Too much, just right, or not enough...?

Awards
I have heard two schools of thought with shoulders: 1) shoulders get plenty exercise during other lifts and therefore do not require as many sets on shoulder-day, and 2) Hit them hard and heavy like any other body part.

In the past year I usual went with the fewer sets theory. I saw some, but little improvement. So I am considering a change.

Here is what I have tried the last couple times:
Arnold Presses (3x8) I go low enough that my hands are at the same level as my nipples
Hammer Strength shoulder presses (2x8)
Lateral Raises (3x8) this is on a Lifetime Fitness machine
Then I start with a 5lb plate gripping it with both hands and lift it up until it is above my head eight times. Without resting I go to a 10lb and then a 25lb plate. I rest for 30 seconds and do a 35lb, 30seconds and then a 45lb. I then do the exact same thing in reverse order. By the time I get to the last 5lb plate I can barely lift it.

Then I go home.

I have been getting REALLY sore doing this, but my question is if it is too much. What do you think?

Also, I'm looking for size more than strength.

D_town

D_town

Awards
  • Established
I may over-train myself, but your routine seems fine. I don't neccessarily see the point in doing two seperate pressing movements.

For the last couple months, I have been doing shoulders/back together. My routine usually consists of:

4 sets Arnold Presses
3 sets front raises
3 sets rear delt raises
Up to 6 sets of trap isolating excercises, usually 2 variations

Then I move to a few different row variations for back.

I have heard two schools of thought with shoulders: 1) shoulders get plenty exercise during other lifts and therefore do not require as many sets on shoulder-day, and 2) Hit them hard and heavy like any other body part.
I say, hit them like any other bodypart, that's what they are. Others may disagree. Biceps or triceps get hit with most upper body work, we still isolate those muscles.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hmmm I do barbell shoulder presses and arnold presses, and maybe some upright rows (but not as much anymore since I heard about the injury thing). They really don't need that much, just go heavy and low reps (4-6).

They get worked (at least the anterior delt) some on most chest movements too.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
waiting for Bobo to come in here; he's an advocate of lower sets theory; 8 sets a week max he says... my shoulder development has pretty much halted from 8 sets and i too am also looking for a change.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have to go with school of thought #1...shoulders are used ALOT. With that being said, when I train them I really like using high reps and light/moderate workloads.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
No one way will work for everyone. You just have to experiment to see what works for yourself. Delts to start aren't very big muscles so one would think you wouldn't need to destroy them with many sets. But then again what works for me might not work for you. Try it all and see what pans out.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I am of the school of thought that says start out just doing compound pushing exercises, and if your shoulders are lagging add a few sets a week of shoulder-specific stuff, for instance maybe 2-3 sets of military press and 2 sets of lateral raises in an extra workout. Add volume slowly...