Shooting Pain

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.62%

Shooting Pain

Any one ever have really bad pain in their forearms? I have sharp pain in my forearms that runs right along the outside of my arm next to the bone, any Idea what it could be? Feels like shin splints, but its in my forearm, the pain sucks. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.96%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

yeah i've gotten those, feels exactly like shin splints except in the forearms .. when that happens i lay off barbell curls for a while and just stick to db .. doesn't hurt as much .. then after a few weeks i'm usually fine to go back to barbell curls without pain
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.86%

Tennis elbow. And no, you don't have to play tennis to get it. What happens is that all the tendons in your forearm extensors come together and attach at the same point just accross the elbow joint. It's pretty common to get tendonosis or tendonitis there. Go to any sports store or big grocery store and you should be able to find one of those bands to wrap around your forearm near the elbow. the pressure of the band dissapates the stress on the tendons and aleviates the pain. As it gets better do some reverse wrist curls to strengthen it.

...And yes, I speak from experience. I had it years ago from holding a chainsaw in the same hand all day long.

Also, FYI, The opposite condition in the forearm flexors is golfers elbow. End of lesson.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.31%

Yeah, does seem like tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis). It’s caused due to inflammation of the tendon that attaches to the outside of the elbow, due to overuse of the wrist extensors. I am not sure if wearing a band would provide a solution, since it only kills the symptoms and could put additional pressure on support joints/tendons which would then have to bear any load. Further, the problem could resurface in time and trouble other areas which share the load to reduce burden on the affected area. Pain caused due to sports injury is mostly by way of referred trigger points, which is usually the root problem.

Extensive research has been done on myofascial pain and trigger points by doctors Travell and Simons. They have released two volumes on the subject. You can look those up on Amazon or just google Travell and Simons. You could also visit triggerpointbook.com - a stripped down version of the scientific literature for the layman. Look this book up on Amazon and read the reviews. I once suffered from shoulder impingement and tendonitis. Tried bands, rehab, RICE but any relief was temporary. Got hold of the book and it did work.

There are a lot of well researched articles on the subject of trigger points. It’s an area worth exploring since injuries are all so common. Here’s a link to get you started -
    http://www.sover.net/~devstar/trpdef.htm
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.62%

Thanks for everybodies input, I will try the bands and get the book, see what happens. Thanks fellas.
    Quote Originally Posted by rajscorps
    Yeah, does seem like tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis). It’s caused due to inflammation of the tendon that attaches to the outside of the elbow, due to overuse of the wrist extensors. I am not sure if wearing a band would provide a solution, since it only kills the symptoms and could put additional pressure on support joints/tendons which would then have to bear any load. Further, the problem could resurface in time and trouble other areas which share the load to reduce burden on the affected area. Pain caused due to sports injury is mostly by way of referred trigger points, which is usually the root problem.

Extensive research has been done on myofascial pain and trigger points by doctors Travell and Simons. They have released two volumes on the subject. You can look those up on Amazon or just google Travell and Simons. You could also visit triggerpointbook.com - a stripped down version of the scientific literature for the layman. Look this book up on Amazon and read the reviews. I once suffered from shoulder impingement and tendonitis. Tried bands, rehab, RICE but any relief was temporary. Got hold of the book and it did work.

There are a lot of well researched articles on the subject of trigger points. It’s an area worth exploring since injuries are all so common. Here’s a link to get you started -
    http://www.sover.net/~devstar/trpdef.htm
  6. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.86%

I can tell you that for me, the band worked wonders. I suffered with the pain for 9 months before going to a doctor. That was before I knew any better. I literally left the office, got a band, and went back to work that day. for a while I wore it all the time while working. After a while I was able to do strengthening exercises. Within a month or two, I was pain free and band free. Just remember you may need to rest it a bit before you try to strengthen it.
  7. The Axe Man Cometh!!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.1%

Had the same thing a few years ago when I used to put taps on tap shoes (hey it was a job and paid 10/hour while I was in college). But anyway the strap worked wonders especially if your in constant pain it relieves it instantly. And I hate to preach it again but ART works wonders as well.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Super DMZ 2.0 - Shooting Pains
    By K_9 25 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 11:56 PM
  2. Lower shooting back pain
    By vidapreta in forum 35 and Older
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-22-2007, 01:40 PM
  3. Repost on how to reduce injection pain
    By Matthew D in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6