fat burning works better at low intensity cardio? why?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo

The true solution to the endless HIIT vs Low intensity debate - skip cardio altogether!~

I'm down with dragging a sled, or doing squats or deadlifts for time (WSB style 6-10 reps/s, with a weight you can do for between 3-6 minutes) though. I don't consider that cardio, I consider it "conditioning"
    6-10 reps/s=second, wehell i can do at least 20 reps a sec.

try bodyweight squats A2G for 2 minutes,
    It is hell....purely, most beginners cant do that and women,
    no way .
    its amazing how much you can do with just your freakin bodyweight.

EX i pull the sled for over a mile with a 45 on it(90lbs)
    very good relaxing conditioning

a little off topic: I want to make 40-50 feet rail setup in my yard
    to pull super heavy weight on the sled, to mimic the tread sled
    at WSB. except this you use your arms and your ars.

2. Quote Originally Posted by BigP0ppa3
    I think there's a flip side to this coin, though.

If you burn 3 calories with 2 coming from fat - where does the other 1 calorie come from, isn't this broken down muscle protein? If that's the case then you can say that you only lost 33% muscle protein.
    As someone else pointed out, the remaining calories comes from gylcogen, provided you arent glycogen depleted.
    And that is the biggest problem with fasted cardio. You are already gylcogen depleted (especially muscle I would have thought, liver should still be pretty full) and many people end up training at too high an intensity. I know I did before I bought a HR monitor. Measuring HR when your near max is easy as the blood is (obviously) really coursing through your veins, but when I do low intensity cardio, trying to measure my HR while still on the machine (stair climber normally) can be very hard and wildly inaccurate. Once I bought the HR monitor, I found I had to drastically cut the intensity to keep my HR below 65%. Problem is, cardio then feels too easy so without knowing your "real time" HR, it is very easy (and human nature) to increase the intensity until you start to feel like the cardio is working.

Quote Originally Posted by BigP0ppa3
    R6Speed - 65-85% is a pretty wide range to avoid, what range do you feel is appropriate for max fat lost while retaining muscle?

Thanks guys.
    In a nutshell, below 65%.
    If you plan to venture above this, then make sure you have a pre WO shale/meal to ensure you have plenty of energy to power your cardio session to avoid muscle loss.

There is nothing wrong with hitting the high HR (in fact it is benificial for cardio vascular conditioning), just make sure that you have the pre WO meal/shake and dont try to keep going for too long.
    Twenty minutes of moderate/high intensity is long enough to confer both fat burning and cardio vascular conditoning benefits. If you must do cardio for longer (which I doubt many here would feel the need to ), then split it up into 2 sessions (AM and PM). Same benefits without the risk.
    •   

3. Whoops, that should have been reps/minute

4. Quote Originally Posted by Chippewa
    BTW, how many calories do you guys tend to burn per session, according to the readouts on whatever cardio machines you use? (granted, they are not remarkably accurate).
    Generally around 500 cals. I never refer to those machine.

...And Nelson Montana it a nut ball. Nuf said.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew69
    As someone else pointed out, the remaining calories comes from gylcogen, provided you arent glycogen depleted.
    And that is the biggest problem with fasted cardio. You are already gylcogen depleted (especially muscle I would have thought, liver should still be pretty full)
    Actually Liver glycogen is used primarily to keep blood glucose levels from falling to low to support the brain and nervous system while you sleep. Muscle glycogen can be full to the brim when you wake up in the morning but liver glycogen will always be depleted.

Remember. Muscle glycogen can only be used by the muscle it is stored in during execise. It is not released into the blood stream to bring up blood glucose levels like liver glycogen.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Lean One
    Actually Liver glycogen is used primarily to keep blood glucose levels from falling to low to support the brain and nervous system while you sleep. Muscle glycogen can be full to the brim when you wake up in the morning but liver glycogen will always be depleted.

Remember. Muscle glycogen can only be used by the muscle it is stored in during execise. It is not released into the blood stream to bring up blood glucose levels like liver glycogen.
    Thanks for the clarification Lean One. I knew it was one or the other

7. Also, some of the HIIT advocates will tell you that cardio will turn your fast twitch fibers into slow twitch fibers, but they fail to realize this won't happen since we already train with weights. This was at least the claim of one dude at my gym
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. For Optimal Fat Loss - HITT vs Low Intensity Cardio
    By fatburner2007 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 12:45 AM
  3. Low intensity cardio during the day
    By Anarchy939 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 01:47 AM
  4. Low Intensity Cardio: Effective?
    By foreverdown92 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 05:22 PM
  5. What to eat after a low intensity cardio session?
    By Rock Lee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 11:16 AM