Cardio seems to make me loose muscle mass

shaun1988

shaun1988

Awards
Why is it every time I do some cardio do I seem to loose muscle mass on my shoulders and traps. It puts me off doing cardio all of the time! Anyone got any suggestions???

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would rather just do hill sprints or push a prowler. Do you have your calories dialed in correctly?

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A few possibilities;

- You are losing weight too fast and sacrificing muscle tissue at an unnecessary rate
- You are performing too much cardio for your caloric intake
- You are performing a method of cardio training with is more likely to impact lean body mass
- Your diet is not supportive for the increase in extra training volume
- Your protein intake is too low
- You aren't actually losing muscle and it is all a trick of your mind when you look in the mirror

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do barbell compounds for cardio, or sprints. Use BCAAs.

That's actually strange what's happening to you though. Muscle mass is typically lost from extremities before anywhere else. If you're running a low carb diet, perhaps you're just 'flat' from glycogen depletion.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
A few possibilities; - You are losing weight too fast and sacrificing muscle tissue at an unnecessary rate - You are performing too much cardio for your caloric intake - You are performing a method of cardio training with is more likely to impact lean body mass - Your diet is not supportive for the increase in extra training volume - Your protein intake is too low - You aren't actually losing muscle and it is all a trick of your mind when you look in the mirror
That last one is very true! Placebo effect!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would never try to size myself up post cardio. Always compare / take pics post workout :D

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Use HIIT training. Also, keep cals clean and up. If you are cutting cals and doing a fair bit of cardio - your body will use muscle for energy.