Newbie needs a critique of his routine

Yogi

Awards
I'm new here so a big hello to one and all.

I've just started into the world of eating right and exercising. Three days a week I do cardio, and the other three I weight lift. Diet wise I am following the south beach diet.

Concerning my lifting though, I think, as I found out on monday, that I my be doing too much for someone so inexperienced to lifting (not to say I don't have the knowledge from all the reading, just not the real world experience of what works and doesn't work for me if that makes sense).

Monday was leg day, and this is what I did.

squats 3 x 8
Romanian deadlift 3 x 8
Leg Press 3 x 8
Leg Curl 3 x 8
Leg Extension 3 x 8

Well, it's a couple days later and I am still wobbily and sore as hell. It got me to thinking that maybe I've been doing too much, and perhaps a more simpler routine would be better.

I've designed one below that I would like critiqued. It's a simply full body routine.

MONDAY
Squat
Leg Curl
Incline Bench Press
Pull Ups
Military Press
Straight Bar Curl
Weighted Crunch

WEDNESDAY
Leg Press
Romanian Deadlift
Bent Row
Dips
Side Lateral Raise
Close Grip Bench Press
Standing Calf Raise

FRIDAY
Deadlift
Leg Curl
Flat Bench Press
Chin Ups
Military Press
Straight Bar Curl
Weighted Reverse Crunch

Figure about 2-3 sets for each lift, with 8 reps. Abs/calves I will go as high as 15 on.

So how do things look?

Thanks for the help guys.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Way too much redundancy even for a seasoned trainee. Large muscle groups like legs back and chest only need to be worked once a week. other smaller muscles can take a hit twice a week if you feel you must, but it really isn't nesesary for a beginner. 2 or 3 sets per exercise, and no more than 2 exercises per maijor muscle group. Also, allow for adequate recovery between workouts.Redo your program following those guidelines, and post back. We'll take it from there.

And BTW, :welcome:

skoal

Awards
If you want to lift 3 days a week, try
Day 1 - Legs, calves
Day 2 - Chest, Shoulders, triceps
Day 3 - Back, Biceps, abs

Pick maybe 2 exercies per body part with one being a compound movement. You should be in and out of the gym in about 45 minutes (that doesn't include cardio). Keeps sets and reps on the lower end. Even if you do one set of everything, it's more than the nothing you've been doing.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Way too much redundancy even for a seasoned trainee. Large muscle groups like legs back and chest only need to be worked once a week. other smaller muscles can take a hit twice a week if you feel you must, but it really isn't nesesary for a beginner. 2 or 3 sets per exercise, and no more than 2 exercises per maijor muscle group. Also, allow for adequate recovery between workouts.Redo your program following those guidelines, and post back. We'll take it from there.

And BTW, :welcome:
Agreed. Stick to the compound movements as well(ie squats, DL, bench, MP, etc) and get rid of those isolation exercises (ie, leg curls, leg extensions, lateral raise, etc). No need for that crap at this point.

nodgodbod

Awards
I gained good weight as a beginner using a simple full body workout twice a week (monday friday):
1 set 20 rep squat
2 sets flat bench
2 sets shoulder press
2 sets lat pull
2 sets bicep curl
It's simple and low volume. Do a search on the 20 rep squat if you want to know the full benefit of this exercise.