Left Hand Tingling After Squats? - AnabolicMinds.com

Left Hand Tingling After Squats?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  185 lbs.

Left Hand Tingling After Squats?

I was doing squats last night (and have noticed this before), and my left hand is tingling afterwards, almost like when your hand falls asleep. I wasn't squatting heavy at all, 95lbs for 10 reps. I keep the bar pretty low on my back, my grip is a little wider than shoulder width.

Am I pinching a nerve? Or is this because I'm relatively skinny and dont have much traps for the bar to sit on?

It does not hurt. It just tingles.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  232 lbs.

Whole hand or just your thumb index and middle finger?
  3. Senior Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Was the weght on ur wrist or was ur wrist in a wierd position.

Other wise its stress on ur disc's. Decompress before and after see if it helps. I have had simular prob every now and then. Its related to my spine
    GAME ON! MOVAH FUKAZ!
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/231867-man-sports-gameday.html#post4047619
    •   

4. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

What's your bar position? If too high, it could be compressing a cervical disc...
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMac View Post
    Whole hand or just your thumb index and middle finger?
    Whole hand is tingly, pinky finger is unaffected though it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by murk01 View Post
    Was the weght on ur wrist or was ur wrist in a wierd position.

Other wise its stress on ur disc's. Decompress before and after see if it helps. I have had simular prob every now and then. Its related to my spine
    I let my traps (or what i have of them) support most of the weight, I use my hands to stabilize it and I squeeze pretty hard with my hands. I am not sure on my wrist position, ill have to check that. How should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    What's your bar position? If too high, it could be compressing a cervical disc...
    As low as I can get it without hurting myself.

I have been reading online and people say to keep a narrower grip and bring your shoulders together. I definitely have not been bringing my shoulders together, maybe that is it?
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.

Sounds like the same problem i have. When i do back squats by the time i am done with my set both of my hands/arms are feeling numb. Do you have to kinda force your arms back to grab the bar? If so like in my case its a lack of flexibility in the shoulder area. The forcing of the arms backwards and keeping ahold of the bar is restricting blood flow through your arms your hands are the furthest from your heart so would feel it more their. In my case it gets almost painful so i choose to do front squats instead.
  7. New Member

Your upper back is not strong enough yet and the bar is compressing your spine, don't do back squats for now and switch to front squats keep in mind if you are only back squatting with 95lbs you might only be able to do the bar only on front squats
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation

I'm with Napalm on this one. Check how your wrist is positioned when you are holding the bar. Weird angles could be jacking up circulation or making you pinch somewhere. Maybe try a high bar back squat, although careful with the weight since you admittedly have smaller traps
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  185 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrivest View Post
    I'm with Napalm on this one. Check how your wrist is positioned when you are holding the bar. Weird angles could be jacking up circulation or making you pinch somewhere. Maybe try a high bar back squat, although careful with the weight since you admittedly have smaller traps
    I believe he is right as well. When I got home from work today I grabbed a broom and squatted with that to see if I still got tingling, and I did. I think it is cutting circulation having my arms bent back or something.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.

Hope someone has a solution to this, i have the same prob and resort to front squats.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.

A few things to try...

Placing the bar a little lower on the back, BUT it cannot be resting on the vertebrae.
    Try different hand placement across the bar. Move the hands in or out some.
    Are the thumbs over or under the bar?
    Does it go away if you roll a small towel over the bar, then shoulder it that way?
  12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'6"  160 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

How about using the Manta Ray squat pad? Distributes the weight over the entire top of your back/shoulders. Call me a wuss but I never squat without it (not associated with them):

http://elitefitnesslifestyle.com/manta-ray-squat/
  13. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

i find when i consistently train low bar squats i need to wear wrist wraps to prevent that numbness. or use a buffalo bar that seems to help a lot with my low bar and comfort.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  14. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfe View Post
    Whole hand is tingly, pinky finger is unaffected though it seems.

I let my traps (or what i have of them) support most of the weight, I use my hands to stabilize it and I squeeze pretty hard with my hands. I am not sure on my wrist position, ill have to check that. How should it be?

As low as I can get it without hurting myself.

I have been reading online and people say to keep a narrower grip and bring your shoulders together. I definitely have not been bringing my shoulders together, maybe that is it?
    Yes, bring your shoulder blades together. Doing that should force your chest up & out, and create a "shelf" for the bar to rest on your traps.

I set up by putting my hands in position, then ducking under the bar and bringing by shoulder blades together, then moving back and picking up the bar on my clenched traps. It's not very comfortable for the warmup set, but gets more flexible quickly.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Intense Headache after Squats!?
    By planetfuzz in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 01:55 AM
  2. Dizziness after squats
    By xcfhx6604 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 10:19 PM
  3. Leg tingles after exercise, should I worry?
    By marius in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 11:23 AM
  4. My Best PCT Ever *hands down* after 20+ weeks ON
    By CEDeoudes59 in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 02:39 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2005, 10:08 AM