Left Hand Tingling After Squats?

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
I was doing squats last night (and have noticed this before), and my left hand is tingling afterwards, almost like when your hand falls asleep. I wasn't squatting heavy at all, 95lbs for 10 reps. I keep the bar pretty low on my back, my grip is a little wider than shoulder width.

Am I pinching a nerve? Or is this because I'm relatively skinny and dont have much traps for the bar to sit on?

It does not hurt. It just tingles.

MattyMac

MattyMac

Awards
Whole hand or just your thumb index and middle finger?

murk01

murk01

Awards
Was the weght on ur wrist or was ur wrist in a wierd position.

Other wise its stress on ur disc's. Decompress before and after see if it helps. I have had simular prob every now and then. Its related to my spine

napalm

napalm

Awards
What's your bar position? If too high, it could be compressing a cervical disc...

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
Whole hand or just your thumb index and middle finger?
Whole hand is tingly, pinky finger is unaffected though it seems.

Was the weght on ur wrist or was ur wrist in a wierd position.

Other wise its stress on ur disc's. Decompress before and after see if it helps. I have had simular prob every now and then. Its related to my spine
I let my traps (or what i have of them) support most of the weight, I use my hands to stabilize it and I squeeze pretty hard with my hands. I am not sure on my wrist position, ill have to check that. How should it be?

What's your bar position? If too high, it could be compressing a cervical disc...
As low as I can get it without hurting myself.

I have been reading online and people say to keep a narrower grip and bring your shoulders together. I definitely have not been bringing my shoulders together, maybe that is it?

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
Sounds like the same problem i have. When i do back squats by the time i am done with my set both of my hands/arms are feeling numb. Do you have to kinda force your arms back to grab the bar? If so like in my case its a lack of flexibility in the shoulder area. The forcing of the arms backwards and keeping ahold of the bar is restricting blood flow through your arms your hands are the furthest from your heart so would feel it more their. In my case it gets almost painful so i choose to do front squats instead.

gymrat727

gymrat727

Awards
Your upper back is not strong enough yet and the bar is compressing your spine, don't do back squats for now and switch to front squats keep in mind if you are only back squatting with 95lbs you might only be able to do the bar only on front squats

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I'm with Napalm on this one. Check how your wrist is positioned when you are holding the bar. Weird angles could be jacking up circulation or making you pinch somewhere. Maybe try a high bar back squat, although careful with the weight since you admittedly have smaller traps

Stryfe

Stryfe

Awards
I'm with Napalm on this one. Check how your wrist is positioned when you are holding the bar. Weird angles could be jacking up circulation or making you pinch somewhere. Maybe try a high bar back squat, although careful with the weight since you admittedly have smaller traps
I believe he is right as well. When I got home from work today I grabbed a broom and squatted with that to see if I still got tingling, and I did. I think it is cutting circulation having my arms bent back or something.

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
Hope someone has a solution to this, i have the same prob and resort to front squats.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A few things to try...

Placing the bar a little lower on the back, BUT it cannot be resting on the vertebrae.
Try different hand placement across the bar. Move the hands in or out some.
Are the thumbs over or under the bar?
Does it go away if you roll a small towel over the bar, then shoulder it that way?

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i find when i consistently train low bar squats i need to wear wrist wraps to prevent that numbness. or use a buffalo bar that seems to help a lot with my low bar and comfort.

compudog

compudog

Awards
Whole hand is tingly, pinky finger is unaffected though it seems.

I let my traps (or what i have of them) support most of the weight, I use my hands to stabilize it and I squeeze pretty hard with my hands. I am not sure on my wrist position, ill have to check that. How should it be?

As low as I can get it without hurting myself.

I have been reading online and people say to keep a narrower grip and bring your shoulders together. I definitely have not been bringing my shoulders together, maybe that is it?
Yes, bring your shoulder blades together. Doing that should force your chest up & out, and create a "shelf" for the bar to rest on your traps.

I set up by putting my hands in position, then ducking under the bar and bringing by shoulder blades together, then moving back and picking up the bar on my clenched traps. It's not very comfortable for the warmup set, but gets more flexible quickly.