the back look

GottaMakeIt

Awards
hi
another back question :lol:
I noticed that some people have backs that look like a snake's hood when viewed from the side, while others have straight backs
We all know the muscle shape is genetic, keeping that in mind , is there any exercise that you can do (or overdo) or any specific muscle that you can over-develope that will give you that *cobra hood* look. I dont know how else to explain it
I was think that overdeveloping the rear delts and/or traps will help give you that look

comments??

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Cobra-hood is from lats being well developed. Any good lat exercises done right.

ManBeast

GottaMakeIt

Awards
Cobra-hood is from lats being well developed. Any good lat exercises done right.

ManBeast
hey manbeast can you pls explain further?
I have good lats, very wide
but still they look straight viewed from the side, I want them to curve over

g4ud1n

Awards
  • Established
Try bent over rows, this has been a good exercise for adding thickness to my back.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Second that. If you have wide lats but your back looks straight from the side, you're lacking thickness. Bent over barbell rows, Close grip T-Bar rows, and deadlifts bro. Use strict form and watch your back thickness explode...

BV

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Second that. If you have wide lats but your back looks straight from the side, you're lacking thickness. Bent over barbell rows, Close grip T-Bar rows, and deadlifts bro. Use strict form and watch your back thickness explode...

BV
I have the opposite problem. My back is insanely THICK but my lat flare is weak :( My chest measurement in the avatar is 52" but from the front it sure doesn't look it. People guess me at like 250s or so in the gym then I turn sideways and they're like "doh scratch that 290"

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Bro its probably because your skeletal structure is so damn wide to begin with:) If you respond well to high volume work, one thing that worked to increase my 'wings' was what my kid brother and I named '75 reps of death' for chins.:)

You just keep doing reps of wide grip chins to failure, taking 60 second breaks in between each set until you get to 30, following week go to 50, and the next week go to 75. If you can't squeeze one out go to the gravity assist machine thing.

After that last week, go back to doing normal sets for like 12,10,8 reps.

It's kind of extreme, but its works well to shock stubborn muscles into growth. The same method worked really well for my calves, too.

BV