1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Training Logbooks

I was in the gym tonight and noticed that hardly anyone uses a logbook to keep track of their workout. In fact, I don't think I saw a single person with a logbook. I've noticed this before. How is one to gauge his or her progress? Guess? I don't understand it. I believe having a logbook is a very important part of training. It tells you when you've hit a plateau on a particular exercise meaning it's time to move on. Exact weights you've used on previous workouts. How many reps were done, and if those reps were rest paused or straight sets or whatever. I also like throwing in notes on how I felt or how long the workout was. I mean the list goes on and on. I feel that when I use a logbook, that I must beat my previous best on a particular exercise or else I have failed. It gives you something to shoot for. A purpose if you will. I'd just like to know how everyone else thought about it.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Tell us how your routine goes! Keep it logged...
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.41%

I dont, but I plan on trying one they seem like a good investment.
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.42%

I have used a log for the past two years now. On each page there is a section for cardio, strength training, and diet/notes. There is also a weekly wrap-up to record gains, losses, thoughts, and week ending weight. I have found this to be a very effective method of measuring progress and a motivational tool. After all, we all want to continue getting better, and this lets you know where you are slowing down, slipping, etc. I use the diet section to record my supplement routine for the day. This way I can gauge what supplements I am getting the best results with. I doubt I could be as effective without my log and really couldn't imagine working out without one.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.6%

Quote Originally Posted by kwyckemynd00
    Tell us how your routine goes! Keep it logged...
    I just might. Lemme get my **** together first.
  6. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.19%

Quote Originally Posted by joecski
    I have used a log for the past two years now. On each page there is a section for cardio, strength training, and diet/notes. There is also a weekly wrap-up to record gains, losses, thoughts, and week ending weight. I have found this to be a very effective method of measuring progress and a motivational tool. After all, we all want to continue getting better, and this lets you know where you are slowing down, slipping, etc. I use the diet section to record my supplement routine for the day. This way I can gauge what supplements I am getting the best results with. I doubt I could be as effective without my log and really couldn't imagine working out without one.
    Where did you get yours? Ive always just used a cheap spiral pocket notebook, but like the idae of a structured book, especially with an area for diet. Thanks.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.6%

Personally I used a plain green hardbacked lined notebook. These are very durable. I got mine from the military, but I'm pretty sure you can get them from Staples or Kinkos or one of those kinds of stores. This way I can structure it the way I want to, not by someone elses standards.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.17%

I did for the first three years but I stopped about 8 months ago.
  9. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.9%

A plain spiral works good for me. It's about half size or so.
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.97%

log it on your computer and print it off,
    (after your workouts)
  11. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.42%

Quote Originally Posted by pcn
    Where did you get yours? Ive always just used a cheap spiral pocket notebook, but like the idae of a structured book, especially with an area for diet. Thanks.
    Look in any bookstore. I picked mine up in Barnes and Noble, but I saw a few in Borders as well. Some are very detailed, offering a separate page for dietary information. The one I have covers a full year, two days a page with a weekly wrap up. I have also seen some logs online that you can just print, but it was easier to use this book. I think I paid like $15 or so for it. Hope this helps.
  12. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.9%

used to do it, now I don't. I wanna be on top of things, so I like the idea of journaling, laying out weeks, routines, changes, etc. Keeping notes, logs-sort of. I don't wanna log every damn rep anymore, however, and weight, etc. It's too much work and I found it to take some fun out of it. I suppose I may change my mind again some time. Especially if I am doing a specific cycle and so on, and I want to track very specific goals. Dammit, now I'm feeling guilty for being a slacker!
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.34%

I use Excel and make my own cutsom logbooks, been doing this for years now I started to when in high school football, they made us. After that I didn't for a bit, and it was a stupid thing to do. You can "remember" things all you want, but written records don't lie and will show you progress over time, I can't believe alot of people at my gym don't either.
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.31%

I used to, but now I do everything instinctively I guess. But I still keep in my mind how many sets I do and which exercises I have done. The weights I'm moving around don't really bother me much because I'm not a powerlifter.
  15. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.16%

I should, but I find I can remember what I used and how many reps, so I know when I'm at a platue or not
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.83%

Dave Draper has a nice one called Iron and Steel Training Journal. $12.00 at davedraper.com and he autographs it for you too.
  17. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.27%

I generally find keeping a log is a pain in the ass. I know pretty well what my PRs are for the different ME moves I do, though sometimes the weight I'm moving won't seem to go up in assistance exercises and it'd be nice to have a record there... I'm making great gains lately so it's not as much of an issue as if I were plateaued.
  18. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.92%

using a logbook gives me goals each and every time i step into the gym
  19. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.53%

i use one ... if i didn't i'd never remember what i did for an exercise the last time i did it 3 weeks ago
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'8"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.27%

I use one as well. I have too much crap to rember anyways.
  21. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%

Anyone got a website for a free program for the computer?
  22. officially an adult
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

Quote Originally Posted by fightercowboy
    Anyone got a website for a free program for the computer?
    you should just make one yourself using excel or a spreadsheet. I'm sure that u will be much happier with one customized to your needs.

And considering that i sometimes forget my friends' (no joke!!) names, i definately need a logboob,
  23. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.59%

I use a tiny sprial bound notebook every workout. Lets me know progress of weight/reps for each exercise and I also make small notes for any odd pains (be it joints or other stuff) as well as mental state & energy state so I can judge similar workout conditions.
    I use a totally seperate notebook for my diet.
    I only see about 25% of the people at the gym using a notebook of some sort during working out...and that's a generous number.
  24. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.94%

Quote Originally Posted by jweave23
    I use Excel and make my own cutsom logbooks, been doing this for years now I started to when in high school football, they made us. After that I didn't for a bit, and it was a stupid thing to do. You can "remember" things all you want, but written records don't lie and will show you progress over time, I can't believe alot of people at my gym don't either.
    Im with Jweave, design my own in excel, good to look back and see your progress.
  25. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.6%

I think it's a must if you're serious, and want to see where you have been, etc.

I go the excel route, but bring a pen and notebook to write down anything that i change during a workout, or if i decide to up my max during one.

At my University gym, i hardly see anyone w/ a notebook/log. Maybe one or two regulars.
  26. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.27%

Logbooks, imo, are for the beginner and intermediate trainee. When you get to an advanced level, you start do develop a pretty intuitive grasp of your progress, your current work capacity and your strength levels. If ALL you care about is size and you're doing some sort of slow rep TUT stuff where strength gains are very slow coming and small in nature, you might want to keep a log of weight gain, bodyfat and your exercise results, since weight gain, fat gain and strength gain will be somewhat disparate with a routine like that. For a routine that focuses equal attention to strength and size however, there isn't really a need for a workout logbook, except to look back on and laugh (I kept a logbook for a while a few years back, kind of funny to see my 365x5 squat pr from back then )
  27. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.94%

Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    Logbooks, imo, are for the beginner and intermediate trainee. When you get to an advanced level, you start do develop a pretty intuitive grasp of your progress, your current work capacity and your strength levels. If ALL you care about is size and you're doing some sort of slow rep TUT stuff where strength gains are very slow coming and small in nature, you might want to keep a log of weight gain, bodyfat and your exercise results, since weight gain, fat gain and strength gain will be somewhat disparate with a routine like that. For a routine that focuses equal attention to strength and size however, there isn't really a need for a workout logbook, except to look back on and laugh (I kept a logbook for a while a few years back, kind of funny to see my 365x5 squat pr from back then )
    I'd have to disagree there, i think for the vast majority a note book is an essential tool, progress is key. But to each his own.
  28. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.6%

And with certain training programs a logbook is a must.
  29. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.64%

Not keeping a log is only cheating yourself. There's no way someone is going to remember each rep of each set from last weeks workout as well as the past few weeks. If your a PL then that's a different story but a bodybuilder no way man. Maybe if your doing the same workout day in and day out you can but your probably not making progress.

I talk to people all the time and they say yeah I remember then you can see their making some bull**** up when you question them. I guess that's why they make no progress and i do. I can see right there on paper I'm stronger now then I was 3 weeks ago. Which in return will lead to new muscle growth.
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.83%

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Not keeping a log is only cheating yourself.
    Being a bit of a nerd and a workout at home person, I've set up a spreadsheet and carry my laptop down to the basement. You're absolutely right, there is no way that'd I would remember anything w/o recording it. Once it was setup, all I have to change is the weight/rep count. It totals per exercise and total day rep count and lift weight. I keep notes of how i feel or any variance that takes place. It really lets me look at my history and where my lift should start for a new day. The numbers are taking a beating due to the SD cycle I'm on.
  31. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.27%

When you're not trying to remember sets/reps/tempo/other bull****, when all you're trying to remember is how much weight you could put up for 1 rep, it's pretty easy
  32. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.83%

I'm not there Ex, still trying to build a framework. I don't know if I'll get to a point that I'm only looking at 1 RM. But hey, I'm going to keep at it.
  33. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.22%

I have been training for 15 years and used logs for about a month in total.
    While I like the logging, it slows me down and breaks my concentration.

I suppose for some it might help them focus on the task at hand, but not for me.
  34. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.97%

I couldnt' train without a log book. I actually don't use a book but instead my pocket pc with an excel spreadsheet. That way I can view it on my computer also. I get kinda pumped up knowing, for example, that I'm at 315x8 on the squat while I was at 225x10 not so long ago...and knowing exactly what my goal is next workout (315x9) gets me riled up to make that improvement.

But i train alone and at home...I can understand why, at a gym, someone may not want to carry around a notebook or a $500 pocket computer.
  35. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.8%

I love my logbook, I cant live without it
  36. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.75%

Define "logbook"

No, I dont bring a notebook to the gym. I do, however, keep a record of some lifts and all my meauserments on my computer at home.
  37. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  208 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.91%

dry erase & protrack software. pretty friendly.
  38. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.58%

i make up weekly workouts on an excell spread sheet and print them out. i mark down what i lifted the week before so i know to bump this weeks workout up.
  39. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.41%

if you train balls to the wall every time theres no need for a logbook. even if you are weaker, you are still training balls to the wall.....so who needs one?
  40. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.73%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I just bring my computer to the gym yea it can be a PIA trying to find an outlet carrying the key board, monitor etc but it REALLY has helped me.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade

Similar Forum Threads

1. German Volume Training
    By wardog in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
  2. whats your favorite muscle to train?
    By hamper19 in forum General Chat