Study on muscle hypertrophy and timed protein intake vs carbohydrate intake

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, even more info that shows high carb GI post-wo drinks aren't what they're made out to be. SO why is everybody still using them? I dunno, but the fat they put on from doing so will hopefully change their minds. ;)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, even more info that shows high carb GI post-wo drinks aren't what they're made out to be. SO why is everybody still using them? I dunno, but the fat they put on from doing so will hopefully change their minds. ;)
Do you think there'd be a long term detriment to not replenishing carbs after a workout? Carbs weren't detrimental to the progress of the other group, they just didn't help that much if at all as far as muscle hypertrophy. What I get from this what I've always though, that if hypertrophy is your goal then pre and post workout protein is most important, and you can or cannot do carbs post workout. I'm sure the insulin rise you get from preworkout carbs is probably beneficial overall, and the added energy to use during the workout is good too.

newschool

Awards
interesting study. anyway it doesn't take into account nutrition, and that's a big mistake IMO. those subjects were "physically active on a recreational basis", so i don't think they dieted properly for hypertrophy. in that case, even 25g of protein supplementation probably had a big impact!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
interesting study. anyway it doesn't take into account nutrition, and that's a big mistake IMO. those subjects were "physically active on a recreational basis", so i don't think they dieted properly for hypertrophy. in that case, even 25g of protein supplementation probably had a big impact!
:goodpost:

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
There are other studies, a few of them quoted on Haycock's HST site, that show the timing of protein intake is important and has a huge effect on the level of protein synthesis.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I cannot open the link. What is the pubmed citation?

This spring I'll be working (volunteering) a day or two a week in the muscle physiology lab here at UK specifically investigating mechanisms of hypertrophy. I was talking with the lab director, and one of the things he said was that in these studies we are looking either at capacity or efficiency, but rarely ever both. Additionally, as strength athletes (and the lab director can move some weight) we know that recovery and hypertrophy takes place for much longer than just 4-8 hours post workout, so we need some work looking at what is happening 48-72 hours.

Br

NYiron

NYiron

Awards
  • Established
I cannot open the link. What is the pubmed citation?

This spring I'll be working (volunteering) a day or two a week in the muscle physiology lab here at UK specifically investigating mechanisms of hypertrophy. I was talking with the lab director, and one of the things he said was that in these studies we are looking either at capacity or efficiency, but rarely ever both. Additionally, as strength athletes (and the lab director can move some weight) we know that recovery and hypertrophy takes place for much longer than just 4-8 hours post workout, so we need some work looking at what is happening 48-72 hours.

Br
I would be extremely interested in your findings please keep me in the loop on this.

Edit: OP I couldn't view the link either said something about the URL.