What % of 1RM do you use?

1. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

What % of 1RM do you use?

Just wondering what per cent of 1RM most people are using here for strength gain

2. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

bump for comments please
  3. Gate Keeper

I don't really go by %. I use the weight that allows me to fall within my rep range. I wouldn't be able to use just one % value as it would be different with each muscle.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

Thanks for your response! For everyone out there that doesnt know 1RM stands for one repitition maximum or the most weight you can lift for one rep.
  5. Gold Member

Studies have shown that a person should work out with at least 60% of 1RM for strength benefit.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

Thanks D Town, its always good to get more opinions from people who know what they are talking about and know what works for them. Any one else use more than that for extended periods of time? If so, how long?
  7. Gate Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Knowbull
    Thanks D Town, its always good to get more opinions from people who know what they are talking about and know what works for them. Any one else use more than that for extended periods of time? If so, how long?
    Depending on the muscle 60% of 1RM could be anything. Basically what I'm saying is muscle fiber type matters here. I would focus more on staying in a certain rep range. JMO
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

Thanks jminis I appreciate that! Would you care to elaborate on the rep range. I know what you mean about the fiber types responding differently. Biceps are funny in comparison to triceps etc.
  9. Gate Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Knowbull
    Thanks jminis I appreciate that! Would you care to elaborate on the rep range. I know what you mean about the fiber types responding differently. Biceps are funny in comparison to triceps etc.
    Usually when I go for strength I stay in the 4-6 rep range. If power is your goal lower. Most likely you will be able to do atleast 60% of 1RM for that rep range but again it depends on the makeup of each muscle. Hell your left bicep is most likely made up of a different ratio of fibers then your right.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

My friend, you know what you are talking about and you may be a little psychic as I was just thinking that about my biceps (one looks better than the other) during my work out yesterday. If I lift 60% for 6 reps it would feel as if Im undertraining. I very rarely lift to failure. Usually 60% is what I use when starting out a period, for 12 to 15 reps, I try to keep my reps 40 or under per exercise, no more than 54 sets per week. Your expert opinions are appreciated! Thank you
  11. Gold Member

When lifting for a range of 4-6 reps, you would need to lift more than 60% of your 1RM. My post was in reference to lifting less than 60% of your 1RM would deliver hardly any, if any strength improvements. Lifting in the 4-6 rep range is lifting moderately heavy and should deliver good gains in strength. If you lift 4-6 reps, make sure your lifting HARD and HEAVY. I usually spread out my rep range. Starting at 10-12, finishing at 4-6, weight increases every set for up to 4 sets for compound exercises.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

Thanks D ! I appreciate your input.
  13. Registered User

I actualy train at 100 percent meaning I do lots of 1 rep maxes. I follow a modified westside routine. Loiue Simmons beleives if you train the same exercise for too many weeks in a row it will negatively effect your nervous system and you will get weaker. The solution is to train a diffrent movement every week. For example one week I will start bench day with floor presses and work my way up to a one or three rep max then next time I will choose a diffrent exercise like close grip bench presses for a one rep max. Another method that I use is called the dynamic method wich is using 50-60 percent of your one rep max and doing the movement as fast as possible. An example would be if you can bench press 400 lbs then you would use 240lbs(60%) for 9 sets of 3 reps using 3 diffrent grips. The idea here is to push with 400lbs of force even though your only using 240lbs. You should take a look at elitefts.com or westsidebarbells site. They have numerous other methods of training methods and tips on getting stronger such as using bands, weight releasers, and chains. I'd recommend buying a set of mini bands because I think they are one of the greatest most versatile pieces of equipment I own. Also contrary to what most beleive you can incorporate alot of the methods into a bodybuilding routine.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    4'6"   lbs.

Thanks JStrong good information that elitefts site is a good source for tips, appreciate that!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What Linux Distro do you use?
    By DAdams91982 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-16-2010, 01:57 PM
  2. what kind of split do you use?
    By doingwork30 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 02:10 PM
  3. What fish oil do you use?
    By vision in forum Supplements