Working out 3 hours a day

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Working out 3 hours a day


    Will working out 3 hours a day cause over training? I have a lot of time on my hands and want to devote most of it to the gym any tips?


  2. Quote Originally Posted by Doyouliftbro View Post
    Will working out 3 hours a day cause over training? I have a lot of time on my hands and want to devote most of it to the gym any tips?
    Unless you're on steroids I wouldn't do it. Just my two cents
    •   
       


  3. Quote Originally Posted by JD261985 View Post
    Unless you're on steroids I wouldn't do it. Just my two cents
    Will it seriously hinder my progress ? I'm not on the juice only on basic supps, i just feel like an hour isn't cutting it ya know?

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Doyouliftbro View Post
    Will it seriously hinder my progress ? I'm not on the juice only on basic supps, i just feel like an hour isn't cutting it ya know?
    To add I didn't mean every single day my split is currently 2 days on 1 day off but I want to workout for 3 hours on my workout days

  5. Depends on your goals, the rest periods between sets, etc.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by Doyouliftbro View Post
    Will working out 3 hours a day cause over training? I have a lot of time on my hands and want to devote most of it to the gym any tips?
    It's not gonna make u gain more size... There's no need to train for 3 hrs.. Gear or no gear.....

  7. Working out that long makes you reach a point of "diminishing returns". Your body will stop progressing over time, and there is some indication that you actually start seeing a LOSS in progression. No studies that I know of prove that to be the case, but there is a lot of anecdotle evidence.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by Doyouliftbro View Post
    Will working out 3 hours a day cause over training? I have a lot of time on my hands and want to devote most of it to the gym any tips?
    people seem not to realize it is not like ping pong or cricket where hours spent associates with amelioration
    "To your wife you should kiss try today"-Touey

    Brotato's bark brings shakes to the pups in the yard

  9. Don't see any need for more than an hour training. You could use some of that other time to stretch, foam roll and get some cardio in.
    Follow me on my log to life and lift: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/229476-mtinsideouts-log-life.html

  10. 3 hours is way overkill. Spend an hour in the gym and go outside to use that muscle doing something else functional.

  11. **** 3 hours a day. That's nuts, I use to train for 60-90min and now I train at the very most 60 min. Your body dosent need that long to destroy a muscle if your training hard and hitting failure it should really only be 1 -3 sets per muscle. I know some massive guys that are in and out in 30

  12. Quote Originally Posted by thyrod View Post
    Your body dosent need that long to destroy a muscle if your training hard and hitting failure it should really only be 1 -3 sets per muscle.
    Well, no. But, you are correct on the rest.

  13. Should I just start doing 2 a days then ?

  14. Should I do 2 a days then?

  15. You better be pounding calories if you're doing 2 a days. I don't believe in the "you must only lift for 45-60 minutes max". If I want to life for 1.5 -2 hours, the. I ****ing will. And I look better than 90% of my gym. Do what you want. Eat a huge surplus if you plan to train for more than 60 minutes.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by Doyouliftbro View Post
    Should I do 2 a days then?
    On my days off I can spend two hours easily in the gym but not all of it is hitting weights. Ill split it between cardio foam rolling and weights.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by EatMoar View Post
    You better be pounding calories if you're doing 2 a days. I don't believe in the "you must only lift for 45-60 minutes max". If I want to life for 1.5 -2 hours, the. I ****ing will. And I look better than 90% of my gym. Do what you want. Eat a huge surplus if you plan to train for more than 60 minutes.
    Dude that's what I'm saying, I know some jacked ass guys that workout for 2-3 hours in the gym

  18. Quote Originally Posted by Doyouliftbro View Post
    Dude that's what I'm saying, I know some jacked ass guys that workout for 2-3 hours in the gym
    Most likely on juice but it can be done

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Doyouliftbro View Post
    Dude that's what I'm saying, I know some jacked ass guys that workout for 2-3 hours in the gym
    Most likely on juice but it can be done

  20. Olympic lifters (US, so natty) can put in some 18 hours a week during offseason, I've seen successful powerlifters do up to 14 hours a week.
    I say try it and see how it works for you. If it doesn't make you happy, stop. If it does, keep doing it. No need to be hypothetical about it.

  21. How can anyone (myself included) comment on this question without knowing (and not limited to):

    Training experience
    Energy intake
    Goals
    Exercises
    Sets
    Reps
    Rest
    Load intensity
    Frequency
    Periodization/progression
    Variation
    Planned reduced loading periods
    Recovery strategies
    Movement quality and postural deviations
    Injury history

  22. Regardless if it's beneficial to train that long or not....who has time these days to spend 3 hours in the gym?
    Mind and Muscle Rep, mindandmuscle.com
    Selling APS, LG, Liquid Labs, Iforce, ALRI, and HI Tech products
    use code: bktee at checkout for a free t-shirt

  23. I did when I was in my early 20s. Now 3 hours to myself is a luxury.

  24. 3 hours training can be done. I do it today when I work away from home to burn time. Actually I progressed. I work in the energy field. I work 12 hr shifts, sleep 5-6 hrs and hit the gym. I have many logs to prove it. No I'm not eating a ton of calories and I made crazy gains. In fact, I hit my biggest bench when I trained this way by last November 17, 2013 @ 440 lbs and broke a Masters Bench Record. It got me over a plateau. Yes, all natural, never utilized AAS or Ph's. In fact, my supplements are protein, creating, multivitamins and sometimes fat burners and test boosters. When you have this kind of time, you have to get creative. I overlapped body parts and even benched up to 4 times a week. No I'm not 20 or even 30. In fact, I'm 40. It can be done. I tend to follow people like CT Fletcher and Mike Rashid.
    Lets Say you do everything that you are supposed to do. You check all the boxes. You Believe, you prepare, you work, you fight, and you know your why, and Life still catches you on your blindside..... Just remember Failure Is Never Final !!!!

  25. IMO anything over an hour is too much. Your body becomes catabolic instead of anabolic. I stick to one body part per day 45-60 mins. Very heavy. Post workout meal right after. Now if you're adding cardio in after I suggest taking post workout after lift and and before cardio to avoid the catabolic state.

  26. Just listen to what your body tells you. If you can handle it and are progressing, then go for it. If not, then don't. Pretty simple

  27. Quote Originally Posted by megatron2222 View Post
    IMO anything over an hour is too much. Your body becomes catabolic instead of anabolic. I stick to one body part per day 45-60 mins. Very heavy. Post workout meal right after. Now if you're adding cardio in after I suggest taking post workout after lift and and before cardio to avoid the catabolic state.
    That is way too general. Yes, for the type of workout you do by only sticking to one single body part, about 50 min is optimal. But, to say that your body goes catabolic if you workout more than 60 min is just plain wrong.

    In any case, if someone is going to go over 60 or so min, then they would likely be consuming BCAAs intra.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by kisaj View Post
    That is way too general. Yes, for the type of workout you do by only sticking to one single body part, about 50 min is optimal. But, to say that your body goes catabolic if you workout more than 60 min is just plain wrong. In any case, if someone is going to go over 60 or so min, then they would likely be consuming BCAAs intra.
    True that it's general. I should have been more specific and said that goes for myself. My bad. I know if I do more than 16 working sets I'm doing more harm than good. I go catabolic and break down that muscle too much after an hour.

  29. Okay sounds good thx for the tips

  30. If your question is from less experience with your body and only taking into account, that "more is better", or the more time in the gym will equate to more progress!? No, not really an accurate assessment. Way to many lifters in great elite shape and with great elite strength, spend half that time in the gym.
    If on the other hand, you have specific goal(s) that you will need to spend that much time perfecting lifts, body parts etc. etc., then higher time frames may come more into play.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Working out every other day
    By stevewonders in forum Workout Logs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2013, 04:43 AM
  2. ADVISE NEEDED!!! Working out twice per day... bad idea?!
    By Insidious1 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM
  3. is it a bad idea to work out twice a day?
    By GetDatFool in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 10:09 PM
  4. work out 2x a day
    By doyoudo911 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM
  5. working out 3 days a week
    By Bigguy851 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Log in
Log in