hell back then and they wanted the same thing...SEX...lol.

But it just seems that the only thing girls care about is if the guy has a nice face, nice personality, etc. to tell you the truth. Exactly what my mama always said...lol. It's whats' on the inside that counts. Bleh...
Would someone else like to handle this one?

K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Lifting weights can be as satisfying as sex. Did I say that? Whoa... any way you just cant believe everything you read or hear. I started lifting at age 30 and weighed 180. I could encircle my arms with my hand back then, (touch thumb to index finger). Im stronger now than I ever was in my prime and I still seem to be making progress. A guy has to stay with it, its not what exogenous stuff you ingest, its how and how often you train over the years. Stay with it and train SMART!

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
out of my league - I don't think I know any who care about looks or personality, or even sex - mostly they seem interested either in money - or in someone they can push around.

T

Taoseeker

Awards
I did my first cycle at age 58. 500 Test Enan. and 200 Deca. I went from 185 to 225 in 8 weeks. My arms went from 14 1/2 inches to 18 inches. I was leg pressing 550 lbs. I did a few more cycles and put on some more muscle.

What I did do wrong, was forgot my ageing ligaments, insertions, and cartilage. I was doing preacher curls with 130 and outcurling 20 yearolds. Then I strained some ligaments, etc. Had to quit working out for a year to let everything heal.

I dont think I am a rare case. I worked out hard. Past exhaustion to ready to puke. When I graduated from High School I was 6'1" and weighed 132 lbs. I worked out naturally most of my life beginning at about age 27 but I never got over 183 lbs. with 16 and 1/2 inch arms.

When I stared my cycle at age 58, I had not worked out hard in years. Another mistake; I started out using gear instead of working out for about 6 months naturally to get the joints and connective tissue conditioned.

I put on 30 lbs of muscle at age 58 using 500mg of test.

I would say the guy who is saying that older guys cant put on muscle is full of ****.

K

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Taoseeker that is good advice, and point of view, look forward to more posts from you about your experiences and shared knowledge.

J

JimJames

Banned
Awards
Taoseeker, can you tell me more about your cycle? I have used ph's for the last year and am getting ready to make the jump but would like to hear more results and how-to's. I will be reasrching the what's and how's but would like some imputs from someone like yourself.

M

merllin_2000

Awards
I am not 35 yet but as close as i want to be LOL, but even still i have been able to make more gains now than when i was a child, just because of my dedication and i have finally figured out what my body needs, and i really dont think that in a couple of years will prevent this from progressing. Although my skin might not be as tight LOL. All in all i totally diagree with this completely.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
What a load of unmitigated crap that guy is spewing! I've been lifting for over three decades. When I moved back to the US in 2000 I was a lean 149 lb runner/mountain biker/lifter in good shape. I decided I wanted to concentrate on adding size and strength for once in my life. I ended up training mostly using MAX OT with an occasional change of pace from some GVT. I got more serious about my diet with the help and commitment of a supportive wife. I went through Norandro, 1AD, 4AD, M1T(ugghhh), M4OHN and SD. (Note: the last two are the best things ever invented for the combined safety and success of the older lifter). Now after PCT and a couple weeks off with the flu I still weigh 210 and am twice as strong as I was five years ago. (Note #2: I've still held on to 12 lbs of weight gained and all-except 10 lbs of my BP strength gained on my SD cycle). The guys in the gym call me the Old Gorilla. I have a friend at the gym also 63 whose nickname now is Tank. Most of his size and strength gains have come in the last four years. We laugh at the kids who are amazed when they learn our ages. That preconceived, self-serving BS about not being able to grow and improve past 60 is pure unadulturated BUNK!

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
What a load of unmitigated crap that guy is spewing! I've been lifting for over three decades. When I moved back to the US in 2000 I was a lean 149 lb runner/mountain biker/lifter in good shape. I decided I wanted to concentrate on adding size and strength for once in my life. I ended up training mostly using MAX OT with an occasional change of pace from some GVT. I got more serious about my diet with the help and commitment of a supportive wife. I went through Norandro, 1AD, 4AD, M1T(ugghhh), M4OHN and SD. (Note: the last two are the best things ever invented for the combined safety and success of the older lifter). Now after PCT and a couple weeks off with the flu I still weigh 210 and am twice as strong as I was five years ago. (Note #2: I've still held on to 12 lbs of weight gained and all-except 10 lbs of my BP strength gained on my SD cycle). The guys in the gym call me the Old Gorilla. I have a friend at the gym also 63 whose nickname now is Tank. Most of his size and strength gains have come in the last four years. We laugh at the kids who are amazed when they learn our ages. That preconceived, self-serving BS about not being able to grow and improve past 60 is pure unadulturated BUNK!
:goodpost:

F

Foster

Awards
Your body slowly declines from 20s to 60 and then after 60 it becomes a much sharper decline. It varies from person to person but there is no way you can be as fit at 60 as you could have been at 20. However, your body can be stronger and in better shape as you get older if your lvl of fitness when you're younger wasn't exceptional. It takes years to reach your genetic potential so someone in their 20s who is just starting might not reach their potential unless they train perfectly well into their 30s. Your body will decline in your 60s but that's no reason not to stay in shape. The older you keep exercising, the longer your quality of life will be higher than people who just sit around and think their life is older. Dutchman, you're an inspiration to us all.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Your body slowly declines from 20s to 60 and then after 60 it becomes a much sharper decline. It varies from person to person but there is no way you can be as fit at 60 as you could have been at 20. However, your body can be stronger and in better shape as you get older if your lvl of fitness when you're younger wasn't exceptional. It takes years to reach your genetic potential so someone in their 20s who is just starting might not reach their potential unless they train perfectly well into their 30s. Your body will decline in your 60s but that's no reason not to stay in shape. The older you keep exercising, the longer your quality of life will be higher than people who just sit around and think their life is older. EEmain, you're an inspiration to us all.
In general that's a true and accurate statement. However, as someone who never took any illegal drugs (for strength and fitness purposes....ahem!), who has seen a huge change in over the counter supplementation available, likewise in training methods, improvements in equipment and facilities that make lifting/cardio more doable and at a higher level than ever before.....after all that not inconsequential evolution in the art, I firmly believe that outside of the few "pros" of the old days for many of us "old farts" we did indeed improve over our earlier "best" efforts. Now do I have the speed and reactions of 21, heck no! But with all the resources available such as this site and the tons of advice contained therein, I am a smarter, more focused and purposeful lifter than ever before. Am I a candidate for a 500 lb BP....NO WAY! But can I dream about competing as a PL or BB on a high level statewide or even nationaly in my agegroup if I really want to? Yes. That good sir was not so readily available for the masses back when I started out with a broomstick and two paint cans filled with cement! What you know so readily....we had to learn and discover. Enjoy it for a lifetime!

T

TimR

Awards
Extreme Muscle Enhancement

While attending the Arnold Classic this past weekend I received a free book titled "Extreme Muscle Enhancement"... as I was reading through it, the author states that if you are past the age of 35 then you should give up trying to put on mass and concentrate on keeping what you have. Even drugs wouldn't help much.

Jim, apparently you did not read the book. I purchased the book also and after seeing your post (to be sure) I went through the book again, because what you said was not ringing any bells. The author of the book goes into great detail as to how much the older bodybuilder can expect to gain annually and gives extensive instruction on how to build muscle as one ages. Being an older body builder myself, I found this book to be quite inspiring to say the least. Are you sure you were talking about the same book?

T

Taoseeker

Awards
Taoseeker, can you tell me more about your cycle? I have used ph's for the last year and am getting ready to make the jump but would like to hear more results and how-to's. I will be reasrching the what's and how's but would like some imputs from someone like yourself.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I forgot about this thread. I did several cycles, some using Tren, Equipose, Deca, Enanthate, and Sustanon. Started with 500 mg Test and 400 Deca, worked up to 1 Gm+ of Test and 500+ Deca. Usually 8 week cycles.

I used Arimidex and Clomid after the cycle to kick off again. If I had it to do over, I would stay away from the Deca and do just straight Test. The Deca shuts you down hard and older BBers have a harder time recovering their natural Test production. I do think the cycles decreased my natural Test production prematurely. And, Arimidex shuts down your Estrogen level too far. I would use a milder Anti-E. Check your prostate (PSA), it will get elevated but not enough to cause alarm. I told my doctor what I was doing and he checked me for over with that in mind.

Older BBers that use large doses of Test are prone to BP elevation and water retention, so you have to watch out for that. Your HDL will go to hell. With those disclaimers, steroids do the same thing for a 60 year old that they do for a 20 year old; increase metabolism and anabolic processes. Your fat/muscle ration will change for the better and you can get big.

I have not seen any research, but I think this would work for an 80 year old also. Test builds muscle; much more with resistance work. So, no matter how old you are it will work. The sides would probably just get more troublesome. Check my profile and E-mail me if you have any other questions.

F

Foster

Awards
Did I miss something here?
Yeah, my ineptness. I meant dutchman. I typed it quick at work and I don't know how I typed the wrong name. Sorry about that. I'm sure you're an inspiration in your own right :)

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, my ineptness. I meant dutchman. I typed it quick at work and I don't know how I typed the wrong name. Sorry about that. I'm sure you're an inspiration in your own right :)
:rofl:

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

I did lift quite a bit in my 20's but took basically 10 years off before starting again at nearly 39. I am 42 now and if you saw me at 38 you would know for sure that this loser is DEAD WRONG!

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established

Albert beckles competed in his last olympia at like 60 man...

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to turn 30 this year, and you know what ive got to say to time and 'getting older' and all that BS? BRING IT THE **** ON!!!!! Ill be in that freakin' squat rack till the week I leave this worthless planet.

Z

Zero Tolerance

Awards
  • Established
I think it's important to consider muscle memory here.. Maybe it Would be very difficult to build muscle after 35 or so if you've never trained before. Maybe at that point, if you've never trained before, you wouldn't gain very much. I'm going on 34 and it feels like, to me, that I can build muscle faster and easier than ever before. It seems strange.. But I was pretty big in my 20s so that's probably playing a major factor. I can probably gain a good amount of muscle to be bigger now than I was then - but had i never trained before and just started now... Know what I'm saying? Then again, everybody is different...

For example, "old fart" is pretty big guy. But my guess is that he was atleast close to this size when he was in his 20s. Laying off for 10 years and starting back up at 38 took hard work and muscle memory to catch back up to that kind of physical condition. Without ever training before, it might be impossible to get into his shape if training for the first time at 38...