Someone please explain what is going on

1. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Someone please explain what is going on

Ok the title says it all. I can't figure this one out. Ok the question you ask, well last year I had surgery on my left leg there was atrophy mainly in my quads and hams from not being able to use the leg for 2 weeks.

Ok so now my right leg is the bigger one. I train hard and now about 1 year later my left leg is king ****. It looks bigger then the right now and it clearly more defined. Measurements all confirm this.

Same deal here with my left bicep. It's not my dominant arm my right looks a little bigger but my left is clearly more defined. Whats up with this? Fella's I'm looking for some answers.

Also note I did train with a knee brace for my left knee after the surgery for Patello Femoral Pain Syndrome. Do you think the brace made my left leg work harder hence more muscle growth. I mean **** I'm ready to let all my weak body parts atrophy then start slamming them. Hit me with some thoughts. J

2. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.72%
    Achievements Reputation ProPosting ProPosting Authority

No idea bro but I will bump the thread for ya.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.64%

All of my body parts are off by 1/4 to 1/2". It's not noticeable unless you take the measuring tape to it...

how off are yours? I don't know if this is totally abnormal unless it's like 1"+ difference....
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.87%

Without knowing the exact measurements it's hard to tell if what you have is abnormal. Having broken my left arm tiwce and having it in a cast for a total of 16 weeks I think I understand your situation. It has been a number of years since I did break it but to this day the vain in that arm, my weaker arm, is much more prominant than the other arm. That would explain the definition, and the definition might be making the one leg look larger than the other.
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.51%
    Achievements Posting Pro

are you sure this wasn't always the case and you are just noticing it now? it could possibly just be your genetics
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    are you sure this wasn't always the case and you are just noticing it now? it could possibly just be your genetics
    Have you tired strictly uni-lateral training? That might help. Maybe work the smaller/weaker side a little harder/longer?
  7. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    Have you tired strictly uni-lateral training? That might help. Maybe work the smaller/weaker side a little harder/longer?

uni-lateral training is pretty much all I do and did. Especially when I was trying to get my left leg back into shape, I busted ass doing extra sets for it. I just remeasured and it's about an 1" difference. I measured about 2 inches above my knee cap and my left is 21" and right is 20" Does anyone think the leg brace had an effect. I'm really starting to think it did.
  8. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by glenihan
    I've always known my left was little bit bigger but after the surgery and building the muscle back up it's just a lot bigger of a difference (to me atleast)

It's a lot more defined now when before it was just 1/2" bigger with no difference in definition between left and right.

I'm just trying to figure it out, mainly because I want to use this **** to my advantage
  9. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.75%

I have the same problem with my right shoulder being way smaller than my left, and I am right handed. All I can say is that it has (for me at least) a lot to do with the mental side of things. I concentrate so hard to gain on one side that I neglect the other, and mental focus is a powerful thing as I have found out.

What I do is basically train the lacking side as much as I would normally, while concentrating that much harder. As for the larger side I do a basic minumum amount to stave any atrophy, and basically keep it the same, make sense?

10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.57%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ryansm
    I have the same problem with my right shoulder being way smaller than my left, and I am right handed. All I can say is that it has (for me at least) a lot to do with the mental side of things. I concentrate so hard to gain on one side that I neglect the other, and mental focus is a powerful thing as I have found out.

What I do is basically train the lacking side as much as I would normally, while concentrating that much harder. As for the larger side I do a basic minumum amount to stave any atrophy, and basically keep it the same, make sense?
    Glad I've never had this problem. Of course I notice my right arm (strong side) is stronger than my left, but uni-lateral training has really helped bring the weaker side up. As far as size, there is no difference.

FYI Ryan- spelled officially wrong in your sig
  11. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ryansm

Makes sense and that's basically what I do I'm just trying to figure out if the knee brace came into play here. I'm tempted to wear it on the right knee for a few months and see what happens, LOL I could be on to something.
  12. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.17%
    Achievements Reputation ProReputation AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Maybe it's fiber comp. In unused muscles, more fast twitch develope. If your right handed and use your right arm a lot, it's gonna possess more slow twitch. It's really more complicated than that, but could help explain a little.
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    Maybe it's fiber comp. In unused muscles, more fast twitch develope. If your right handed and use your right arm a lot, it's gonna possess more slow twitch. It's really more complicated than that, but could help explain a little.
    That makes sense to me, if your using a muscle more then another it has to adapt more so for endurance to make the day. I didn't think of that. Maybe that's what happened. In that case I'll sit on the couch for 2 weeks and not move then hit the gym hard. LOL

Seriously though it just puzzles me I doubt I'll find a concrete answer I just wasn't sure if any others experienced this. Any thoughts are welcome.
  14. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.75%

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    FYI Ryan- spelled officially wrong in your sig
    Thanks for pointing that out.

15. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.75%

Quote Originally Posted by DR.D
    I think this holds validity. My right shoulder muscles are smaller yet more defined, and harder. While my left side is just a larger muscle group. . .

To add, athletes on a regular basis i.e. tennis players have this issue on their hitting side. Strange though Jminis that it's the side that was ailing.

16. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'2"  305 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    94.75%

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    Makes sense and that's basically what I do I'm just trying to figure out if the knee brace came into play here. I'm tempted to wear it on the right knee for a few months and see what happens, LOL I could be on to something.
    That would be funny if it works. I would have to look into a shoulder brace and try that out if it does, lol.

17. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    10.28%

From what I understand, usually a right hand dominant lifter has a bigger left arm, and vice versa. The reason is because the right arm is more coordinated than the left so it doesnt have to work as hard as the left arm to complete a certain range of motion, thus making the non dominant arm work harder giving it a stronger stimulus.
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.17%

That makes sense too, it can be an effeciency issue
  19. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Dawg
    From what I understand, usually a right hand dominant lifter has a bigger left arm, and vice versa. The reason is because the right arm is more coordinated than the left so it doesnt have to work as hard as the left arm to complete a certain range of motion, thus making the non dominant arm work harder giving it a stronger stimulus.
    LOL well sounds nice and all but Im not the norm here. I can do pretty much everything with both hands. Naturally I write with my left hand but play most sports right handed. For example in basketball I naturally dribble with my left and naturally shoot with my right. Try to figure that out.
  20. Elite Member
    Stats
    6'0"  228 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.17%

Quote Originally Posted by jminis
    LOL well sounds nice and all but Im not the norm here. I can do pretty much everything with both hands. Naturally I write with my left hand but play most sports right handed. For example in basketball I naturally dribble with my left and naturally shoot with my right. Try to figure that out.
    That is some freaky ****, how the hell did that happen? What hand do you throw with (like a football or a baseball)?
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.64%

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Dawg
    Ahhh...now it all makes sense! Thanks!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Please Help, What Is Going On With My Body/Test Results?
    By anaminds in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 06:34 PM
  2. what is going on with ace-031
    By ckey111 in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 10:05 PM
  3. what is going on
    By Young Gotti in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2009, 09:27 PM
  4. What is going on in the US???!!!WTF
    By Brian5225 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 01:27 AM
  5. someone... please... explain.. what the..
    By SVTMuscle in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 12:06 AM